Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
dcarson

Default Afflictions as surgery.

In my starting soon GURPS Space 1889 campaign one player wants a mad scientist. We decided on a Dr. Moreau style PC. So Gadgeteer(biological only -50%) and he can alter things with surgical procedures. He has a Ally of a K-10 style dog with higher IQ and Disturbing Voice. I plan on adding other Limitations of the Gadgeteer since he won't have time to do much new gadgeteering at least for a while and giving him Afflictions for things he already knows like the IQ boost and adding speech to animals.

Does this seem reasonable? The Preparation time and Skill are that he has to do major surgery. The Delay and Requires Health is the recovery time after the surgery by the patient.

Affliction (IQ+1 +200%, Permanent +150%, Delay (week or more) -40%, Preparation required 8 hours -60%, Requires Skill Roll -10%, Requires HT Roll(target) -10%) +230% [23 pts]

Any other limitations you can think of, I'd like them a little cheaper so he can have several?
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Afflictions as surgery.

You really should get a copy of GURPS Powers: The Weird, which has lots of mad science for this kind of thing. Available from your local mad-science supplier.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
In my starting soon GURPS Space 1889 campaign one player wants a mad scientist. We decided on a Dr. Moreau style PC. So Gadgeteer(biological only -50%) and he can alter things with surgical procedures. He has a Ally of a K-10 style dog with higher IQ and Disturbing Voice. I plan on adding other Limitations of the Gadgeteer since he won't have time to do much new gadgeteering at least for a while and giving him Afflictions for things he already knows like the IQ boost and adding speech to animals.
I'd go a different route and just have him accrue and spend the XP to buy new allies as the campaign progresses. Otherwise, I wouldn't count on critters that have their brains toyed with to be helpful or thankful.

Perhaps a variation of Infection/Dominance that requires a lab?

Quote:
Does this seem reasonable? The Preparation time and Skill are that he has to do major surgery. The Delay and Requires Health is the recovery time after the surgery by the patient.

Affliction (IQ+1 +200%, Permanent +150%, Delay (week or more) -40%, Preparation required 8 hours -60%, Requires Skill Roll -10%, Requires HT Roll(target) -10%) +230% [23 pts]
I'd disallow Requires HT roll (target) since it already requires that even as a beneficial affliction.

Location, requires specialized, expensive lab seems like a good addition. You could also add mental side effects. If you are doing this on animals, you might want a few afflictions that can buy off mental traits along with adding IQ.

Otherwise, if you insist on being able to give out IQ+1, this is still a pretty good bargain.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'd go a different route and just have him accrue and spend the XP to buy new allies as the campaign progresses. Otherwise, I wouldn't count on critters that have their brains toyed with to be helpful or thankful.
Given the genre, it's entirely appropriate for them to attempt to kill the mad scientist.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Given the genre, it's entirely appropriate for them to attempt to kill the mad scientist.
True, but not much of a benefit then.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
Culture20

This assumes the good doctor wants allies and not just to perform “Science!”.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
khorboth

Allies seems like the more accurate advantage in general. If you want mad scientists in general to be able to increase intelligence, then just make it a feature of Gadgeteer for your world.

I would be inclined to allow a modular abilities pool limited to allies only and requiring an excessive amount of time to reshuffle points.

Also, don't neglect the Gizmo advantage for the character. Its interaction with Gadgeteer is a very cool feature.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:27 AM   #8
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You really should get a copy of GURPS Powers: The Weird, which has lots of mad science for this kind of thing. Available from your local mad-science supplier.
Already have that. Yes it has been useful.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1889, mad science, steampunk