Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Twilite

Default Ethereal adventures

Hi folks! :)

I am about to start an In Nomine campaign with a group of Ethereals, but find it almost impossible to find any decent websites on campaigns set in the Marches, particularly good adventure ideas set in the Marches. Does anyone have any good information or links to help me out?

Thanks! :)
Twilite
Twilite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
William

Default Re: Ethereal adventures

I ran an entire Marches-based campaign for several years, for which the logs are here. The game is from the angels' point of view, but perhaps some of the ideas will be adaptable.

Some of the plotlines:

*) Heaven wishes to establish a diplomatic outpost in the Far Marches. What Domain would take them? Perhaps one having some trouble that some angels could help clear out.

*) One of the old gods offers a great prize in a big contest: a new Domain without a master. What's the catch? The Domain entraps any passersby. Can you solve the problem and collect a Domain to rule?

*) Quest for Repose of Midnight -- the Ethereal fourth pole, to match Dawn's Tower, Sunset's Tower, and the Mount of Noon (Blandine's, Beleth's, and Gabriel's Marches Tethers).

*) Tsayadite trouble.

*) A Vapulan lab in the Far Marches goes haywire -- pick your cause.

*) An ancient stronghold of Mariel, long abandoned and forgotten, with relics and records that have survived due to their security measures. Lost Songs of Forgetting or Oblivion might be found here.

We had difficulty with celestial combat and had to rejigger some rules, but ethereals will presumably not have so much trouble with that, especially if you're playing in standard IN.

One thing to remember is that humans are important, and sometimes it's hard to get humans involved in a Marches-centered game. If the players can access a Tether on occasion, it may help keep things lively; otherwise, lucid-dreaming Sorcerers or Ethereal Soldiers might make good NPCs.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Jason

I some notes for an all-ethereals adventure I planned to run for a new group before it fell through. Maybe they'll be useful to you. The premise: A bunch of kids' toys/imaginary friends leave the Marches to save one of the kids that dreamt them up. (EDIT: Whoops, just noticed you specifically meant for campaigns IN the Marches. Well, this still works with one direction I had in mind, with a human in a coma trapped in the Marches...)

The story:
Spoiler:  

(Mostly unfinished notes for) characters:
Spoiler:  
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

My SSO (Superior Soap Opera) had a long arc in the Marches...
http://www.prismnet.com/~arcangel/Ga...ories/SSO.html -- scroll down to "SWP+1," Small Favors, and go from there till they get back...

(SSO is a "third side" alternate universe. Short explanation: Jean psychoanalyzes Lilith into defecting, based on premise (apparently accurate...) that she is the Third Avatar of the Sympthony (Yves and Kronos are the other two), who embodies the Choice Between [Fate and Destiny]. Jean, Eli, the Grigori (including the non-canon Grigori Archangel of Knowledge, who inherited the Word from her Force-parent, Raphael), and a bunch of Renegades (mostly Lilim) join up. Janus does not, but is having the time of his life.)

Edit because I hit post too soon... As adventure ideas, it's a bit unfocused (i.e., it's what I was doing, rather than "what any GM might do") -- however, you might get some ideas from some of the locations the PCs visit.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Acolyte

This thread has some excellent ideas (my favorite is the faerie bazaar that Jason created).

For me personally, the Marches can become very interesting because the idea of A Correct Story is more powerful than the concepts of Destiny/Fate, resonance/dissonance, etc, that rule a traditional IN game. Even a demon of Lust will put his pants back on in order to stay alive, but the Ethereal of a helpless little animal might willingly let a powerful predatory Ethereal eat it, because that's what happens (and, weirdly, that might not kill the helpless one, which might soon be rebirthed with more Essence for fulfilling its nature). An Ethereal of a bottle of whiskey wants and needs to get someone drunk, or at the very least get smashed in a bar fight.

You know how in dreams everything just sort of naturally makes sense? Someone is there and she's your mother, but she doesn't act or behave at all like your mother, nor does she look like your mother, but in the dream you know she's your mother and that's that? (Often I never notice how odd situations are until I try to explain the dream to someone else--the sense that everything is the way it is and that's normal in the dream extends even into waking times.) Ethereals live that way all the time. Making that surreality come alive is one an exciting opportunity a Marches campaign offers you.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
For me personally, the Marches can become very interesting because the idea of A Correct Story [...]
That's a good point.

Seanan McGuire (http://seananmcguire.com/) has a number of filk songs (aside from her very nice books, and BTW, An Artificial Night is also very Marches-themed) about "Babylon Wood." Short form? Babylon Wood is where story characters go when they jump the tracks.

Earthquake Weather (lyrics, mp3 sample) is one of that series and... Honestly, one could do worse than steeping oneself in anything at http://seananmcguire.com/songbook.php that says "Babylon Wood" or "Rose Owl," when trying to come up with Marches feel. (Her Seasonal Monarchs -- summer kings and winter queens, or sometimes vice versa -- are also very Ethereal-like, with the patterns that they must walk because of their very natures.)

Warning, warning, her work may suck you in.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
That's a good point.

Seanan McGuire (http://seananmcguire.com/) has a number of filk songs (aside from her very nice books, and BTW, An Artificial Night is also very Marches-themed) about "Babylon Wood." Short form? Babylon Wood is where story characters go when they jump the tracks.

Earthquake Weather (lyrics, mp3 sample) is one of that series and... Honestly, one could do worse than steeping oneself in anything at http://seananmcguire.com/songbook.php that says "Babylon Wood" or "Rose Owl," when trying to come up with Marches feel. (Her Seasonal Monarchs -- summer kings and winter queens, or sometimes vice versa -- are also very Ethereal-like, with the patterns that they must walk because of their very natures.)

Warning, warning, her work may suck you in.
Not directly related, but I found this song looking up Seanean McGuire and related material, and it sounds like a perfect soundtrack for an Ethereal Remnant. The Girl That's Never Been. Escape Key's's performance is excellent.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
Not directly related, but I found this song looking up Seanean McGuire and related material, and it sounds like a perfect soundtrack for an Ethereal Remnant.
There's a reason that won Best Filk Song for 2006... *shiver* Yes. Or even an ethereal non-Remnant, if they were dream-born too quickly to realize themselves.

(Ah, there's the ever-fun plot: a lucid dreamer (who is/is partnered with a sorcerer), summoning well-crafted ethereals for fun and profit. Have they discovered how to drain energy and Essence from established ethereals, and they're creating bait? Is it a demonic plot? Is it an ethereal plot? And what can the PCs do when Dorothy asks them the way to the Emerald City, and Alice beats her head against the looking glasses, trying to get back...

Edit: Bonus points for taking the players' childhood memories and twisting the knife.)

Edit2: That song is on the Shadowbeast Album which is/was available on iTunes. *goes to download that and Thirteen to the iPhingie*

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 04-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, ethereals