Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Targeted XPs for learning on the job

Do any GMs keep the 500 XPs per memory point, but add bonus XPs for specific talents?

During this boating excursion each PC may take 2 XPs in Boating if they like.

Is there any limit, like say the three talents learning of first edition? So if you start gaining points in a 4th talent or spell you need to discard your bonus points in one of the others?
Old 10-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #2
David Bofinger

Default Re: Targeted XPs for learning on the job

I use something vaguely similar to this, but much simpler and much less aggressively restricted: see http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=14

I think your idea might be OK in theory but seems like more admin than I want or than the benefits would justify. More like a computer game idea than a tabletop one.

I would be against using the idea in the last sentence if the bonus XPs are at all significant, since it would make character advancement depend so strongly on whether you'd guessed the studies that fit the adventure. It might work better if you could have any number of studies, or if the rule were that you could accumulate specific experience in any talent/spell but only apply general experience to your studies.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote