Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
n0a4

Default Star Munchkin: Clown Wars - Garage Door Opener Question

I have a question on using this card...

The way the card works is you discard 3 cards, or that card, to close a JUST OPENED door card. Or discard any JUST REVEALED MONSTER OR ROOM cards.

Now if someone plays a monster card on another person in combat with wandering monster or whatever card lets you do that... the garage door opener should be able to discard the JUST REVEALED MONSTER right? same with any rooms played by people.

If someone is fighting a monster and another player adds a +5 to monster, which is a door card, the garage door opener shouldn't be able to "close" this card since it was played by a player and not opened from the deck... it doesn't say anywhere on the card about discarding just revealed doors, only closing just OPENED doors.

The argument is that if the garage door opener can close just revealed monster/room cards played by people, it should be able to "close" any door card that has been just revealed by other players.
n0a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
uttwich

Default Re: Star Munchkin: Clown Wars - Garage Door Opener Question

Don't have Star Munchkin, but it sounds like you would have to play your card before anybody does anything else? Assuming that would be the case since once someone plays a modifier, wandering monster, etc., the door would no longer be "just opened".
uttwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0a4 View Post
I have a question on using this card...

The way the card works is you discard 3 cards, or that card, to close a JUST OPENED door card. Or discard any JUST REVEALED MONSTER OR ROOM cards.

Now if someone plays a monster card on another person in combat with wandering monster or whatever card lets you do that... the garage door opener should be able to discard the JUST REVEALED MONSTER right? same with any rooms played by people.

If someone is fighting a monster and another player adds a +5 to monster, which is a door card, the garage door opener shouldn't be able to "close" this card since it was played by a player and not opened from the deck... it doesn't say anywhere on the card about discarding just revealed doors, only closing just OPENED doors.

The argument is that if the garage door opener can close just revealed monster/room cards played by people, it should be able to "close" any door card that has been just revealed by other players.
Ok I don't have this deck but I want to clarify something in your post. How is a wandering monster played by another player different to the +5 to monster? Both have been played by players and not opened from the deck haven't they or am I missing something by not owning this game?

If it only works on cards from the deck then it would not work on wandering monster. I also tend to think it would not work on a wandering monster because that is two cards (the wandering monster card plus the actual monster). Anyway wait for an official reply.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
n0a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
Ok I don't have this deck but I want to clarify something in your post. How is a wandering monster played by another player different to the +5 to monster? Both have been played by players and not opened from the deck haven't they or am I missing something by not owning this game?

If it only works on cards from the deck then it would not work on wandering monster. I also tend to think it would not work on a wandering monster because that is two cards (the wandering monster card plus the actual monster). Anyway wait for an official reply.
well, the card says "discard a just OPENED door" and also says "discard a just REVEALED monster", we just assumed that since adding a wandering monster on someone would count as "just REVEALED monster"... you can use the card. A player playing a +5 to monster door card isn't revealing a monster or opening a door.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

The intent of GDO is to only affect a Monster or Room found by opening a door, not by some other playing a card. I believe the word "reveal" was used to be different (i.e., not repetitive) and ended up causing some level of confusion.

However (I hate doing this), I feel SJ and I discussed this card a long time back about how it might affect a Monster someone is fighting by looking for trouble. I'll have to dig around here and my e-mail to see if I can find how that discussion was resolved. If Andrew has any insight, that would help, too.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
n0a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The intent of GDO is to only affect a Monster or Room found by opening a door, not by some other playing a card. I believe the word "reveal" was used to be different (i.e., not repetitive) and ended up causing some level of confusion.

However (I hate doing this), I feel SJ and I discussed this card a long time back about how it might affect a Monster someone is fighting by looking for trouble. I'll have to dig around here and my e-mail to see if I can find how that discussion was resolved. If Andrew has any insight, that would help, too.
It didn't make sense though for the card to continue mentioning discarding just revealed monster/room cards, wouldn't it just stop at the first line "use this card to close a just opened door card"?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

Which is why I need to look through my e-mail and search through earlier posts here. I want to check if wording changes have happened and the like. Unfortunately, this is not a process that can be sped up and I'm working at the moment, so it's not going to happen as quickly as either of us would like. :-(
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
n0a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Which is why I need to look through my e-mail and search through earlier posts here. I want to check if wording changes have happened and the like. Unfortunately, this is not a process that can be sped up and I'm working at the moment, so it's not going to happen as quickly as either of us would like. :-(
No rush, just trying to clear up any confusions to how we've been using this card. Didn't intend to make this thread sound like it needs to be solved immediately
Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

We would like to ask people not to bump threads. Both Erik and I have a list of posts that require a response (I have it on my Bookmark toolbar, in fact), and while we don't always get to them as quickly as we would like, it's not because we're ignoring you; it's because some questions require more consideration than we may have time to give them.

If you feel that a question has been ignored long enough, please use the Private Message feature or the Report Post feature to call our attention to it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage door opener, gdo