Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
Kieddicus

Default Monsters Modified

This board is for sharing any reworks you have done to the monsters in your games. I'll start off with two simple changes I have made and why:

We wanted dragons to be a bit scarier, but still fight-able for a well equipped hero. On one hand we figured a 12-15 foot dragon (7 hexes) should probably kill who ever they hit but we ended up deciding a 40 pimped out hero should be able to put up a fight versus a 7 hex dragon, and be able to take one average attack from a 14 hex one.
This is what we came up with.

Dragons reworked
St: #hexes*10
Dx: unmodified
IQ: unmodified
MA: greater of 8 or #hexes*2
MA-Flying: MA*2
Claw: (#hexes/2)d in case of odd hexes round down and add 2 dmg; 1-hex dragons deal 1d-1.
Breath: same damage and cost; breath attacks are AoE weapons after traveling 2 hexes increase the width by 1 hex and reduce the dmg by 1d. Victim rolls to dodge rather than the dragon rolling to hit.
Armour: all sizes stop 1 more hit per attack.

Demons didn't need much of a change but since you have to do and IQ contest to get a wish we decided that the contest should actually be hard. Also I have ways to stop people from teleporting in my games so demons needed a normal MA just in case.

Lesser Demon rework
IQ: 15
MA: 10, when not teleporting.

Greater Demon rework
IQ: 20
MA: 14, when not teleporting.

I left my stuff at my parents' house so my other changes will have to wait to be posted.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Monsters Modified

I've got an extensively expanded treatment of demons and demon summoning kicking around somewhere here as a pdf. It is focused more on the diversity of demons and their powers than on modifying things like combat stats of RAW demons, but might be of interest to people who come to this thread. Here's an updated link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AP...ew?usp=sharing
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
Kieddicus

I'll have to give that a look! I was thinking of doing the same thing, I just haven`t had the time too yet.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
hcobb

ST is not linear in size in TFT.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
phiwum

There's no explicit rules for how ST scales according to size in TFT, though there are certain trends. There's no contradiction in deciding that ST scales linearly for dragons if that's what you want to do.

In fact, ST for dragons currently differently than your pattern, so it is bumfuzzling why you're complaining that Kieddicus's ST scales linearly. Your personal interpretation of how ST should scale doesn't match the official rules. You've just seen a pattern and decided that's how things ought to be and that any exceptions in ITL are errors.

Last edited by phiwum; 04-13-2021 at 09:18 AM.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #6
hcobb

Best fix is that TFT dragons ain't heavy, they're fluffy.