Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
43Supporter

Default Re: Porting the Killer Kart to 6e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
The actual orginal design was so poor from 1984 onwards , that we had to ban them from our games post 1986 .
It wasn't supposed to be a good design -- it was designed to be, as our British contingent might say, "cheap as chips" for arenas to operate. (Don't let the Amateurs think about how many previous duellists have been removed from a KK with a pressure-washer.) It also makes a decent racing design.

Now, if one wants truly awful designs, there's the _Iguana_ (slow; overgunned; underarmored), the _Sizzler_ (slow; clumsy; undergunned; underarmored), or the _Thresher_ (slow; clumsy; underarmored).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #12
HeatDeath

And yet, it's not the cheapest armed subcompact that can possibly exist. It spends several hundred dollars on a handling class upgrade and increased tire durability that it really could live without if "cheap uber alles" was its underlying design philosophy.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
And yet, it's not the cheapest armed subcompact that can possibly exist. It spends several hundred dollars on a handling class upgrade and increased tire durability that it really could live without if "cheap uber alles" was its underlying design philosophy.
It's ONE of the design philosophies, not THE design philosophy.

In the game universe, the company that makes them has a deal with arena management to provide them at a discounted cost.

Additionally, they were used years ago in one of the most wide spread videos of early Amateur Night events and they now hold a special place in the heart of autoduel enthusiasts.

[See my link above regarding rabid Bugg owners]
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #14
Overload

With the tripling of scale between 4 ed and 5&6 ed, I've found that it's harder to keep a specific side towards an opponent, as the arena is smaller. I mention that as it changes car design, or at least removes the fighter-style (mainly front and rear weapons) designs. It should make the KK even worse in 5&6 ed.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #15
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overload View Post
With the tripling of scale between 4 ed and 5&6 ed, I've found that it's harder to keep a specific side towards an opponent, as the arena is smaller. I mention that as it changes car design, or at least removes the fighter-style (mainly front and rear weapons) designs. It should make the KK even worse in 5&6 ed.
One of the reasons I've been converting 5E and 6E back to 1/176.... :)

79er

Old 12-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #16
NexusGameTheory

Quote:
Interesting, that hasn't been my experience. I have been playing a lot of builds that have most of the weapons on the front and have not had much trouble at all keeping my front towards my opponents. I think my broad driving strategy of making one "nuts" turn somewhere during my and otherwise mostly straight/slight has allowed some pretty aggressive turns at high speeds.

I could imagine that might end up being tough on some arenas with some builds.
NexusGameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #17
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Front-loading your craziest turns into the first movement point really helps with front-arc aiming, too. As soon as you build for more control, it gets easier still. As you get more experience with the game, you'll also develop an intuitive sense for car movement and what is reasonable or risky for any given situation.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:32 PM   #18
Overload

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusGameTheory View Post
Interesting, that hasn't been my experience. I have been playing a lot of builds that have most of the weapons on the front and have not had much trouble at all keeping my front towards my opponents. I think my broad driving strategy of making one "nuts" turn somewhere during my and otherwise mostly straight/slight has allowed some pretty aggressive turns at high speeds.

I could imagine that might end up being tough on some arenas with some builds.
Are you playing in a 36"x36" arena? How many cars?
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #19
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
Front-loading your craziest turns into the first movement point really helps with front-arc aiming, too. As soon as you build for more control, it gets easier still. As you get more experience with the game, you'll also develop an intuitive sense for car movement and what is reasonable or risky for any given situation.
This was part of the basis for my "ferret on heroin" build at FC1. :)

79er

Old 12-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #20
NexusGameTheory

Quote:
Are you playing in a 36"x36" arena? How many cars?
One 2 player game, 6 x 5 player games.

All sizes for the 5 player games, from two neoprene mats together (largest) all that way down to 8 tiles (smallest).

Note, there are rare turns, specifically on "racing" maps, where I didn't get my front arc pointed at another player because I wanted to stay on the track to try to win the racing condition.
NexusGameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote