Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Altering Spellcasting Costs in Sorcery

I have a slight problem, I love the Sorcery magic system but the mages in my game never run short on points to cast them. (I'm using Quintessence, and Quintessence Points to fuel spells FYI. One game has gotten quite epic, and the other is sort of X-fileish right now but could veir into a higher stakes game.

I saw a proposed fix for the problem on another site, but wanted a second opinion.

It was to use the cost of the spell divided by either 5 or 10 as the QP cost to cast. Every thing else stayed the same. So if a character bought a spell for 20 cp they would either pay 4 or 2 points to cast it respectively.

How badly would this break the game?
Old 04-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Altering Spellcasting Costs in Sorcery

Canonically, the Sorcery power modifier includes Costs 1 FP (Sorcery p 13). You could just add more levels of Costs FP to selected spells - having sorcery spells only cost 1 FP was a design decision.

Though since the vast majority of Sorcery spells are based on Affliction and then taken as alternate abilities, adding Costs FP will decrease the base cost of the spell by 1 or 2 before the cost is divided by 5, so there will rarely be any effect.

I'd recommend deciding for yourself which Sorcery spells need an increased cost. The game impact of that decision should be pretty minimal.

Tags
magic, sorcery