Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
Racer

Default 6th Edition Dropped Foam ideas for Classic Use ?

In a surprise twist it seems Foam is incredibly popular in 6th Edition builds , despite from reading comments that it is the 'weakest' Drop/Gas/Gloop Weapon .

I do not know how Foam Rules in 6th , but intrigued by possibilities of Classic Car Wars conversion or minor Rule changes .

Can you 'hide behind' a 1" inch by 1" inch Foam splodge ? Can you park a vehicle inside said counter to gain bonuses to put Fire/Fire Mods out ? Or against incoming Flamethrower/Incendiary weapons fire ?

Would also like updates to rules regardless as they seem light on situational use . And how Foam reacts with other Dropped/Gas Items ? Could Foam & Paint be mixed for a double wammy effect ?

Would also like to see a dedicated Foam Dropper - similar to a Paint Spray or Oil Jet in stats - as this is long , long overdue (since around 2051 Uncle Albert update at least ) .

The 5" × ½" firing Gloop Guns from NOVA/Internet pages would also be great to be officially stated ! :-D
Old 10-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: 6th Edition Dropped Foam ideas for Classic Use ?

Foam in CCW is just for putting out fires -- it doesn't really do anything else.

One of the "improvements" in my files is: Allowing BE weapons to have all sorts of different ammo types (on the same principle as Grenades - it's a hollow shell; one can fill it with explosives, or foam, or a smoke generator, or WP, or whatever). I could see similar for Dropped Weapons -- a Foam-loaded "FCGS" could be used in convoys to put out fires on other cars from a distance, for ex. (this is where your Extra Mags, and Mag Switch, come in handy :) ).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
Racer

Can you post a basic outline of Rules of what Foam does in 6th please ?

I can't afford to purchase any of the Sets for foreseeable future & only UK players I know are 70 or more miles away . Unfortunately after illnesses , medical appointments & Covid situations , I am tied to my home/house bound .

And trying to ask Mister Welch to explain any rules from his shiny new Double Ace box is a long , rambling recipe for disaster ...

And I'll just be more confused afterwards ... (he seems mentally incapable of giving a straight answer - and he's gotten worse over last 35 years ...)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
juris

Duuuuude. I'm pretty sure that word doesn't appear in the weapon description...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

Can you 'hide behind' a 1" inch by 1" inch Foam splodge ?
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Daimyo_Shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
LOL! And I am 12 again!
Old 10-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Please excuse my Britishness ;-)

It's not a Cloud , it's not a Slick , and so I struggled with a word to describe the in game counter ...

We used 'splodge' in cookery at school : "a splodge of cakemix in each fairy cake case , or it'll bubble over & burn" .

(Fairy Cakes=Cup Cakes . 37 years later I still remember the instructions almost word for word ... I make my tray of cakes with blue food colouring , so now one would try to steal them off me ! IT WORKED ! AND they tasted great - two teachers were just brave enough to give mine a try at Staff Tea . )

I see no ones mentioned name of NOVA's Gloop Gun device ? Fires a 5" by ½" Inch stream of Oil , Ice , Foam , Stickyfoam etc . Not sure if NOVA guys invented it , but it's mentioned on their Articles pages . Possibly Night Messenger Bulletins ? Unless I have my online resources mixed up ...

I won't dare mention the penciled in caption for Foam Rockets , that some wag left on page 31 of my UACFH ...

His caption for Beehive Rounds on page 28 is simply "BLESS YOU ! " Lol

I suppose Foam Slick or Foam Mound could work , but don't sound as catchy ...

Last edited by Racer; 10-18-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #7
HeatDeath

In 6e, a foam launcher deploys a car-sized blob of foam, just the same way smoke/gas/oil generators deploy car-sized clouds or slicks, out the side or back depending on where the generator is mounted.

The blob of foam blocks line of sight, and if a car hits it it the car is unaffected in any way and the foam blob just gets pushed harmlessly around.

If a car pushes the blob into anything else - pedestrian, a wall, another car, a traffic cone, etc - the foam blob pops and disappears.

A fully loaded foam launcher can deploy four blobs of foam, and the design intent seems to be that a car can only mount one foam launcher.

They cost/take up approximately half the space/weight/$$$ of a standard machine gun or flamethrower.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 10-20-2021 at 04:07 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:45 AM   #8
Racer

Thank You so very much HeatDeath ! 8-D

Oh this opens up so many ... possibilities ...
*rubs hands together evilly in good impression of a supervillain*
Old 10-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #9
swordtart

So it is a sort of solid foam (like expanding foam for insulation - or riot foam in Judge Dredd).

Nothing like that in the early game, the assumption was it was like shaving foam in consistency.

I can see this being used in dreg communities as building material :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #10
Racer

Probably too brittle & dissolvable by time/weather elements to used as a lasting material ?

Thinking somewhere between a large blob of silly string & that futuristic vehicular frangible instant impact foam in Demolition Man film , in consistency ?

That could actually be an incredibly useful item for military or police use in real life .

Last edited by Racer; 10-19-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote