Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Reynard the Fox

Default crashes on program exit

Every single time my GCA crashes on program exit. I've tried reinstalling and the gca.ini reset in the FAQ, with no other programs running on the admin account. I only use DEP on essentials, and I use Windows XP Professional, SP3. I have the latest GCA Program Patch and Data Updates.

I don't lose any data, as it only happens when I close the program, but sometimes it leaves the process running in the background. It's not a big deal, because I don't have any problems running the software and I get a lot of use out of it; I was just wondering if this has come up for anyone else before and what they might have done about it.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
flyingwombat

Default Re: crashes on program exit

I've had that problem with GCA, especially when I have it running for hours and/or have a lot of characters loaded. Seems to be the nature of teh beast.
flyingwombat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: crashes on program exit

Sorry I didn't reply here sooner. I did some research on this, and there is a known issue related to my development environment and a compatability issue with a DLL. The details aren't too important, really, since there's not much you can do about it. What it boils down to is, in the next update, I've implemented a code "fix" that may stop this from happening for you, if the problem you're having is this one. The fact that it happens for you every time is pretty good evidence that this fix will help.

Just in case, however, I've also tried adding some additional shut-down/clean-up code to explicitly close some things that should normally be closed automatically. That may also help. We'll have to see when the next update goes up (which won't be for a while yet, I'm afraid).

But, hopefully, one way or another, we can kill this issue.

Armin

Tags
character assistant, crash, gca, gca4