Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
Anaraxes

Default Re: Enhanced Move, Slams, and Explosions

Meteors aren't necessarily a great comparison. The speedster collision doesn't necessarily convert all the kinetic energy to an explosion (which is to say kinetic energy of that "fine mist" you made of the target, and perhaps yourself). Whatever magical process allows the speedster to not collide with the air, or dust particles, or insects, could just as well serve when they run into people, or buildings, or cliff faces.

Does the speedster even lose any KE? Depends on how it works, of course, but let's say they do. Where does the energy go? Might simply be back to the same place as it came from to create that speed in the first place. As has been pointed out, the realistic source can't be the speedster's own body. So why should the sink? The speedster has some sort of tap to The Energy Cosmic, and it works both ways, granting energy to make you go fast, and soaking it back up when you slow down.

In other words, if you want to make things explode when you hit them, buy some explosion abilities. It's not inherent in Move. If you want strict realism in your Supers game, you're going to be stuck with some gritty low-level supers about on the level of the Mystery Men. The MST3K Mantra applies in full force here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman
So don't appeal to physics. It will just laugh at you.
Perhaps that's why physics doesn't appeal to so many. Nobody likes being laughed at.

Especially when they laughed at you back at the university. I'll show them; I'll show them all!
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
How would you stat up the Tunguska meteor as a character?

If we can stat up other inanimate-objects-as-characters, we should be able to stat up meteors, right?
Well info is sketchy and there is more then one way to do it.
SM 6 to 10 and is it ice, iron or something else?
According to Wikepedia the latest info was it was mostly ice and it did not entirely explode in mid air.
HP and DR will vary but of course are much higher then your speedster.

How I would buy a PC as a flying rock would be build the rock or ice body, give it flight and a 1 shot explosion power for the airburst.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #33
Langy

If you want your Slam damage to create explosions, just add the Explosion, +50% modifier to your Slam damage. This will cost something like 1.5 million CP.

But yes, if I were your GM, I wouldn't allow you to get the massive explosion that physics says you get while also ignoring all the other things physics says happens to you. You get what you pay for, and you did not pay for explosions.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #34
the_matrix_walker

Rather than using modified ST based damage, I wold recommend simply buying an area attack as a "Follow-Up" attack for use with your slam.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Rather than using modified ST based damage, I wold recommend simply buying an area attack as a "Follow-Up" attack for use with your slam.
Or an alternative ability of the enhanced move.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Or an alternative ability of the enhanced move.
Which is already an alternative ability.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #37
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Which is already an alternative ability.
Well, then it would just be another Alternative of whatever the parent ability is.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhanced move, slam, slams