Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Otaku

Default Partial Levels Of Super Jump and Enhanced Move

Enhanced Move already allows for half levels via RAW p. B52. Super Jump does not. As Super Jump is a multiple applied at the end of calculating Jumping distances, mechanically there doesn't seem to be an issue with allow a half level of Super Jump. In fact, for both Advantages, I am starting to wonder if this isn't a repeat of "Temperature Tolerance" in 3e; when introduced Temperature Tolerance was a 10 point/Level Advantage, but was later (literally) decimated as both the cost of the effect and actual Tolerance granted were divided by 10.

I don't know how handy such a thing would be, but as I was working on a Fantasy Folk style of race I realized that at least I could see a definite use, especially with how Enhanced Move can interact with Super Jump. Of course Jumping Skill is also an option, but all three together while allowing partial levels both keeps from inflating costs as well as providing more accurate movement statistics to what I had in mind; a race that is naturally a little faster on their feet at running, and noticeably better than humans at jumping (especially leaping after a running start) without being "crazy" good at it... and requiring training (Jumping Skill) to really show the full benefit.

So I am sure someone else has considered this... is there anything about this in RAW? Anyone using house rules to allow it want to share how well (or how poorly) it worked out? I was thinking of Enhanced Move at 2 points/Level and Super Jump at 1 point/Level, but the multiplier is now [1 + (Level/10)]. So one level would multiple the relevant statistic by 1.1, 22 levels by 2.2, etc.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Partial Levels Of Super Jump and Enhanced Move

I don't know if it would break anything too severely.

Instead of super jump, I used Flight, Requires Surface -20%. This gives an anime style super jump (Bleach, Blue Seed) instead of either normal jumping or flight.

The limitation is from Powers, and it means you must push off do a surface every five seconds or you start falling.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
So I am sure someone else has considered this... is there anything about this in RAW? Anyone using house rules to allow it want to share how well (or how poorly) it worked out? I was thinking of Enhanced Move at 2 points/Level and Super Jump at 1 point/Level, but the multiplier is now [1 + (Level/10)]. So one level would multiple the relevant statistic by 1.1, 22 levels by 2.2, etc.
Currently each 10-point level of Enhanced Move or Super Jump doubles the relevant speed / distance. 1 level is x2, 2 levels is x4, 3 is x8, etc. To keep that progression with 1-point deci-levels you'd need to have it multiply by 2^(lv/10) - two gives x1.15, five is x1.41, seven is x1.62, etc. Personally I think it would be sufficient to keep it with 5-point half-levels, rounded up to x1.5 (as is currently done with Enhanced Move). It's simpler, and the extra resolution of 1-point levels just doesn't seem worth it, especially considering that Sprinting already allows a character to exceed their normal Move score by 20% (effectively Enhanced Move 0.3).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I don't know if it would break anything too severely.

Instead of super jump, I used Flight, Requires Surface -20%. This gives an anime style super jump (Bleach, Blue Seed) instead of either normal jumping or flight.

The limitation is from Powers, and it means you must push off do a surface every five seconds or you start falling.
Thanks. I'd seen that before, but no longer have access to Powers. While it is something I was needing, it wasn't for this particular question; I really am just looking for a way to further fine tune jumping distances. The "Fantasy" race I was working on were inspired by hares, but so far removed that they resemble Elves (to the Elves great annoyance).

I was working on three "power levels" for the race, because I hadn't decided the exact nature of any hypothetical campaign I might use them in: one at the Racial Template Level of Basic Set, one at the more detailed* level of Fantasy Folk, and one for the high point level of four color fantasy setting (or as the "not from around here" kind of Super in something more modern). That Advantage is pretty much exactly what I needed for the last of those three. ;)

My question is more looking at the base or slightly more advanced "power level". A bit like if I wanted to do a rabbit themed Super I would give him at least a few Hearing related Advantages (even ones rabbits don't normally have), but at the super simple, budget race I'd just add a level or two of Acute Hearing. Though perhaps not extremely simple, being able to add Enhanced Move (Ground) x 0.1 [2]* and Super Jump x 0.1 [1]* plus racially learned Jumping @ DX** fits both points and concept a lot better than extremely limited Flight, playing with Attributes/Secondary Characteristics/Jump Skill for similar results and definitely better than having to overpay and just disallowing the full benefits of the paid for Advantage.

*Phrasing it in light of the RAW point costs; wasn't sure if that was more or less confusing that using my suggested altered notation from the first post
**In part because of slightly increased capability and in part because they think differently than actual humans: "Of course we jump to do that, why would we walk or climb or build stairs?"
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 05-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Currently each 10-point level of Enhanced Move or Super Jump doubles the relevant speed / distance. 1 level is x2, 2 levels is x4, 3 is x8, etc. To keep that progression with 1-point deci-levels you'd need to have it multiply by 2^(lv/10) - two gives x1.15, five is x1.41, seven is x1.62, etc. Personally I think it would be sufficient to keep it with 5-point half-levels, rounded up to x1.5 (as is currently done with Enhanced Move). It's simpler, and the extra resolution of 1-point levels just doesn't seem worth it, especially considering that Sprinting already allows a character to exceed their normal Move score by 20% (effectively Enhanced Move 0.3).
That is what I get for rushing and not checking my math; I was mostly working with a single level and half level anyway (for Super Jump and Enhanced Move), and didn't bother scrutinizing my own work. ^^' Thanks. Now I have to ask myself... should I still change things but to use a simplified, altered formula. That would significantly change the figures for pre-existing characters, but that alone isn't enough for me not to consider it.

Though your point that a Sprint Bonus already acts like a partial level of Enhanced Move... I'll have to check that later. Given my own clumsy calculations it is less that I doubt your numbers and more that something seems "off" about it working that way.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Though your point that a Sprint Bonus already acts like a partial level of Enhanced Move... I'll have to check that later. Given my own clumsy calculations it is less that I doubt your numbers and more that something seems "off" about it working that way.
Sprinting (B354) gives a 20% increase in movement after a second of full-speed running. Those with Enhanced Move use that advantage's multiplier instead of the 20% bonus (accelerating or decelerating by their Move score per turn). I suppose if you wanted to have multiple partial levels below Enhanced Move 1 you could scale them from x1.2 to x2, instead of from x1 to x2, but again that seems like a lot of extra calculations for little gain.

Partial levels could certainly work on higher levels of Enhanced Move, where there's currently a big gap between one level and the next. It could also work fine on Super Jump.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 05-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
The Benj

I've certainly allowed a half-level of Super Jump for 5 points that multiplies by 1.5.
I think you're going too fine-grain though.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
I've certainly allowed a half-level of Super Jump for 5 points that multiplies by 1.5.
I think you're going too fine-grain though.
Yes, this is what I would do.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhanced move, jumping, levels, partial, super jump