Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #21
TGLS

Default Re: [GAME] Synthesise a Cybercity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Actually, 22 million people is rather high, especially with 21.5 million of them crammed into just 20 sq miles.
Well, first of all, I messed up. I took my Workers per Acre figure and read it as Dwellings per Acre, so it was really meant to be about half as high for MDR (36 dwellings per acre) and HDR (324 dwellings per acre).

On sources I found two sources on the internet, which talked about dwellings per acre. They both stopped at about 200 units per acre, and low rise apartment complexes, so I figured even taller buildings could get about 50% more dense.

Beyond this these hold the averages problem; some LDR buildings are going to be huge houses with grounds, others might be tiny houses. Some MDR might be semi-detached townhouses or brownstones, others might be twelve story condo units. Some HDR are low-rise apartments, others are futuristic cities in a scraper.

Last edited by TGLS; 12-10-2020 at 08:26 AM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #22
Daigoro

I found the Urbanist article, which gives nice visualisations.

I also found this, which gives 500 dwellings per hectare as a 15 storey building. That's about 200/acre, so your 648 would be a 50 storey building, which is not unheard of now.

I'll redo it with your adjustments though. Do you reckon 2.5 ppl per dwelling is reasonable then?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #23
Daigoro

Answer Revised
Answer 10 [CTY] Area and Population
The city fills a roughly 12 mile square (19 km), making it 144 square miles (370 sq km, 92160 acres).

Combining this with TGLS's revised land use stats and assuming 2.5 people per dwelling gives these figures for the residential areas:

LDR 6.10%; 8.7 sq mi (22.5 sq km); 22,487 dwellings; 56,218 people
MDR 10.15%; 14.6 sq mi (37.4 sq km); 336,753 dwellings; 841,882 people
HDR 14.37%; 20.7 sq mi (52.9 sq km); 4,290,859 dwellings; 10,727,148 people

For a recorded population of 11,625,247 people.
(BTW- This is more than London or Paris, in a fraction of the area. (list))

---
11 million is probably still a lot, but I can live with that. And there'd be a lot of unlisted dwellings and people, but we haven't got round to that yet.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #24
Tyneras

It's not a bad figure, the city is likely far more vertical than any modern city where the vast majority of all buildings are 1-3 stories. If the city has multiple street levels, you could have 5 story buildings stacked on each other until the city starts to feel underpopulated instead of overcrowded. With the ability to build down into the water, that's more practical than it might first seem.

But its a cybercity! Overcrowding is a feature!
Old 12-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

36 dwellings per acre doesn't look like Medium density to me. It looks high. The 100+ stuff looks like something else altogether.

We can also remember that this is a a fairly old ultra-tech setting with a touchof over-the-top satire to it, so having giant housing projects with millions of people isn't totally out of line.

Question 24: How far out into the ocean is leaving the city? Particularly from the legal standpoint of when the "citizens" are considered to be "Stealing" their "Leased" equipment?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #26
TGLS

Question 22 [CTY][Name 10]: Name and describe 10 different districts or locales in the city.
6/10 Ecliprises Number 3164
The corporate namesake for this "city-within-a-city" was dismantled years ago. It was once one of the better places to live, now it's just a huge slum. The population is believed to be in the tens of thousands, but the current owners are not obligated to publish population information.

The Triads operate openly here; no matter how much YOU-Topia police forces may want to barge in and arrest people, they are contractually not allowed to enter without permission from the owner. The current owner is Viteri, Nagarkar, & Okabe, a small brokerage firm based in YOU-Topia, and not conclusively mobbed-up.

The omnipresent marketing still occasionally pushes non-existent Ecliprises vaporware. This is better than when it's extolling the greatness of the security system, which comes off as a rather sick joke. During Ecliprises hey-day, it was designed to keep criminals and riff-raff out. Now it just keeps everyone who can't bribe the Executive Landlord, Chanda Hurley, in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
11 million is probably still a lot, but I can live with that. And there'd be a lot of unlisted dwellings and people, but we haven't got round to that yet.
Question Roundup
Question 9 [CTY][Name 5]: Name and describe five popular hangouts. [One more]
Question 12 [CTY]: What are the kinds of things that don't appear on the land use reports?
Question 22 [CTY][Name 10]: Name and describe 10 different districts or locales in the city. [Four more]
Question 23 [CTY] Describe some of the criminal groups that operate within the Sluse
Question 24 [CTY] How far out into the ocean is leaving the city? Particularly from the legal standpoint of when the "citizens" are considered to be "Stealing" their "Leased" equipment?
Question 25 [CTY] What's the reputation of law-enforcement in YOU-Topia?
Question 26 [CTY] What's the population of Vagrants and Squatters in YOU-Topia?

Last edited by TGLS; 12-10-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #27
Daigoro

I don't have an answer ready to post at the moment, but I'll also drop a couple of questions to keep things flowing.

Question 27 [CTY]
Understanding that NeuroTech owns the city, who (or what) governs it?

Question 28 [CTY]
How do the city's elite like to visually identify their status?

Question 29 [CTY HIST]
What catastrophe is the city recovering from?

Don't forget to add questions, and try to double-check the question numbers! Things got hairy-scary yesterday!
Old 12-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #28
(E)

Question 29 [CTY HIST]
What catastrophe is the city recovering from?

Answer

While the exact cause is unknown, (and huge bounties exist for information) a bacteria with a few markers possibly indicating a genetically engineered origin was discovered throughout YOU-topia's substrate. Over the coarse of several years this plastic eating microbe consumed enough of the foamed polymer to both allow water into the city and to reduce the rigidity of the city's "ground". Fortunately the substrate was largely inoculated against further infection before anything too disastrous could happen.

That said, if you look closely you can see the scars, older areas and places where property rights are fought for tooth and nail have slightly (and not so slightly) off square geometries. Places below street level occasionally show the signs of hard to fix leaks.

The old substrate that was partially consumed also makes for easy digging, but inhabitants of this low cost subterranean real estate face the risk of being entombed by maintenance drones or workers flooding the open areas with replacement foam.

Question 30[SET]
Its Cyberpunk, so life is cheap, but what's the carrot on the end of the stick that people strive for?
(Becoming wealthy, getting off planet, some amazing upgrade etc)
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #29
TGLS

Question 24 [CTY] How far out into the ocean is leaving the city? Particularly from the legal standpoint of when the "citizens" are considered to be "Stealing" their "Leased" equipment?

You can travel anywhere in the 230 square miles of bounded by the Big N without legally leaving YOU-Topia (though some of the "internal waters" are quite isolated). Travel outside of the circle of 12 miles radius centered on YOU-Topia and you are outside the jurisdiction of YOU-Topia. The coast guard is quite active along the 50 mile circle.

Question 31 [CTY]
What is the coast guard equipped with?

Last edited by TGLS; 12-11-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #30
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Travel outside of the circle of 8 miles radius centered on YOU-Topia and you are outside the jurisdiction of YOU-Topia. The coast guard is quite active along the 50 mile circle.
If you make that 12 miles, it'll match the map I'm working on ;) Also, 8 miles from the centre of the N won't enclose its corners (the way I've drawn it.)

I'm also working on the assumption that the N is the above water part attached to a wider submarine island shelf, with that 12 mile radius. Does that sound reasonable?

Tags
collaborative setting, cyberpunk, setting, world building