Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #1501
Icelander

Default Re: So, how great is Kromm anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
If it was anyone except KROMM, I would say that the hypothesis is too loosely formulated to be scientific (and it probably wasn't meant to be taken as such). It would seem to be very vulnerable to confirmation bias, among other things.
Perhaps he is testing us?

In any event, if KROMM confirms it, I won't think he's biased. ;)
Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #1502
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Hail and amen! .......
So, do I have a belated teen rebellion coming sometime in my 40s? ;)
Not necessarily. I also saw no need for rebellion as a teenager. I am now 50, and am still deeply committed to upholding the social order as He has established it according to His Holy Books.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #1503
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Dudes, you hang out online talking about killing each other with imaginary weapons in a made-up world. While geeky, that counts. Geeky kids got as much flak as punky ones where I grew up -- including from parents, who were afraid that roleplaying wizards made you a satanist. I mean, there's a good reason why geek and youth-culture subcultures overlap so heavily, especially at arcades, conventions, etc.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #1504
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Dudes, you hang out online talking about killing each other with imaginary weapons in a made-up world.
Well, yes. We have also formed a faux religion and devote more time to it than I've ever devoted to real religion...

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
While geeky, that counts. Geeky kids got as much flak as punky ones where I grew up -- including from parents, who were afraid that roleplaying wizards made you a satanist. I mean, there's a good reason why geek and youth-culture subcultures overlap so heavily, especially at arcades, conventions, etc.
The Satanism bit never made it here (not that I can name many parents who'd make a fuss over their children's religion).

Playing RPGs always seemed about as counter-cultural and edgy as any other hobby, reading or collecting stamps.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #1505
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Playing RPGs always seemed about as counter-cultural and edgy as any other hobby, reading or collecting stamps.
Not in this part of the world. Back in the early-to-mid '80s., some parents put RPGs right up there with heavy-metal music as a bad influence on their kids. I have memories of a junior high teacher who wanted to start a gaming club, but we couldn't find an RPG that the principal would accept. (She finally did say yes to the Indiana Jones game by TSR, but by then, we'd missed the time threshold to set everything up.) Even my parents, who were pretty open-minded about roleplaying games in general, were a little edgy about D&D at the time.

I think Doom eventually eclipsed D&D on the "Source of All Evil" list in this country, especially after the Columbine shootings. These days, from what I can tell, there's a few hard-core types that still villify roleplaying, but most people just see it as a little weird or geeky if they think about it at all.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #1506
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
These days, from what I can tell, there's a few hard-core types that still villify roleplaying, but most people just see it as a little weird or geeky if they think about it at all.
Heh, as far as I can see, roleplaying isn't even geeky anymore.

LoTR and Star Wars are mainstream these days, not to mention Harry Potter and similar. High school and college age kids happily play WoW, D&D and all sorts of games in between partying, underage sex and ill-advised drinking.

I remember being shocked when I found out that the only one at a table of a random sample of 19-20 year-olds I was sitting with at a coffeeshop who hadn't tried any roleplaying was the girl I was there with. And the general reaction was pretty much 'oh, really? Why don't you join our group?' from most of those present.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #1507
Anders

And I would like to add that since GURPS 4th Edition hit the stand, the number of non-state armed conflicts have been in a sharp decline p.44). If that's not incontrovertible proof of KROMM's divinity, what is?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 AM   #1508
Pomphis

The more people understand that a human does not have dozens or hundreds of hit points, the more careful they become about armed combat.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #1509
elShoggotho

Oh, the next round of the Holy Mead is ready! Not as sweet and with more character than the first try. All Hail KROMM!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #1510
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by elShoggotho
Oh, the next round of the Holy Mead is ready! Not as sweet and with more character than the first try. All Hail KROMM!
Sounds like me.

Lots of character, but distinctly lacking in sweetness.

;)

Tags
kromm