Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Fireball Wristband

I'm trying to create a wristband that has the spell "Fireball" on it. However, I wanted the spell to be 1 second cast time, take no FP on my part, not require Magery to use, and do max damage. Is there any way to do this?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Fireball Wristband

The power enchantment will take care of the FP cost
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
I'm trying to create a wristband that has the spell "Fireball" on it. However, I wanted the spell to be 1 second cast time, take no FP on my part, not require Magery to use, and do max damage. Is there any way to do this?
Power to lower FP cost, Speed to reduce casting time though a 1d fireball is already 1 sec for magery 1.
The no magery bit will be harder but you could opt for Weapon Spirit or a new enchantment that lends magery to the wearer, possibly 1 college only to make it cheaper.
Weapon Spirit is the way I would go though.
This would likely be a pretty rare item. Few mages would likely be keen on granting such power to non mages. Also it would be pretty expensive to enchant.
No way to do max damage in RAW. I could see some damage boosts like +1 per die for the right materials or something.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
The Benj

Sounds like it'll be easier to do it as a Gadget with a Burning Innate Attack. Otherwise you need a revised version of Fireball that isn't a Missile Spell.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The no magery bit will be harder but you could opt for Weapon Spirit or a new enchantment that lends magery to the wearer, possibly 1 college only to make it cheaper.
I belieeeeeve, couldbewrongdonthurtme, that Kromm has stated that once an enchantment has all the Power necessary to cast and maintain it, non-mages can reasonably have access. I don't think they can do anything fussy with the spell once it's cast -- no good trying to do this with something like an ongoing illusion -- but for "point and shoot," it should work.

OTOH, Magery 0 means you shouldn't be able to use Missile Spells at all anyway, so perhaps I'm misremembering.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
William

Oh -- and here's the alternative from my homebrew setting.

Spell Stones are specifically said to be usable by nonmages. They're one-use, but not terribly expensive for a 1-FP spell, which can be Q&D'd. ($50/stone, plus whatever an hour's work from a couple of enchanters costs in your area. A 2-FP stone is $120 and can be Q&D'd with four enchanters. As it happens, the gem requirements are cheaper in that setting but this isn't relevant to you.)

The locals put these in lightning repeaters, which have a simple gearing system that crushes a spell stone and chambers a new one. The aiming can use Guns/TL3^ (lightning repeater) instead of Innate Attack (spell). RoF 1, RcL 0, Acc 0, attack stats as per the spell in the stone. Quirk of the Concentration maneuver, of course, says they can't be double-wielded.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Oh -- and here's the alternative from my homebrew setting.

Spell Stones are specifically said to be usable by nonmages. They're one-use, but not terribly expensive for a 1-FP spell, which can be Q&D'd. ($50/stone, plus whatever an hour's work from a couple of enchanters costs in your area. A 2-FP stone is $120 and can be Q&D'd with four enchanters. As it happens, the gem requirements are cheaper in that setting but this isn't relevant to you.)

The locals put these in lightning repeaters, which have a simple gearing system that crushes a spell stone and chambers a new one. The aiming can use Guns/TL3^ (lightning repeater) instead of Innate Attack (spell). RoF 1, RcL 0, Acc 0, attack stats as per the spell in the stone. Quirk of the Concentration maneuver, of course, says they can't be double-wielded.
I like that option. It reminds me of the Caster Gun from Outlaw Star (a very fun and very, very silly anime). I'd probably make the ammunition a little cheaper (tens of dollars rather than a hundred) to keep it a useful alternative to archers, but that's getting even further away from the RAW enchantment.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
I belieeeeeve, couldbewrongdonthurtme, that Kromm has stated that once an enchantment has all the Power necessary to cast and maintain it, non-mages can reasonably have access. I don't think they can do anything fussy with the spell once it's cast -- no good trying to do this with something like an ongoing illusion -- but for "point and shoot," it should work.
'Usable by a Mage only' is a finicky limitation on many magic items anyway, and one which really is heavily campaign dependent. The same goes for the suggested base items for most enchantments. There's no reason to take either "rule" as absolute - either can be adjusted to fit your campaign.

One might decide that all Magic Items are usable by non-mages, or that an item can be created that's usable by non-mages for double or quadruple the cost. Similarly, one could take the rules for Powerstone casting on inappropriate items and say that non-standard items have double or quadruple the cost. This means that a Wristband of Fireball useable by non-mages might very expensive to produce, but is doable without bending the rules too much.

Quote:
OTOH, Magery 0 means you shouldn't be able to use Missile Spells at all anyway, so perhaps I'm misremembering.
Most, if not all, Missile Spells do require Magery 1 to learn. However, Magery 0 allows you to use any "Mage Only" magic items, regardless of the spell on them. In fact, this is one of the reasons to make Wands of Fireball or other similar items -- any Mage can use the Magic Item to cast the spell, whether or not he knows the prerequisite spells or has the requisite level of Magery to learn and cast the actual spell. This makes Magic Items quite useful to those with limited levels of Magery, as they can acquire items for spells they are not capable of learning and casting themselves.

In fact, if one assumes that Magery 0 is far more common than Magery 1 (a likely assumption), this makes Magic Items for such unlearned Mages an attractive proposition in many backgrounds. While an Army might not be able to field more than a handful of learned Mages (Magery 1+ with more than a few spells), it can probably find a few dozen with Magery 0 and few if any learned spells, however they can none-the-less be press into service using Magic Items to cast various spells that would normally be beyond their capabilities. For races with inborn Magery 0 this possibility becomes even more likely.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 04-18-2012 at 09:46 AM.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
For races with inborn Magery 0 this possibility becomes even more likely.
I'm now picturing an army of Elves with bayoneted Fire Staves...
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Finalsora811

Ok now something a little more complicated. What about TWO wristbands that, when activated at the same time, make me have the Body of Fire meta-trait? Again, no FP cost to me, no Magery required, etc.
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fireball, magery, magic items, summon spirit, weapon spirit