Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-24-2022, 05:05 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Flatter XP curve

If per-session rewards remain at 60 XP then it's gonna take forever to add talents and attributes past the first few. The advantage of heroes of adding talents twice as fast as wizards just won't catch up with the wizard's starting pool of memory points.
The fix here is that adding an IQ point with XP (but not wishes) brings an additional memory point with it, and to flatten the XP curve to +200 per level like this:
  • 33rd - 100XP (2nd session)
  • 34th - 100XP (4th session)
  • 35th - 200XP (7th session)
  • 36th - 400XP (14h session)
  • 37th - 600XP (24th session)
  • 38th - 800XP (37th session)
  • 39th - 1000XP (54th session)
  • 40th - 1200XP (74th session)
  • 41st - 1400XP (97th session)
So a ST 12, DX 12, IQ 8, Myrmidon who started with Sword and Shield talents would spend 4400XP to raise his stats to ST 13, DX 14, IQ 13, and then spend another 1500XP to add the final 3 memory points for Sword Mastery and Shield Expertise, by his 100th play session.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:55 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Flatter XP curve

That certainly works.

But, if one is going to revamp the attribute gain chart, why not dispense with it altogether? One could achieve something similar by declaring that the cost to increase an attribute is the sum of ST, DX, and IQ. This drastically changes the dynamic under RAW that it gets relatively harder to increase attributes as one’s attribute point total goes up. And it requires a very different approach to awarding XP, but it provides a simple method of flattening the progression curve with the additional benefit of one never needing to go searching for an XP chart again.

The cost to learn a talent or spell could be the sum of the value of the character’s spells and talents plus the cost of the new one and its IQ level. This makes learning a higher-IQ talent or spell more difficult than learning one with a lower IQ prerequisite, even though the listed cost might be the same.

Last edited by Shostak; 11-24-2022 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Clarification
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #3
Bill_in_IN

Henry's table isn't too far from what I'm about to use in my game.

Due to promoting over compatibility among GM worlds, I was going to use the same chart up to 38 attributes and then make it less insane after that. That way, if GMs wanted to allow characters from other GM's games, they would know that characters from my game are compatible up to 38 points if they use ITL RAW.

34th or lower 100 XP
35th 200
36th 300
37th 600
38th 1,000
39th 1,300
40th 1,600
+300 XP for each attribute above 38 points.

This still makes it tough to get to 40 points but not almost impossible. And for all those Classic TFT nerds, it eventually crosses the Classic XP curve at 60 points. However, it is a harder curve for all points in between.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:53 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

I've been considering a super-simple formula. 100 for the first increase, 200 for the second, 300 for the third, etc. Not much to remember there! It ends up being just a little steeper than the mid-point between the original and Legacy edition ITL costs -- 3600 career XP to reach the 8th attribute point increase.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I've been considering a super-simple formula. 100 for the first increase, 200 for the second, 300 for the third, etc. Not much to remember there! It ends up being just a little steeper than the mid-point between the original and Legacy edition ITL costs -- 3600 career XP to reach the 8th attribute point increase.
I actually tried that earlier this year. I think that the attribute increase is a little fast for my preference since I was using a method of XP based upon what was suggested in ITL. To me, it would work better if the XP award was somewhat stingier than what is suggested in ITL.

I opted for the compromise that I stated above. I would like to keep characters from my game potentially open for other GM's to allow them into their games. So, you need to have some level of compatibility for that. Using a completely different XP to Attribute cost scale harms such compatibility.

The characters that I developed under this different scale were destined to be NPCs so, no harm done within my own game.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:16 AM   #6
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If per-session rewards remain at 60 XP then it's gonna take forever to add talents and attributes past the first few.
I think the kind of experience system needed depends too much on the campaign to have a single system. Instead we need several systems, and the players and GM choose one based on what kind of game they want.

My suggestion: a XP to gain an attribute, b XP to gain a talent/spell point (should we call this "skill"?) and after you reach c attributes the cost to gain your next attribute doubles every point. Then examples might be
  • The RAW ITL, purpose uncertain, is roughly a=125, b=1500, c=35.
  • An epic long campaign where characters rise slowly but with little limit might be a=250, b=100, c=50.
  • A short campaign with an epic ending might be a=100, b=50, c=50.
  • A gritty campaign where the characters progress slowly and have a low ceiling might be a=300, b=150, c=36.
There could be other implementations. There could also be limits on talents and spells. Or we could just have a bunch of tables rather than a formula.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
VIVIT

Heresy incoming! Use the progression from the Size and Speed/Range Table:
  1. 1.5
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 5
  5. 7
  6. 10
  7. 15
  8. 20
  9. 30
  10. 50
  11. 70
  12. 100
and so on, increasing by a factor of 10 every 6 points of attribute increase. Decide on some base cost that a beginning figure has to pay for their first attribute point increase, then shift this cost along the table by one step for each point after that. For example, if a 32-point figure has to pay 100 XP for their first increase:

33rd: 100 XP
34th: 150 XP
35th: 200 XP
36th: 300 XP
37th: 500 XP
38th: 700 XP
39th: 1,000 XP
40th: 1,500 XP
41st: 2,000 XP
42nd: 3,000 XP
43rd: 5,000 XP
44th: 7,000 XP
etc.
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:03 PM   #8
Shostak

Again, the simplest thing is to come up with an character advancement system that obviates the need for a table.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:08 PM   #9
TippetsTX

Anthony is correct, of course, but Experience Tables are so ubiquitous in RPGs at this point that it's hard to argue against their inclusion.

My issue goes beyond the progression scheme, however. I want to restore the ability for characters to hit 45, 50 or even higher TAP (if they can keep themselves alive long enough).
Old 12-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #10
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I want to restore the ability for characters to hit 45, 50 or even higher TAP (if they can keep themselves alive long enough).
If you radically changed XP/progression by making the cost of a new attribute the attributes new value, you would flatten the progression curve while still making it harder to raise higher attributes relative to lower ones. You'd probably want to limit XP per session to 2-4 points. Characters could progress to 40+ points much more quickly than by using RAW advancement.