Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #21
Daigoro

Default Re: [GAME] Magic Academy/University, World Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I figure that the disappearance could probably slip under the radar as a "Well, that's weird. Maybe there was a fire?", and be forgotten about. The appearance does have the advantage that there were no Europeans in the area until the late 1700s (Native accounts of their sudden appearance could be written off as an account of their settlement in the area). On the other hand, the university probably would have warped the settlement of the area to some degree or another.
Ah, I wasn't aware of the historical context.

So it gated over around 1750? By saying "Georgia Strait", would that be on Vancouver Island, the mainland coast, one of the smaller islands, the future site of Vancouver itself or another settlement, or maybe even on the water?

It seems that the strait was discovered in 1791, while the site of Vancouver was discovered by Europeans in 1808 and grew in 1858 with a gold rush. So that gives the academy up to 100 years of isolation, probably longer, only dealing with the local First Nations groups for that time.

That's certainly a very different history to what I'd first pictured, and has all sorts of interesting implications.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:00 AM   #22
TGLS

Default Re: [GAME] Magic Academy/University, World Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
So it gated over around 1750? By saying "Georgia Strait", would that be on Vancouver Island, the mainland coast, one of the smaller islands, the future site of Vancouver itself or another settlement, or maybe even on the water?
More or less. I would have written "The Gulf Islands" but I figured that would be so generic it would confuse the issue. Technically, mid-18th century was an oblique reference to Seven Years War (French and Indian War to Americans), where strife relating to the conquest could be a concern. My answer assumed a degree of gating that kept the University relatively connected (All this gating would be perceived on the others end as mysterious strangers showing up buying stuff and leaving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Question 17 [ACA]
Is Acadamie Montreal particularly renowned for any sports?
(d6: 1 sentence)
A17
Academie Montreal has a solid Hockey program, and has had some success in Curling and Rowing.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
world building