Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
gronvir the spider-slayer

Default extra attack question

So I discovered this dilema while playing a weapons master character in a Middle-Earth campaign. We were fighting a massive spider, and i wanted to do as much damage as i could, but if i did an all-out attack, i would be exposed to many, many attacks. So my question is, could i have used the second manouver i gained with Extra Attack 1 to make an All Out Defence manouver?
gronvir the spider-slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: extra attack question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronvir the spider-slayer View Post
So I discovered this dilema while playing a weapons master character in a Middle-Earth campaign. We were fighting a massive spider, and i wanted to do as much damage as i could, but if i did an all-out attack, i would be exposed to many, many attacks. So my question is, could i have used the second manouver i gained with Extra Attack 1 to make an All Out Defence manouver?
No. Extra Attack doesn't give an extra maneuver, it only gives an extra attack. If you want an extra maneuver, you need to purchase Altered Time Rate (for any kind of extra maneuver) or Compartmentalized Mind (for extra concentration maneuvers only).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronvir the spider-slayer View Post
Extra Attack does not give an extra maneuver. It only provides a single extra attack during an Attack, All-Out Attack or Move and Attack maneuver. To get an extra maneuver during your turn you need the Altered Time Rate advantage.

To boost your damage without resorting to sacrificing all defenses, there are a couple options that spring to mind. First, you can target a hit location like the Vitals (-3 to hit, x3 wound modifier with impaling or piercing) or Skull (-7 to hit, x4 wound modifier with any attack, but an extra 2 DR). The GM may rule that you can't target some hit locations without accurate knowledge of an exotic monster's physiology, however (typically represented by an appropriate Hidden Lore specialization, or a background that justifies such knowledge). A giant spider may be simple or common enough that any adventurer would know it's weak points though.

Another option that may be available to Extra Effort (Basic pg 357). This is an Optional rule, so ask your GM if he'll let you use it, but it basically lets you spend FP to perform something akin to an All-Out Attack without sacrificing your defense. For 1 FP per attack, you can use Mighty Blows, giving the same bonus as All-Out Attack (Strong), +2 damage or +1 per die.

Finally, there are some techniques (from GURPS Martial Arts) that deal bonus damage, and rules for designing your own techniques. Custom techniques of course require GM permission and oversight. Again, check with your GM for what he's allowing in the campaign.

EDIT: Of course, you can always deal more damage by just making more attacks. You can split one of your attacks in a turn by using Rapid Strike or the Dual Weapon Attack technique. Rapid Strike gives two attacks at -6 each, which can be made with a single weapon or multiple ones; the GM may allow more than 2 attacks, at a cumulative -6 per extra attack. These penalties are halved if you're a Weapon Master. Dual Weapon Attack also gives two attacks, but at -4 each, but they must be with different weapons. If both attacks are made against one target, it defends against both at -1. A Weapon Master may improve DWA as a technique.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 07-15-2012 at 10:20 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
gronvir the spider-slayer

Thanks Sunrunners Fire and vierasmarius, that answer's my question well.
gronvir the spider-slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Miles

What books are you using? If Martial Arts is in the mix, consider a defensive feint (MA101). It's a good defense, if you've got the skill for it.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
Juca

In the same line, does "aim" counts as an attack? And feint?
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juca View Post
There is an maneuver that you can take on your turn called Aim that is the only thing you can do on your turn. Just like there are maneuvers called Attack, All-out Attack, Move and Attack, etc. Did I understand your question correctly?
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juca View Post
Aim is a Maneuver. You cannot replace an attack with an Aim maneuver (or any other maneuver).

The Basic Set obscures this with giving Feint its own maneuver writeup, but a Feint actually is an alternative way of using an attack. So yes, you can use your Extra Attack for a Feint.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Vynticator

This is all explained on p. B54; you can Feint and Attack. You can attack twice (though dwa or ambidexterity is handy), you can All Out Attack to get a third strike (but lose all defences) and/or split any one of the attacks into two Rapid Strikes at -6.

I think I am right in saying that an ambidextrous person with Extra Attack going All Out and using rapid strike gets a possible *four* attacks, -0, -0, -6, -6.
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
gilbertocarlos

Aim is an action, not an attack, so, even with extra attack, you can't aim and attack.

Feint is considered an attack, if you're fast enough, you can feint and attack in the same turn.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra attack