Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #31
DanHoward

Default Re: Apocalypse 1177 BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
But hairy smelly people trampling through a place leaving famine, plague, crime, internal feuding, and general lawlessness behind them is always a dark age for the locals even if those same hairy smelly people go home to sell their loot, build grand palaces full of viands, and concubines, and fan-waving slaves and poets chanting of their deeds.
These "hairy smelly people" had no effect on any of the great civilizations at the end of the Bronze Age. Egypt had some trouble from Libyan invaders but they were defeated. So-called "Sea Peoples" apparently raided some coastal towns but their attacks were no different to the operations of other pirates over the centuries.

Last edited by DanHoward; 01-24-2017 at 06:13 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:14 AM   #32
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraydak View Post
If you aren't in a field, it can be quite hard to distinguish between well supported but disruptive arguments, and well spoken cranks. Is there a good even-handed (which can come down hard on one side if that is the evidence...), independent repository of chronology arguments out there that isn't behind a pay-wall?
https://www.centuries.co.uk/
Old 01-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #33
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
These "hairy smelly people" had no effect on any of the great civilizations at the end of the Bronze Age. Egypt had some trouble from Libyan invaders but they were defeated. So-called "Sea Peoples" apparently raided some coastal towns but their attacks were no different to the operations of other pirates over the centuries.
But that's no fun. Luckily, in MesopotAfrica the Sea People are made of sterner stuff.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #34
jason taylor

Quote:
So? The story takes place in a coastal town.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
...I don't think a site by two of the authors of the book self-described as "The only book to provide a serious alternative to the accepted dating" can be described as 'independent' and while it could in theory be 'even-handed' there's no way a reader should trust it to be.

Useful link to know what the position is, probably, but does nothing to promote its credibility.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #36
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
...I don't think a site by two of the authors of the book self-described as "The only book to provide a serious alternative to the accepted dating" can be described as 'independent' and while it could in theory be 'even-handed' there's no way a reader should trust it to be.

Useful link to know what the position is, probably, but does nothing to promote its credibility.
I presented this site because I personally think it is worth reading. If my personal endorsement after researching this field for 15 years and writing a textbook on the subject is not good enough then I can't help you.

Last edited by DanHoward; 01-24-2017 at 08:27 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #37
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
So? The story takes place in a coastal town.
You claimed that these people caused the alleged Dark Age. They did not - not even for the locals.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #38
Anders

While you can probably argue that the Bronze Age Collapse and subsequent Dark Age never occurred, I suggest that for the purposes of this thread, we proceed as if it did happen. Especially since the action is going to take place in a fictional land. After all, I'm fairly certain there weren't Incanter mages running around the Bronze Age either so we are already into alternate history territory here.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #39
jason taylor

Quote:
You claimed that these people caused the alleged Dark Age. They did not - not even for the locals.
When did I claim that they caused a "the" Dark Age? And in any event, it is always dark for the locals however bright it is elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #40
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I presented this site because I personally think it is worth reading. If my personal endorsement after researching this field for 15 years and writing a textbook on the subject is not good enough then I can't help you.
If you really can't, that would suggest that almost no one believes what you're asserting. If you're just not interested in presenting further evidence, that's different.

Tags
bronze age, campaign, egypt