Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
Draconix

Default Flight and Stun

What exactly happens when a flyer is in the air and they are stunned? I understand that if they have the cannot hover limitation they stall, but what if they lack this limitation?

If they cannot recover from stun or stalling, do they fall until they reach terminal velocity?

What if they have a rider? Is there anything a rider can do to help their mount?
Draconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Flight and Stun

Unmodified Flight only requires you to be conscious; Stun just stops you in place (or has you travel in a straight line, unable to make any attempt to dodge that tree).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
Draconix

Even if stun is the result of a failed knockdown roll? The reason why I think the flyer falls is because that's what happens when anyone fails a knockdown and stunning roll.

How do you determine whether a flyer remains in place or keeps flying forword?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconix View Post
Even if stun is the result of a failed knockdown roll? The reason why I think the flyer falls is because that's what happens when anyone fails a knockdown and stunning roll.
I don't think there's any situation where falling over translates to fliers automatically falling to the ground.
Quote:
How do you determine whether a flyer remains in place or keeps flying forword?
That's very easy, actually: If you're moving at high speed (above your applicable Move), you automatically lose control, continuing in a straight line and decelerating at maximum safe rate, because you cannot take a Move or Move and Attack maneuver. If you're not moving at high speed, you simply stop, because that's what happens when you Do Nothing as mandated by stun.

See Basic Set p396.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
It's not "a knockdown roll makes you stunned". Falling over from a slam doesn't stun you. It's "knockdown-and-stun", a single homogenous concept that has two sub parts - putting you on your butt, and stunning you - but it's more than those two sub parts.

They should have given the game mechanic a more distinct name, but we're stuck with "knockdown and stun" until 5e.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
Draconix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It's not "a knockdown roll makes you stunned". Falling over from a slam doesn't stun you. It's "knockdown-and-stun", a single homogenous concept that has two sub parts - putting you on your butt, and stunning you - but it's more than those two sub parts.

They should have given the game mechanic a more distinct name, but we're stuck with "knockdown and stun" until 5e.
Yeah, knockdown in the context of flight is what made me think a flyer will fall.

But if they don't fall from knockdown, what exactly happens? Can they unintentionally throw a rider off?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Yeah, knockdown in the context of flight is what made me think a flyer will fall.

But if they don't fall from knockdown, what exactly happens? Can they unintentionally throw a rider off?
Knockdown in flight is much like anime and Marvel/DC cartoons: the guy who got hit tumbles out of control, until they either recover or slam into something solid.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Knockdown in flight is much like anime and Marvel/DC cartoons: the guy who got hit tumbles out of control, until they either recover or slam into something solid.
Except they're decelerating at maximum safe rate, which means that unless they have a lot of Enhanced Move they're going to wind up hanging stationary rather than tumbling out of control pretty fast.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Except they're decelerating at maximum safe rate, which means that unless they have a lot of Enhanced Move they're going to wind up hanging stationary rather than tumbling out of control pretty fast.
Seems to me you'll move at the rate you were knocked back at until you regain control or hit an obstacle.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:54 AM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Decelerating is a conscious action, and is not allowed as part of the Do Nothing you are forced to take while stunned.

Tags
flight, stun