Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
arcanus

Default Re: Fantasy Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
There have been a number of collaborative setting riffs for fantasy on the forums that you could look at:
This is excellent, thanks
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
We have a Post apocalypse Fantasy setting called Shattered Empire. It's a world that formerly had a powerful empire with advanced magic that was strangling 4 different kingdoms until something went wrong and their magic imploded. Now there's a magical wasteland in the middle of the map and all of the monsters that the Empire was building are roaming free.
I like this, could be a good Dungeon Fantasy backstory as well, abandoned complexes and settlements full of escaped monsters.

I've got two to contribute both mini campaigns or backdrops:

Aydraren - Traditional fantasy goblin horde attempting to take a pivotal mountain range controlled by fractious dwarfed clans, as well as the strategic aim the works were after some ancient earth/plant elements slumbering beneath the mountains.

Telesial - A portal realm advenrure, elitist even factions enslaving humans who discover gate magic to pursue one of their own (player character) and end up warring with the plant inhabitants of the new realm.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
The last fantasy game I ran was Little Green Men.
Well, it's an interesting setting, certainly. A bit silly, but that's obviously intentional, and it's well thought-out.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
… What fantasy or Dungeon Fantasy worlds have you created?
1) My Dungeon Fantasy/Special Ops setting is called "Bones of the Dragon Empire"
Background
At the start of the third age, approximately 1700 years ago, there were several hundred separate human kingdoms and free cities known that spanned the three continents in the known world. One of those kingdoms, Draconius, started a campaign of conquest to make an Empire. Two hundred years later, the Draconius Empire had a hundred providences that spanned the former kingdoms of the known world at the time. Over the next thousands or so years, the Empire grew and prospered.

Then three hundred years ago, a great civil war started within the Empire. The war was waged for almost 100 years, wrecking the Empire; and leaving 100 separate provinces fighting among themselves. Almost 200 years later, the situation is almost the same, except there are only 34 human kingdoms and a handful of city states left. Most of the others have been sacked and left in ruin. The ruins, and wilderness areas between, are overrun with goblin-kin and other monsters.

Now is a prime time for professional soldiers. Most of the Kingdoms and city states employ mercenary companies in their ongoing conflicts. Well trained and equipped mercenaries can command a large fee. This is the time the adventure starts.

2) My Basic Dungeon Fantasy game setting I call "Dungeons of the Shadow Rifts"
Introduction:
The adventure starts in the town of Fort Cook in the Ordos river valley, which is approximately 140 miles up river from the city of Hexion, the capital city of the Kingdom of Kentral. Fort Cook is approximately 10 miles down river from the ruined fortress of Ghuan Tyrr, which guards or guarded the Valley of Mists and Lake Filimar. Beyond Lake Filimar is the fabled Gods Wall. Fort Cook was established twenty years ago, at the farthest navigatable point on the Ordos River, when the army of Kentral were trying to expand into the borderlands by pushing the goblin-kin from the area. Fort Cook was purely a borderlands military outpost for the first ten years. But for the last ten years, after the threat from goblin-kin raiders has diminished, it has become an agricultural and trade center. Many crops are grown in the nearby fields and lumber products are pulled from the surrounding forests. Roads lead from Fort Cook to the Green Valley and Iron Lands, and Fort Cook has shipping up and down the Ordos River.

While it was a military outpost, Fort Cook was also a major adventurer’s rest point. The adventurers delved into the dungeons of the infamous Shadow Rifts. The Shadow Rifts are a series of vast connected underground complexes, i.e., Dungeons, with entrances in the area around Foot Cook that were built by some ancient empire. The entrances to the dungeons of the Shadow Rifts apparently closed ten years ago. With no place to explore underground, parties of adventures trail blazed the roads to the Green Valley and to the Iron Lands.

The party members, for various reasons (job as a merchant’s guard, to consult a local wizard, to deliver a message to the local church, to escape the law, etc.), have all recently arrived in Fort Cook. The party members have all met over beers in the Tipsy Troll Tavern and become friends. Yesterday, a merchant‘s guard killed a goblin raider not far from town who had old style weapons and coins. The thought of some, based on the old style weapons and coins, is that an entrance to the Shadow Rifts has been reopened. So your party has decided to form an adventuring company, and go seek out an entrance to the Shadow Rifts. The plan is to finalize the company charter, search out any rumors in town, decide on a plan, procure any last minute gear that folks have money for, and then head out tomorrow for the Shadow Rifts. Adventure and opportunity await!

