Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
restlessgriffin

Default Gaming Ballistic's Hand of Asgard Sun god

Anyone with Gaming Ballistic's Hand of Asgard know if there is a sun god present in the book? I really like the treatment of holy powers and abilities. It is sort of based on viking flavored setting but is fairly generic so you can just use the appropriate god of whatever in whatever setting you want. However I am not finding a sun god, I want to use for one of the Delvers to Go character Miriam Suntemple. I think she should be a follower of a sun god.

I really like the clerics and holy warriors capabilities presented in Hand of Asgard as they have some distinct differences based on whichever deity you chose to follow. They also have some really interesting power ups -- advantages and skills.

I really wish they had a book that had similar treatment for Druids, Barbarians, and Scouts. Especially Druids!

Last edited by restlessgriffin; 10-22-2022 at 11:36 PM.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:59 AM   #2
Balor Patch

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic's Hand of Asgard Sun god

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
Anyone with Gaming Ballistic's Hand of Asgard know if there is a sun god present in the book? I really like the treatment of holy powers and abilities. It is sort of based on viking flavored setting but is fairly generic so you can just use the appropriate god of whatever in whatever setting you want. However I am not finding a sun god, I want to use for one of the Delvers to Go character Miriam Suntemple. I think she should be a follower of a sun god.

I really like the clerics and holy warriors capabilities presented in Hand of Asgard as they have some distinct differences based on whichever deity you chose to follow. They also have some really interesting power ups -- advantages and skills.

I really wish they had a book that had similar treatment for Druids, Barbarians, and Scouts. Especially Druids!
No, the Norse didn't really have a sun god. However, the sample character Kamilah (Hall of Judgement p.107) "comes to Noršlond from a land far to the south [...] Her god is strange, a hawk-headed sun deity that nobody’s ever heard of" so there's some precedent that way.

As for additional power ups et al there is Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians and DFD: Swashbucklers (with Thieves due soon-ish), as well as Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-ups obviously.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gamng Ballistic Hand of Asgard Sun god

The Norse did have Sol and Manni (sun and moon), but they seem to both be more personifications of events (the cycles of day and night) than doing much else.

Sol was described as incredibly fair (beautiful), and given the cyclic nature of her tasks, placing Sol as an aspect of the Lady of Life (Išuna) would make sense.

I would look at the spell lists for Lady of Life and Queen of the World, probably using the Lady of Life as a base. Start at the HIGHEST Power Investiture (Sanctuary), and ask "is this thematically appropriate to stay where it is, shoudl it be harder or easier, or replaced?"

So PI 6: Sanctuary. Not bad, but are there other PI5 or PI6 spells that might be more sun-themed? Spark Storm (PI5) might work well; the fact that daytime is considered safe and "good" means PI6: Sanctuary might be the best case.

Then go down to PI5, and do the same thing. The trick here is that if you ADD a spell, TAKE ONE AWAY. This can be done with a swap or a substitution.

But an example: Sunbolt. Seems really obvious that Sol should have Sunbolt. And be darned sure ALL of the light and darkness spells are on the list. That's the place to start - what spells should be there, and aren't? Substitute those.

Then consider Power Investiture level. Some might be easier, some harder, based on the influence. Light and darkness spells should be right there front and center for this sect, as well as a lot of air and movement, even weather.

Fire? Probably. Water and Earth? Maybe not so much. That sort of thing.

Those spell lists are time consuming to build, but the result provides a lot of flavor.

Finally, you'll probably want to create two to three Holy Might abilities, one of low power per level (1-5 points), another of moderate power (10-30 points), and then a "top tier" one of 40-60 points for the arch-priests and most-blessed holy warriors.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
ravenfish

Alternatively, Dungeon Fantasy 7 - Clerics (available online) has templates and spell lists for a number of "themed" clerics, including one for clerics dedicated to a sun-themed god. It's for mainline GURPS rather than the DFRPG, so it may include references to a few spells not included in the box set (likewise the recommended advantages for the clerics), but if you don't enjoy tinkering with clerical spell lists yourself and want a greater variety of premade ones, it could be worth a look. Plus, it has weapon stats for the anti-zombie shovel, the war-scalpels of the gods of healing, and the holy flamethrower.

Last edited by ravenfish; 10-23-2022 at 12:07 PM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:29 PM   #5
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Alternatively, Dungeon Fantasy 7 - Clerics (available online) has templates and spell lists for a number of "themed" clerics, including one for clerics dedicated to a sun-themed god. It's for mainline GURPS rather than the DFRPG, so it may include references to a few spells not included in the box set (likewise the recommended advantages for the clerics), but if you don't enjoy tinkering with clerical spell lists yourself and want a greater variety of premade ones, it could be worth a look. Plus, it has weapon stats for the anti-zombie shovel, the war-scalpels of the gods of healing, and the holy flamethrower.
The anti-zombie shovel already made it into DFRPG as the Combat Shovel on p.102 of Adventurers, but the scalpels and flamethrower are both worthy additions.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #6
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
The anti-zombie shovel already made it into DFRPG as the Combat Shovel on p.102 of Adventurers, but the scalpels and flamethrower are both worthy additions.
Aren't DF 7 scalpels simply mostly-worse versions of small knives? A fine small knife ($120) is sw-2 cut (range C,1) / thr-1 imp (range C). A fine scalpel ($325) is sw-2 cut (range C). Scalpels also have an additional -1 to parry. Why would you want the scalpel, aside from the minor weight savings?
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #7
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Why would you want the scalpel, aside from the minor weight savings?
Style. Better to die looking awesome then triumph looking boring.

EDIT: Anyway, it is a scalpel, usable for surgery (and stripping monster corpses of their valuable parts). Moreover, a Very Fine Scalpel can function as a High Holy Symbol (+2 to True Faith rolls, Exorcism, etc.- not to be sneezed at), compared to which it is only $25 dollars more expensive but is three quarters of a pound lighter and includes the aforementioned melee and surgical capacities.

Last edited by ravenfish; 10-26-2022 at 09:54 AM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
sjmdw45

Quote:

EDIT: Plus, it is a scalpel, usable for surgery (and stripping monster corpses of their valuable parts).

I googled "scalpel" and it still just looks like a very small knife. If scalpels look cool then surely small knives do too.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Most of my players in recent years choose style over substance—spending money lavishly in town, keeping a suboptimal weapon for sentimental reasons even when they find an uber-cool magical replacement, using a blunt weapon when cutting would be more effective, etc. I don't overtly punish them for it, but they are certainly sub-optimal when it comes to damage per second!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
restlessgriffin

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic's Hand of Asgard Sun god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
No, the Norse didn't really have a sun god. However, the sample character Kamilah (Hall of Judgement p.107) "comes to Noršlond from a land far to the south [...] Her god is strange, a hawk-headed sun deity that nobody’s ever heard of" so there's some precedent that way.
Thanks. I bought all the Gaming Ballistic (GB) books a few months ago so I have that book, 2nd ed I think. I don't have the newest stuff like the book on Shields. I really like the GB books so I'll probably pick that one up in a couple of months.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote