Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
PaladinV

Default A Question of Strength.

I'm afraid this is probably been gone over exhaustively but I'll ask and as soon as I understand I'll let the thread die.

I'm thinking about how to use the four basic attributes to model/stat normal people, like an athlete vs a mathlete and I'm looking at basic lift which states that it's the amount of weight you can lift with one hand in one second.

So I'm thinking dumbbell clean and press. So I personally can clean and press a 65lb dumbbell. The thing is I'm not that strong.

So I'm thinking, maybe setting up the way you do for a lift, walking to the dumbbell, setting your feet, gripping the dumbbell ect constitutes doubling the time. If that's the case I wouldn't need an 18 strength to clean and press 65lb, I could do it with a 12.

So I found a skill, Lifting. So, a person with a good bit of experience performing the dumbbell clean and jerk might do the 65lb lift with how much strength? Is that really what lifting means?

Also, has anyone worked out a comparison between the vertical jump test and ST or DX, like, how would you compare someone's stats in the NFL combine to GURPS skills and stats?

Is this idea even of interest to other people or am I just being a dweeb?
PaladinV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifting, strength