Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 05-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default 43's Truck Stop: Spy Harder

Back in 1983, Bally Midway released an arcade game called _Spy Hunter_ -- a game which did not involve any actual spy-hunting, but did involve Driving Fast and Shooting Other Cars (and Helicopters). Needless to say, this game was very popular with the _Car Wars_ crowd. "Drive Fast And Shoot Stuff? Oh, are we ever there."

This led, inexorably, to some of us trying to build the "player car" from the game in _Car Wars_ terms. Much Argument occurred concerning what size body, what specific weapons, etc., especially when some systems (like SAMs) hadn't been officially established yet. After a few years, though, when enough systems had been established, I came up with the following bit of insanity:

G-6155 Interceptor: Luxury; XH chas.; Hv. susp.; Sport PP w/PC, SC; 4x Solid tire; driver. 2x MG (L) [F]; 3x SAM (L) [T]; OJ [B]; SS [B]. Sloping/Streamlining; HTM; HD/ABS; O-d; Radar; LDR. Armor [P]: F, L, R, B: 50; T: 10; U: 9; 4x 10-pt. WH. Acc.: 10|15|5; TS: 135|155|102.5; HC 3. $31,368; 6,600 lbs.

Never did get around to trying to design the Bad Guy cars. Oh well.... :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: 43's Truck Stop: Spy Harder

Whilst this faithfully recreates the oil jet of the game, the oil jet in CW isn't as effective as the OJ in Spyhunter as the CW version is entirely passive.

In CW in a stern chase, the OJ only adds to other hazards or manoeuvres and there is no need to manoeuvre unless the driver in front is dropping some other active DW. In Spyhunter the weapons only fired directly ahead and you needed to switch lanes to keep the target in your sights, in CW this isn't an issue.

It might be useful on a debris littered road, but sadly the OJ on it's own isn't enough. You could achieve the game mechanics with an ice dropper, but then you conflict with the thematic.

However. I introduce fixed weapons into our campaign. These did only fire directly ahead (using the "locked-down" rules from spinal mounts). Since they could do away with the traversing gear they used the same weapon weight modification rules as pintles and tripods (there needed to be some benefit to doing it).

The addition of fixed weapons in a "Spycatcher" scenario might restore some of the balance.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
In CW in a stern chase, the OJ only adds to other hazards or manoeuvres and there is no need to manoeuvre unless the driver in front is dropping some other active DW. In Spyhunter the weapons only fired directly ahead and you needed to switch lanes to keep the target in your sights, in CW this isn't an issue.
[nod] The difference in rules is always a problem, but not wholly insurmountable.

For ex.: The Bad Guy car with the "Boudiccas" -- those never made it to _CW_, so simulating them requires some creativity (and as _Top Gear_ infamously demonstrated: They are a Bad Idea to begin with; first time one of them gets out-of-balance, it rips the entire wheel assembly off).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
Tequesian

As a weird bit of history that quite possibly no one is actually concerned with, The lead programmer for Spy Hunter actually based the car on his very own new Camaro RS.

Just saying as that should give people who are paying attention exactly what chassis, suspension, et cetera should be a spy hunter car.

Had an '86 once myself. They handle pretty well... except for that one time when it was rainy and I goosed it a bit too much at an intersection. Before this I had driven a '76 Monte Carlo and it takes a bit more gas to get it going from full stop.

The Berlinetta Camaro on the other hand, will spin around a couple times and stop in the middle of the intersection waiting for applause (unless you stay on the gas all the way through it... which probably gets you an accident).

Just sayin'...
Tequesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
Daimyo_Shi

This is hit in the Nostalgia spot, I remember fondly Spy Hunter. Thank you!
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote