Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Magic] Magery et al with Temporary Disadvantages

Literally random. Every non-mage on Earth had an equal chance of being selected, which was actually central to the plot of the first book. When the victim eventually dies, the Magister experiences a few days without magic while they are unconsciously aligning with another random victim.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #12
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Literally random. Every non-mage on Earth had an equal chance of being selected, which was actually central to the plot of the first book. When the victim eventually dies, the Magister experiences a few days without magic while they are unconsciously aligning with another random victim.
I think this forum could use a *thumbs-up button, so that I don't have to use an entire post's worth of space to say thanks.

Anyway, thanks.

* Not a thumbs-down button, though. In my experience, too often those are used to vote down unpopular opinions, instead of wrong facts.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

No problem, glad I could help.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
For example, you have Magery 0 and Magery 1 without limitations, but you also have Magery 3 (Fire College Only, -40%; Temporary Disadvantage: Pyromania (6), -10%);
I think you need to buy Switchable to use Temporary Disadvantages, fire-only magery may not apply to all spells, but it is always-on in respect to fire spells and being detected as a mage.

Other options beside switchable enhancement are things that turn it switchable like Costs Fatigue and I think a couple others but I'm not sure.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #15
Gumby Bush

You are correct. Otherwise it acts as a shutdown switch.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #16
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
You are correct. Otherwise it acts as a shutdown switch.
speaking of shutdowns switches, I think you can effectievly get "Controllable Limitations" (similar to Controllable Disadvantages) by combining Limited Enhancements with Selectivity.

A mage who tied a something like F129 "Impermanent Magery" (aka T24 "Fading Spell Effects") limitation to a cheap enhancement like Switchable (reducing it to +8%) or Usually On (reducing to +4%) could flip to a mode where spell effects might be dispelled without needing to pay 1 FP to cancel them prematurely, or even stuff that you normally can't dispel like healing.

T24's FSE says it doesn't apply to healing while F168's elaboration on IM says it DOES though, making me unsure as to how to treat healing unless these same-priced similar limitations aren't entirely the same.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, path/book magic, thaumatolgy