Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Long-Term Geases & Resistance

The rules say you get a Will roll to resist a Geas attempt at the moment you get the request from any given Lilim.

Some Geases may be long term, and sometimes the implications of the Geas (what specific future actions - or inactions - might be needed to actually complete it) may be not entirely clear. This could be especially true when the Geas is not to do something (Geases like this are mentioned somewhere, can't find where).

So, question: if someone elects not to make a Will roll to resist a Geas, because they don't see a problem with the favour, and then later realizes what it might entail and wishes to resist, are they out of luck?

I think the rules say yes, they are, in fact, out of luck. But I was just checking. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Long-Term Geases & Resistance

I'd say they are out of luck. Because that's the way a universe with real demons should work.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Dalillama

You are correct. They're out of luck. That's the hazard of making deals with demons, after all.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

According to pg. 149 of the core rules, "When the victim hears what the Lilim wants, he gets a Will roll to resist." That's the one "out" that a victim gets; if he chooses to pass it up, that's his problem.

As others have pointed out, in the classic "deal with the devil" stories, the victim usually doesn't realize the catch in his agreement when he first makes the deal. By the time he does, the blood is dry on the contract and it's much too late to do anything about it.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geas, geases, lilim