Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Trachmyr

Default Swimming Slowly?

The Swimming rules are a bit vague when it comes to the actual speed of "Swimming Slowly" (B.355)... how fast is this? And if it's real slow (i.e., just treading water), is there something equivalent to Overland Movement/Hiking, where HT rolls aren't required every Minute (but every 30 or 60 minutes).

I had wrongfully assumed that "Swimming Slowly" was 1/2 Water Move, but after rereading those rules, I wonder just how fast is it. Should Hiking rules (from High-Tech) apply? 1/2 Water Move = mph, but roll HT every 30 min (or just use the normal fatigue loss per hour rate of hiking).

Finally, what would be a fair value for a limitation on Enhanced Move so that it only affects the slow Long-Distance/Hiking speeds. I'm thinking somewhere between -40% and -60%.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Swimming Slowly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
The Swimming rules are a bit vague when it comes to the actual speed of "Swimming Slowly" (B.355)... how fast is this?
Apparently it's the same speed as normal swimming except over 10 seconds and modified for encumbrance (does that mean that Water Move normal doesn't include encumbrance?).
Quote:
And if it's real slow (i.e., just treading water), is there something equivalent to Overland Movement/Hiking, where HT rolls aren't required every Minute (but every 30 or 60 minutes).
Isn't that already the case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B p355
If you are swimming slowly, or just staying afloat, make this roll every 30 minutes.
What am I missing here?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Trachmyr

Swimming at you top speed (calculated on 10-Second intervals) requires an HT roll every Minute.

"Swimming Slowly" requires an HT roll every 30 minutes. But what speed is swimming slowly? It's not the same as you Water Move calculated over 10 turns, because that's an HT roll evry minute.

-------------------

I've never seen Hiking rules extended to swimming before, that's why I was asking if it would be appropriate.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

The world record for 50 meters is a hair over 5 miles per hour or move 2.5. Swimming speed is below the resolution of gurps movement scores in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Swimming speed is below the resolution of gurps movement scores in my opinion.
Over half hour time frames? Everybody that can swim at all swims faster than that.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The world record for 50 meters is a hair over 5 miles per hour or move 2.5. Swimming speed is below the resolution of gurps movement scores in my opinion.
But this is for an amphibious species, where members need to cross large open stretches of water on a fairly regular basis. I'm working with Water Moves of 3 to 8, with 4 and 5 being average. Treks of dozens of miles, sometimes hundreds of miles is common, and rolling HT once per minute and allowing top swim speed the entire time is not acceptable. I need something comparable to Hiking Speeds, but for water.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
But this is for an amphibious species, where members need to cross large open stretches of water on a fairly regular basis. I'm working with Water Moves of 3 to 8, with 4 and 5 being average. Treks of dozens of miles, sometimes hundreds of miles is common, and rolling HT once per minute and allowing top swim speed the entire time is not acceptable. I need something comparable to Hiking Speeds, but for water.
For amphibious species I'd just use the rules from High Tech, I'd think.

Tags
enhanced move, hiking, swimming