3) I’ve had a low-powered Dungeon Fantasy Viking setting for a few years (since 2015), adapted from John Arendt’s Black City Project from his Blog: dreamsinthelichhouse.blogspot.com . I call it “Expeditions to the Black City”:
Teaser:
A Viking fantasy adventure where there is Frodleikr (magic), Alfr (Elves), Dvegr (Dwarfs), and Hvedrungr (monsters) in the world. The setting is a ruined, alien city made of strange black stone covered with eldritch runes that lies in a glazier cut fjord on the frozen shores of the island of Thule, in the realms of the midnight summer sun.
Your group has been lured to the Black City by tales of fabulous treasures of magic, gems, gold, and more. You have joined the crew of a Knarr (Viking sailing ship optimized for cargo and trade), the Arendt’s Fury, on its sponsored treasure expedition to the Black City. Will the Skalds sing of your triumphed return with riches? Will the worms eat at your cold frozen corpses? Or will you lose your minds, souls, and bodies, and unleash elder horrors on the world? Only time will tell …

 - Staring Player Characters for Expedition to the Black City are built on 150 points, plus up to -50 points in disadvantages and up to -5 points in Quirks. Professional templates from Dungeon Fantasy 15 Henchmen are used, with some of the Races from Dungeon Fantasy 2 The Next Level allowed.

4) A grim survival Dungeon Fantasy setting I’ve worked on, adapted from Gus over at Dungeons of Signs blog, I’ve call “Exiles to the Underdark”.
Details are in the post -
Help with a Grim Survival DF Setting

Last edited by DAT; 03-30-2019 at 08:27 PM.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
2) My Basic Dungeon Fantasy game setting I call "Dungeons of the Shadow Rifts"
Introduction:Beyond Lake Filimar is the fabled Gods Wall.
Is the Gods Wall a figurative name or an actual divine construction?

Quote:
The Shadow Rifts are a series of vast connected underground complexes, i.e., Dungeons, with entrances in the area around Foot Cook that were built by some ancient empire. The entrances to the dungeons of the Shadow Rifts apparently closed ten years ago. With no place to explore underground, parties of adventures trail blazed the roads to the Green Valley and to the Iron Lands.
I like the background and the dungeons being sealed, do the civilised surface cities experience breakouts or Shadow Rift incursions?

Quote:
3) “Expeditions to the Black City”:
A Viking fantasy adventure where there is Frodleikr (magic), Alfr (Elves), Dvegr (Dwarfs), and Hvedrungr (monsters) in the world. The setting is a ruined, alien city made of strange black stone covered with eldritch runes that lies in a glazier cut fjord on the frozen shores of the island of Thule, in the realms of the midnight summer sun.
Stealing this for my arcane Norse storyline!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #16
DAT

Quote:
Is the Gods Wall a figurative name or an actual divine construction?
Gods Wall is a cliff face that stretches straight up 2+ miles into a perpetual cloud bank. The geologic formation is what we would call a shield volcano, with a 300+ mile radius. A spoiler for the setting is it is a divine construct, a prison.

Quote:
I like the background and the dungeons being sealed, do the civilised surface cities experience breakouts or Shadow Rift incursions?
At the start of the campaign, the breakouts are only near Fort Cook. If the PCs fail to stop a certain Big Bad, the breakouts will expand.

Quote:
Stealing this for my arcane Norse storyline!
I've been thinking about how to mesh it up with Doug's products. I've used it at 8+ Cons now, besides my normal group, and it has always been a blast. No two groups have gone the same route. I definitely suggest reading John's blog.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #17
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Gods Wall is a cliff face that stretches straight up 2+ miles into a perpetual cloud bank. The geologic formation is what we would call a shield volcano, with a 300+ mile radius. .
No it isn't. Shield volcanoes don't have cliff faces. Their slopes are quite gradual. What you describe is a plateau although in reality they can't get quite that tall under earthlike gravity.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #18
Phantasm

My .sig has a link for my fantasy setting. No dungeons, TL4 Age of Exploration/early Age of Sail, with plenty of room for players to toss me ideas to expand the setting. It's not as epic in scope as some of the other settings in this list, though some folks may find that a selling point (I hope).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #19
SilvercatMoonpaw

I've always wanted to create a fantasy setting that's advanced to modern times so I can have modern action using fantasy creatures and magic.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #20
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No it isn't. Shield volcanoes don't have cliff faces. Their slopes are quite gradual. What you describe is a plateau although in reality they can't get quite that tall under earthlike gravity.
Olympus Mons is a shield volcano with a steep escarpment, but that was produced when the volcano got so large its expansion was more snowplow than accumulation.

Tags
fantasy