Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default 43's Truck Stop: Bricks We Have Loved

When one runs a truck stop, one quickly learns the First Law Of Trucking: "It doesn't matter how much the payload's worth, if it doesn't get where it's going."

To that end, when I looked for a tractor-trailer setup to get stuff to and from my place, I looked at armor first (to include tires and wheelguards), then other factors. This led me to my first T-T rig: A Crane _Wolverine_ hauling an Acme _Collector_.

"Rolling brick with decent throw-weight" is a fair description of this combo. As _VG1_ notes: The only Heavy Firepower on the _Wolverine_ is the three HRs; however, the three MGs are *very* effective at performing tire-ectomies on offending cyclists, especially with the added targeting computers. The _Collector_'s MG array is also light, but effective, and can have targeting computers added; the lack of dropped weapons can be a problem, but at least one doesn't annoy too many Roads Departments.

Where this rig really stands out is the epic amount of armor carried by both tractor and trailer. No side of the _Wolverine_ base model carries fewer than 40 points; no side of the _Collector_ carries fewer than *100*. Even tire shots are iffy against this rig; Solids fronted by full WGs are on all corners. And with FEs on both, Flamers could be squelched.

Tactics with this beast were simple: Anything which didn't get its tires sniped off got rammed. It worked quite well -- and it looked good on the accounts; all this for just about $160,000.

Eventually, as money came in, upgrades were implemented. The first was a variant on the "upgraded" _Wolverine_ -- while the 3-space turret was a useful add, the Heavy Laser was, well, Heavy, and Expensive, not to mention cutting into driving range (no Laser Battery). So I split the difference: I added a 3-sp. Turret in place of the HRs and Rocket Platform, and moved the three MGs to the turret, with Link. This allowed me to add a third crewmember in the Sleeping Area (which for some reason is accounted for in the _Wolverine_ design, but isn't mentioned in _VG1_), 10 points of Top armor, and a hand-weapons locker (1 sp./50 lbs. cargo), while keeping the cost just above six figures. Being able to focus the MGs on a target greatly improved combat performance; having another member on board made long-distance runs that much easier (Extra Driver Controls hadn't been invented yet).

The _Collector_ received a similar upgrade: Adding a pair of 3-space turrets, and splitting the six MGs between them, allowed the two gunners to better focus their attacks, and freed up two more spaces for cargo or some dropped weapons (I added a HDSS).

Sadly, as ever: Tech advanced, and new designs took over. I created my _Nashorn_ tractors, and _Kraal_ trailers; and the _Wolverine_ and _Collector_ dropped to the wayside. I did do some further "upgrades", if converting most of the plastic armor to metal can be called "upgrading" (all but 10 pts. Plastic converted to LR Metal, on both tractor and trailer); and the old beast is still soldiering on.

I'd call it a "happy ending", except it ain't over yet....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote