Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2022, 08:43 PM   #61
thalcos

Default Re: Blog - One Shot Adventures - New Posts

Wow! Those are probably the best notes I’ve ever seen on a session. And in perfect handwriting. With illustrations. I’m truly impressed!
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #62
thalcos

This month on my free adventures blog, there's a brand new Viking adventure - The Final Voyage of Draegr Thar!

Bjørgvin’s greatest raider, Draegr Thar, is stranded in a cold inlet far to the north, his longboat splintered and his best men wounded. A group of Vikings sets out to bring him home, but once they reach this lonely place, they discover that they’ve walked into the haunted land of an old king that defied the gods.

This adventure was inspired by the 1987 AD&D adventure, "The Tombs of Deckon Thar," from the undead-focused Lords of Darkness supplement. The original adventure was just a sketch and didn't have a lot of meat on its bones, so my version reboots and refactors it into something totally different (including its Norse setting).

As always, the free adventure includes pregenerated characters, handouts, and VTT tokens and assets to make it easy for GURPS GMs to grab their friends and play. Enjoy!

There are now almost 30 free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures (!), many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres that might make for fun one-shots, like pulp, action, historical horror, and more. There's even some solo adventures!

Since there's officially too many adventures to list, check out the complete list of adventures.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #63
Willy

That´s good news another free high quality adventure ready to use and with hints why you made which design decision. I already downloaded it - as always.

Now I´m off, I have some reading to do!
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #64
thalcos

This month on my free adventures blog, there's a brand new cosmic horror adventure - A Flaw in the Lens!

In 1974, a renowned ornithologist invites his family to a remote Mexican island to celebrate a new discovery. However, soon after arriving on the island, the family members discovers that their beloved uncle has become a pawn for indescribable, cosmic forces.

If your players like weird monsters, a remote setting, and cosmic horror, they'll probably like this one. It's centered on an obscure Lovecraftian monster, the adumbral - tentacled shadow monsters that can only traverse two-dimensionally... and leave their victims tattooed with sigils and staring dead-eyed into another plane of existence.

As always, the free adventure includes pregenerated characters, handouts, and VTT tokens and assets to make it easy for GURPS GMs to grab their friends and play. Enjoy!

There are now almost 30 (~) free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures, many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres that might make for fun one-shots, like pulp, action, spies, historical horror, and more. There's even some solo adventures!

Since there's officially too many adventures to list, check out the complete list of adventures.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #65
thalcos

This month on my free adventures blog, there's a brand new GURPS Supers adventure - A Bombshell of Tomorrow!

A full-scale, temporal invasion interrupts a quiet day at the park, and soon a maniacal Nazi scientist and his chronal duplicates seeking to trigger World War III! Too afraid that temporal accidents will fling modern weaponry back to the past, the government calls in an expendable supers team to stop the villain and clean up this mess before his crazed vision of doomsday is triggered.

While nominally set in the DC universe, this adventure is super easy to port to any modern day setting. It's designed for mid-level superheroes, somewhere between street level and 4-color supers, but can also be scaled up or down to suit your particular game.

As always, the free adventure includes pregenerated characters, handouts, and VTT tokens and assets -- and even a professionally voiced audio intro -- to make it easy for GURPS GMs to grab their friends and play. Enjoy!

There are now almost 30 free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures, many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres that might make for fun one-shots, like pulp, action, spies, historical horror, and more. There's even some solo adventures!

Old 12-22-2022, 05:46 PM   #66
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalcos View Post
This month on my free adventures blog, there's a brand new GURPS Supers adventure - A Bombshell of Tomorrow!
Yay! I really like your adventures. Thank you so much for sharing them.
I'm planning on using Flaw in the Lens in my Psi Powers campaign (I'll have to alter it a slight bit to fit the PCs & their power level).

PS: I really love your pulp adventures.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #67
Dalin

Quote:
Fantastic! Supers are far outside my comfort zone, but your adventures have been consistently excellent, so this may be the first one I try to run. Even better, maybe I can convince one of my players to take the GM's chair. I hear Zebra-Man calling out my name.

You are doing a great service to the GURPS community. Thank you!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:40 PM   #68
thalcos

This month on my adventures blog, there's a brand new GURPS Cyberpunk adventure - Amethyst Reign

When revenge-happy gang leader Fickle Reefurb found out his main girl was "stolen" by celebrity musician Amethyst, he hires dozens of street toughs, wannabe gangsters, and legit assassins to kill the star before the release of his big new album. Complicating the PCs' mission are violent competitors, betrayals, and corporate minions who have their own ulterior motives. The adventure takes the PCs from dirty night clubs to corporate penthouses as they try to track down Amethyst and put a bullet in his skull before his hotly-anticipated album influences a new generation.

There are now almost 30 free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures, many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres that might make for fun one-shots, like pulp, action, spies, historical horror, and more. There's even some solo adventures! Since there's too many fun adventures to list, check out the complete list of adventures.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:15 PM   #69
Dammann

I’ve been thinking about running a game of GURPS at Gencon one of these years. I don’t know where SJG stands on that, but do you have any feelings on my running one of your adventures if I did? I remember a REALLY intense horror game on a snowy night at a gas station, and a game with Eqyptian mythology that I haven’t played or run yet.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #70
mburr0003

Quote:
This month on my adventures blog, there's a brand new GURPS Cyberpunk adventure - Amethyst Reign
I'd like to take a stab at something you said in the middle of the post:

Quote:
I’m of firm belief that no RPG has successfully pulled off good hacking rules. They either exist in different game mechanics, which double the amount of rules groups have to learn, and do a good job of giving one player 30 minutes to shine while the rest of the other players sit around and watch. And hacking scenes are hard to describe in a fun way, even for someone like me who literally works in tech. Accommodating hackers is hard, and yet they are absolutely vital to the genre.
One: You're missing the second part of the "either" statement (this is a nitpick, I suspect it change from being 'either/or' to an 'and' mid-typing).

B - I disagree that it's a "system" problem, or it is, but's its more fundamental than that. It's a "stakes" problem.

How many combats were lost because one Character who was involved, wasn't competent at combat?

How many social encounters have been 'lost' because that one unsocial Character was there?

How often has a "repair" montage been completely screwed by the one Character with zero repair capacity?

Now, apply those questions to netrunning/hacking.

In a successful hacking sequence often one serious mistake ruins the run†, so the pressure to not involve other Characters is very high.

Personally I think GURPS (and other Skill First systems) do netrunning/hacking just fine, as long as you run it more like a 'heist' than a 'netrun', if that makes sense. So you have your Social Enginerds out social hacking, the brutes out being muscle, and the hackers doing the hack. But you make sure either everyone has something useful to contribute, or they're fine sitting out.

† Maybe a way to fix this is to instead shift the stakes such that a bungle by the "less competent" Characters can't ruin it, just make it more difficult, or shift away from a few skill failures creating a complete fail state.

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen and read far too many 'netrunning/hacking' missions where either the hack goes flawlessly or the whole mission is a bust. But yet, combat is never run this way.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures, blog, blogs