Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-11-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
Maximum7

Default Is their anything to suggest their is smaller than nanotech in Star Wars?

Is their any evidence in Legends or Canon that picotechnology or femtotechnology exists in Star Wars and just is never mentioned because it is not important to the story? Nanotech exists. It’s been mentioned many times and it makes no sense that scientists wouldn’t try to go smaller. Is their anything that exists in Star Wars that could only exists with the presence of this tech. NOT the Force. That is outside the realm of physics and science.
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
Lord Azagthoth

Default Re: Is their anything to suggest their is smaller than nanotech in Star Wars?

I hardly doubt that the writers even know what picotechnology or femtotechnology is.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: Is their anything to suggest their is smaller than nanotech in Star Wars?

I think there was some Legends material that indicated lightsaber construction required the use of the Force to work things on a sub-nanoscale level, which may be around the level of pico/femtotech (at the very least, "must use the Force to construct lightsabers" is still canon, based on the lightsaber-building sequence in Fallen Order). With the fact lightsabers are impossible to construct without the Force, this implies pico/femtotech doesn't exist. Or, at least, it doesn't exist in the galaxy at large - if you need it for a story, undoubtedly some ancient Sith lord created some sort of pico/femtotech using the Force. Heck, maybe holocrons and other "Force-sensitive-only" devices use femtotech locks that can only be manipulated by those who can use the Force.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

No, I do not think that smaller than nanotech exists in Star Wars. Things like force crystals are natural phenomena, not products of artifice, so they would not require even nanotech (force sensitivity would allow for proper inspection and alignment so that the crystals do not explode when exposed to the awesome energies of their power cells). Anyway, Star Wars tends to build big rather than building small, so I really do not see anyone investing in anything smaller than nanotech.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Does starwars even have nanotech? that doesn't feel very starwars to me.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
Lord Azagthoth

Nanovirus, nanogene spore, nano-droid, nano-weave, nano-star, just search for nano in Wookieepedia.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Does starwars even have nanotech? that doesn't feel very starwars to me.
Late in the Clone Wars, Letta Turmond, under the direction of Jedi Barriss Offee, fed nano-droids to her husband, a Jedi Temple worker named Jackar Bowmani, and used him to stage a bombing of the Temple's hangar.[2] The resulting explosion killed Bowmani and twenty five others, with dozens more wounded and extensive damage inflicted to the hangar.[1]
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Late in the Clone Wars, Letta Turmond, under the direction of Jedi Barriss Offee, fed nano-droids to her husband, a Jedi Temple worker named Jackar Bowmani, and used him to stage a bombing of the Temple's hangar.[2] The resulting explosion killed Bowmani and twenty five others, with dozens more wounded and extensive damage inflicted to the hangar.[1]
That whole arc didn't feel very Star Wars-y, and left a lot of bad tastes in peoples' mouths (including how out of character it felt for Barriss to do such a thing with no build-up as to why). So if you're talking "by canon", that's one thing.

Now, I can see some practical nanotech for Star Wars in general - carbon nanofibers and monomolecular crystal matrices, f'rex - but nanites (nano-droids) feels too Transmetropolitan to be Star Wars, IMNSHO.

Sometimes, you have to alter the canon just to keep things making sense, tossing out stuff that doesn't.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Sometimes, you have to alter the canon just to keep things making sense, tossing out stuff that doesn't.
Old Canon also had cases where authors who got permission to write a Star Wars novel seemed to just used their own unfinished novel and slapped Star Wars characters into it (Crystal Star being the worst offender I know of), and dueling canon (the long-running feud between the Jedi and Mandalorian factions of authors).

Tags
nanotech, star wars, technology