Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
Proteus

Default Re: Semi-realistic Regeneration and corresponding Increased Consumption

I played around a bit with the ideas here and my own, and got this:

Quote:
Regeneration Bio-Mod (Regeneration (Regular), 25; Temp. Disad., Confused, -10%; Temp. Disad., Extra Sleep 4, -8%; Temp. Disad., Increased Consumption 2.5, -25%; Temp. Disad., Short Attention Span, -10%; Temp. Disad., Slow Riser, -5%; Temp. Quirks, Alcohol Intolerance & Nervous Stomach, -2%) [10]

You recover 1 HP/hour, but have higher maintenance requirements to go with the faster healing. You must sleep 12 hours per day (and are groggy after waking); much of your remaining time (~9 hours) is occupied with eating the equivalent of 18 normal meals per day, leaving only 3 hours for independent efforts. Food is metabolized quickly, so the body is more vulnerable to toxins (whether alcohol or decay products). Since most bodily energy is focused on the healing process, mental acuity and attention diminish significantly for the duration.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Since After The End introduced Long-Term Fatigue (which I've been using for a lot more than just AtE games), I've been treating (semi-)realistic Regeneration as costing 1 LFP per HP, which very handily abstracts away levels of Increased Consumption, etc. into “your body is expending lots of resources on healing, so you're tired and need to rest, eat, and drink a lot to make up for it”.

Both I and my players love the reduction in bookkeeping, etc. that this brings on while maintaining verisimilitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I played around a bit with the ideas here and my own, and got this:
Both of these posts are Solid. Freaking. Gold. I just had to pop in and say that. I normally don't. But these are awesome.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
dcarson

I now know the mechanics when my players have the Jaffa that have allied with them wounded. I hadn't realized that I needed that.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #14
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Both of these posts are Solid. Freaking. Gold. I just had to pop in and say that. I normally don't. But these are awesome.
I'll second that.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
McAllister

How does AtE's LFP compare to the role that The Last Gasp gives to normal FP (with AP taking the short-term FP role)?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
How does AtE's LFP compare to the role that The Last Gasp gives to normal FP (with AP taking the short-term FP role)?
Long-Term Fatigue are essentially regular Fatigue Points with a “generic” Hazard attached. You lose LFP and regular FP from starvation, dehydration, missed sleep and such, and you regain them only when you are getting regular meals and enough sleep (and at twice the rate if you do nothing but eat, drink, and rest for that day).

I actually have a half-written version of my own Last Gasp-style tiered fatigue system based on AtE's LFP — I like what The Last Gasp did in terms of making fatigue realistic, but the bookkeeping is horrendous, and I'm trying to take the best lessons from both systems and strike a good balance between verisimilitude and playability.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
Christopher R. Rice

Re: LFP and Regeneration. I think a custom limitation could be had here

So if Costs Fatigue (once per minute) is -5% you could modify that with the Hazard modifier. Since LFP is a combination of starvation, sleep, and dehydration, and environmental hazards. You could use the most costly modifier - Missed Sleep (+50%) as the base and then 1/5 of the cost of the others: Dehydration, +4%; Heat, +4%; Freezing, +4%; Starvation, +8%.

This would give a +70% modifier total to the Costs Fatigue modifier. Since this comes to -8.5% I'd just round that up to -10%. So it seems plausible that costing LFP vs. FP adds a another -5% to the final modifier. So if an ability costs you 1 LFP per hour of use that's -5%, per minute would be -10%, and once per second would be -15%. Honestly though. That doesn't seem worth it in most cases. I think I'd just do either a an additional -10% on top of the base cost or double the finl cost (minimum of -5%).

Become a Patron!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think nearly everyone agrees that costs fatigue -5% is absurdly undervalued for most situations. From all day every day to around 10 uses along with removing a useful reserve for other survival oriented abilities is FAR more hampering than noisy; makes stealth difficult, to use another -5% limitation as an example.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think nearly everyone agrees that costs fatigue -5% is absurdly undervalued for most situations. From all day every day to around 10 uses along with removing a useful reserve for other survival oriented abilities is FAR more hampering than noisy; makes stealth difficult, to use another -5% limitation as an example.
Not on target for the thread, please don't derail this one, Flyndaran. Start another one.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #20
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Indeed, I've been using PK's house rules for Costs Fatigue for years and years, and have been pricing “Costs LFP” the same as “Costs HP” — and “Costs 1 LFP per HP” for Regeneration as -15%.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio-tech, increased consumption, realism, regeneration