Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
MetaRob

Default Age of the Ethereal Realm

Okay, what's going on with my memory? Another example of things I'm certain I read in the books, but now do not exist anywhere: First was that some ethereals are very old, having been formed from the dreams of stars. And another passage saying that there is plenty of room for adventures in the Ethereal Realm before hell even comes on the scene. I've been looking in the core rules, Ethereal Player's Guide, The Marches, Gamemaster's Guide... Where do I remember reading those?

Last edited by MetaRob; 10-10-2014 at 06:50 PM.
MetaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
William

Default Re: Age of the Ethereal Realm

The Ethereal realm certainly existed long before Hell was populated. Blandine and Beleth had a Tower together before the Fall. The Tether that Lilith opened to Hell was through what became Beleth's Tower.

Depending on your interpretation, Hell existed but was empty from the beginning of Creation to the Fall, or it came in to existence at that time.

This now makes me wonder what happened to humans who met Fate before the Fall. Perhaps they couldn't, and simply reincarnated? Or disbanded? ("Your choice is not Heaven or Hell. It is Heaven or oblivion." "Gee, thanks, O Perfectly Just One, that's eminently fair.") I'm pretty sure Hell was empty when the first Fallen arrived.

Then one wonders what happens to human souls who met Fate after the Fall but before Hell was unsealed. Maybe Hellmouth was one-way? I'd bet that.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaRob View Post
Okay, what's going on with my memory?
Hopping timelines? I do that occasionally, too. It's very disconcerting.

Maybe something from http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=3268 ?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
This now makes me wonder what happened to humans who met Fate before the Fall. Perhaps they couldn't, and simply reincarnated? Or disbanded? ("Your choice is not Heaven or Hell. It is Heaven or oblivion." "Gee, thanks, O Perfectly Just One, that's eminently fair.") I'm pretty sure Hell was empty when the first Fallen arrived.
Curiously--if you'll indulge me being slightly off-topic--that is a trend in current theology. If you're good, your reward is immortality that happens to be heavenly. If you're bad you burn for awhile, and then you just cease to exist. It's much more Merciful God than a few decades of evil buying you an eternity of suffering.

It's called "conditionalism". http://rethinkinghell.com/
Old 10-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
MetaRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Hopping timelines? I do that occasionally, too. It's very disconcerting.
I really think so. I loaned a couple of my In Nomine books to a friend of mine; I'm sure one of them was the Ethereal Player's Guide. He and I were talking about a campaign I was thinking about and I was discussing how early ethereals could come on the scene to complicate things for angels. I said, "some ethereals are very old, being formed by..." and we both said simultaneously "the dreams of stars". So he read the same thing, but it has vanished from existence.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Curiously--if you'll indulge me being slightly off-topic--that is a trend in current theology. If you're good, your reward is immortality that happens to be heavenly. If you're bad you burn for awhile, and then you just cease to exist. It's much more Merciful God than a few decades of evil buying you an eternity of suffering.

It's called "conditionalism". http://rethinkinghell.com/
Mercy is ending the suffering you inflicted after some arbitrarily long but not infinite time frame?
That's an odd stance.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Mercy is ending the suffering you inflicted after some arbitrarily long but not infinite time frame?
That's an odd stance.
Not really. Mercy doesn't exclude punishment, it just makes sure punishment is lenient compared to the alternatives. Which is more lenient: eternal suffering, or a period of suffering followed by death?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
William

So Saminga is the most lenient Demon Prince?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
So Saminga is the most lenient Demon Prince?
Kobal: "Sure he's merciful. Isn't he doing his damndest to make sure that every soul stays out of Hell? Kindest demon in the afterlife, that's him."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:40 AM   #10
Omegonthesane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Kobal: "Sure he's merciful. Isn't he doing his damndest to make sure that every soul stays out of Hell? Kindest demon in the afterlife, that's him."
Andrealphus: Why do you think I'm at war with him? He'll screw us all out of playthings!

But seriously, Mummies are in a much better position than Hellsworn that way over and above having more Forces and serving forever. This might be changed if there was a standing plot point of the Hellsworn deal not being a lie - that is, if as part of it the demons were forced to actually keep to letter and spirit of everything they had to promise to get the soul Downstairs on pain of it instantly dissolving the moment the deal is broken. I'm actually kind of offended at the idea that only the mortal end of the deal is enforced with Hellsworn - especially when two angels so hardcore that Demon Princes explicitly dare not remove them are right there at the gates to go "nope nope nope nope nope" if anyone gets to Hell without being evil enough to have ended up there, yet they don't routinely sweep up literally every Hellsworn given that by and large their Fate-triggering sin was "got conned".

Last edited by Omegonthesane; 10-27-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethereal, ethereal player's guide, ethereal realm, ethereals, marches