Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Callidus

Default Han-Hunahpu and Xbalanque

So I was reading through the Asmodeus PDF when I noticed the Ulamalitzli sidebar.

I'm not an expert in Meso-American mythology but was still somewhat surprised that Han-Hunahpu and Xbalanque was called Aztec gods when they are Mayan gods.

Was this for a particular reason or a case of Sadly Mythtaken?

Also this is my first post on this forum. Hi.
Callidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: Han-Hunahpu and Xbalanque

Sounds like you've found an erratum. The form for reporting those is here, although it doesn't look like Asmodeusis on the errata page yet.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Callidus

And now after checking things up I have discovered that Han-Hunahpu is not one of the Hero Twins, but the father to Hunahpu and Xbalanque(who are the Hero Twins).

I will be checking this up more before submitting an erratum, I want to be really certain on this.

Though I still wonder how the Mayan Hero Twins got mistaken to be Aztec though.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Matthias Wasser

On-the-fly personal canon: almost everything modern people know in the INverse about the classical and pre-classical Americas is an elaborate fabrication, because the the Book of Mormon is a mostly-accurate translation of actual Golden Plates from the period.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Callidus

That works for personal canon but this is published in an official product, so people might take it as actual mythology.

Granted it's not that bad in comparison to White Wolf's Scion continuing to spread the misconception that Mikaboshi is a god of darkness.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Callidus

I have read through the relevant part from the Popol Vuh and some other sources. So I'm certain now and will be reporting it now.

If anyone wants to read the Popol Vuh too there are an excerpt on the Internet here:
www.sacred-texts.com/nam/pvuheng.htm
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
Was this for a particular reason or a case of Sadly Mythtaken?

Also this is my first post on this forum. Hi.
I suspect this was a case of Sadly Mythtaken.

Also, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Sounds like you've found an erratum. The form for reporting those is here, although it doesn't look like Asmodeusis on the errata page yet.
Then this will be the first entry...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Hm. I'm surprised -- I recall that the team who did the expanded Azzie write-up are generally pretty thorough in their research. I'll probably wind up tracking them down and asking them to check their sources, once the errata fellow gets to me. O:>
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Wasser View Post
On-the-fly personal canon: almost everything modern people know in the INverse about the classical and pre-classical Americas is an elaborate fabrication, because the the Book of Mormon is a mostly-accurate translation of actual Golden Plates from the period.
The question then is whether the IN fabrication is done by Heaven or Hell, I'm thinking Heaven due to the loss of the knowledge of the Nephites and Lamanites being required for the Book of Mormon to be a revelation and Joseph Smith to be revealed as a Prophet through that revelation (among others). Not sure how that works with AA Litheroy, but maybe that's what Aleamon was in charge of.

By saying "mostly-accurate" that you are talking about the difference between the 116 pages lost by Martin Harris versus the Small Plates of Nephi or something else?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Matthias Wasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The question then is whether the IN fabrication is done by Heaven or Hell, I'm thinking Heaven due to the loss of the knowledge of the Nephites and Lamanites being required for the Book of Mormon to be a revelation and Joseph Smith to be revealed as a Prophet through that revelation (among others). Not sure how that works with AA Litheroy, but maybe that's what Aleamon was in charge of.

By saying "mostly-accurate" that you are talking about the difference between the 116 pages lost by Martin Harris versus the Small Plates of Nephi or something else?
I mean that the plates are full of national and political biases, honest historical errors, myth, and outright lies - but that aside from some translation errors on Smith's part, these are the result of the original pre-Columbian authors, compilers, and redactors, not Latter-Day Saints. In other words, roughly the situation we thought the Hebrew Bible was in before minimalism went mainstream.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethereals