Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2021, 09:53 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default TK Grap vs. High Strength

I've encountered a scenario a couple of times where individuals with TK attempt to grapple entities with extremely high strength scores. For example: TK 10 vs. ST 30. Normally the rule would be that if the person's weight is less than the larger entities basic lift then they are encumbrance rather then grappling them in place. This keeps a ST 10 person from grappling a ST 45 elephant in place. But TK doesn't have weight associated with it. How are you supposed to handle this scenario?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: TK Grap vs. High Strength

I'd just assume weight based on either TK ST as if it were regular ST or the TK user's weight, whichever makes more sense for the power. Note that as written, Basic 370 bases it on ST, not Basic Lift, and thus there wouldn't be any difference.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Or you could count the effective TK weight as 20 lbs, because that's the Basic Lift for ST 10.

Or you could count it as zero, because the notional invisible hands have no weight in and of themselves. But it's probably kinder to assume that the teke is concentrating on actively opposing the target's motion.

Or you could use Technical Grappling, which has a concept of "grappling encumbrance" (p8), a more general comparison of the ratio between target weight and grappling strength than the Basic 3x rule. If you're really into TK grappling, you probably want more detailed grappling rules than are in Basic.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 02-27-2021 at 06:30 AM.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
I've encountered a scenario a couple of times where individuals with TK attempt to grapple entities with extremely high strength scores. For example: TK 10 vs. ST 30. Normally the rule would be that if the person's weight is less than the larger entities basic lift then they are encumbrance rather then grappling them in place. This keeps a ST 10 person from grappling a ST 45 elephant in place. But TK doesn't have weight associated with it. How are you supposed to handle this scenario?
Technical Grappling solves it :)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote