Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-15-2021, 10:43 PM   #31
owenmp

Default Re: Car Wars Storage Tips

For transportation and storage of Car Wars 6E Playmats, I recommend plastic art, architect, and engineering drawing tubes. These sturdy containers with carrying straps are sold at art supply, architect supply, and engineering supply stores. The tubes are used to protect art, blueprints, and engineering drawings.

For over 20 years, I have used a plastic art tube to transport and store my.out of print Chessex MegaMat with a 1" square grid subdivided into 1/4" squares, the exact type of grid needed for Car Wars 4E in 1X Car Wars scale.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:31 AM   #32
JimTullis

Owen, whats the average price on those?
The last time I priced one, PVC was way cheaper. But PVC gas gone way up.

PVC still has better crush resistance and if done correctly is 100% water/beer proof.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:17 AM   #33
beetle496

Default Game 3: Shuffle and Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
I still don't think random draws are a good way to teach the game because you could inadvertently force a player to use a build they enjoy less than their first game. Since they had no real input in the equipment, they'll just feel shafted by the card draw, rather than understanding the strategy that goes into car building ("You just drew better cards than me.").
The nice thing about PRS games 1 and 2 is without being familiar with game mechanics, players can at least pick cars from the illustration or miniatures.

I agree with you that game 3 could be AP with even just the Core deck.

The point of the random draws is to have a chance to separate the step teaching about weapon placement from picking weapons.

I acknowledge that draws means players have no input to the equipment, but game 3 is also pretty early for a player to be favoring Shred over Slug, etc.

Note that the draw protocol I outlined favors pairs of weapons, and balances BP. The “drew better cards than me” complaint is no more valid than with the PRS.

And if a precocious player expresses preferences, or regrets from their draw, that could be accommodated.

With game 4, the teaching can focus on picking cards from scratch.
Quote:
If they build their OWN car, the game provides immediate feedback about their build decisions AND they'll become quickly obsessed with making improvements.
I don’t feel like the feedback is “immediate” — since the duel would take a bit to unfold — but yes obsession with making improvements is the hook!
Quote:
You can give them the option of restarting to let them test and revise their emerging build ideas.
I am all for that too.
Quote:
This is how to create a player that thinks about the game even when you AREN'T playing...which makes them eager to play over and over again.
This is what I hope happens with a few people.
Quote:
Once all players have a good grasp of the strategy that goes into car building, THEN a random draw game can be absolutely awesome.
I could see this being an interesting variant every once in a while.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-16-2021 at 04:22 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #34
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Quote:
I acknowledge that draws means players have no input to the equipment, but game 3 is also pretty early for a player to be favoring Shred over Slug, etc.
I wouldn't separate weapon picking from weapon placement, because your personal use of the firing arcs on your car often informs your weapon choices. But that's me.

And you don't need to me to understand your teaching method in order for you to have fun with the game. Avoid suppressing the "OOH THIS LOOKS COOL!" factor for your group, and anything you do should work out fine.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #35
HeatDeath

A big corollary of "you can't win during the build phase" is that you can't lose during the build phase either.

You don't have to worry overly about making your car /good/ - the design team did that for you by actually balancing the weapons and equipment. Every possible car will be at least decent. While there are some tricks and synergies, you could deal a random car and it would be at least decent.

Your job, as a player, is to make your car - whatever it is - /work/.

The game is on the table, not in the build spreadsheet.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #36
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
I wouldn't separate weapon picking from weapon placement, because your personal use of the firing arcs on your car often informs your weapon choices. But that's me.
I am with you on this from game 4 on. I just want a plan, if I feel like I should need it, for game 3 not to be so intimidating.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #37
owenmp

JimTullis,

A relative bought me the black plastic art transport tube with adjustable strap that is connected to the two removable plastic caps that fit on both ends of the tube.

Art Bin
Flambeau Products Corporation
Middlefield, OH 45062

The Art Bin was purchased over 20 years ago from University Book Store in Seattle, WA for the price of $14.95.

PVC is a great idea, especially if you have the ability to cut it, and fit screw-on / screw-off closures on each end.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #38
JimTullis

Owen,
I can do a lot with PVC.
But this time, all I did was have the guy at Lowes cut a 10ft piece of lighter weight 4 inch PVC drain pipe into two 4 foot sections and i bought two flat end caps. I glued one on and the other one just slips on. I paid about $20. If I want a 2nd tube I just need to spend about $6 to cap the other section. I added a Velcro Cable Strap with a handle.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #39
beetle496

I should look at PVC options. I bought a plastic mailing tube, but it is only just okay. It is expandable, but not to 48" (so the DD mat would stick out), and I had to duct-tape the middle because it kept opening there rather than the end cap.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #40
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Baseball bat collector tubes have been my go-to for a while now. The Ultra-Pro ones are awesome.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote