Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Agemegos

Default Re: Ideas for real-world people belonging to the inner circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
These people unquestionably exist, but who they are is somewhat obscure. People who know the royals personally tend to keep quiet about it, and don't participate in the modern trend for self-publicity, at least on this front. So I'd suggest that you research likely institutions and invent individuals.
But if you are looking for a real person who is plausible in the part, look for someone who was a canon or the dean of St. Georges, Windsor when HM was first seeking counsel about her visions, and who has since received a high honour in the RVO. Not the Dean of the Chapel Royal, which is an office held by the (politically-appointed) Bishop of London. Someone lower in the Chapel Royal is possible—the Sub-Dean of the Chapel Royal is Domestic Chaplain to HM at Buckingham Palace, but my impression is that the Chapel Royal is more official and ceremonial, and more musical than spiritual in its focus.

I commend to your attention the Very Reverend John Treadgold LVO, who was a canon of St Georges, serving as chaplain of the Royal Chapel 1981–1989 and then moving on to a very nice job as Dean of Chichester — which is not appointed by the PM. Got a gargoyle carved after him. Also, the Reverend William Booth CVO, who had the right sort of appointments in the Ecclesiastical Household at about the right time (Priest in Ordinary to HM Queen Elizabeth from 1976 to 1993), and has enjoyed several marks of Royal favour, including the CVO and a very comfortable Church post in the Royal Peculiar of Westminster (Priest-Vicar of Westminster), which is in the personal gift of the Sovereign.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-09-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Did the Queen Mother of sainted memory have any clerical friends? A church she'd attend for other than public occasions?
Well, she routinely attended services at St. George's Chapel (which is the church serving Windsor Castle), Craithe Kirk (the parish church nearest to Balmoral Castle), and St. Mary Magdalene Church (the church the Family attend when they are staying at Sandringham). There is also the Royal Chapel in Windsor Great Park, but it has no incumbent—services are performed by one of the canons of St. George's.

The Reverend Anthony Hall Harrison Harbottle, LVO is sometimes mentioned has having been her chaplain. He was a canon of St. Georges and chaplain to HM the Q from 31 May 1968. He resigned in 1981, though, and died in 2009, aged 84.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
But if you are looking for a real person who is plausible in the part, look for someone who was a canon or the dean of St. Georges, Windsor when HM was first seeking counsel about her visions, and who has since received a high honour in the RVO.
That is indeed precisely the sort of thing I'm looking to find.

Quote:
I commend to your attention the Very Reverend John Treadgold LVO, who was a canon of St Georges, serving as chaplain of the Royal Chapel 1981–1989 and then moving on to a very nice job as Dean of Chichester — which is not appointed by the PM. Got a gargoyle carved after him. Also, the Reverend William Booth CVO, who had the right sort of appointments in the Ecclesiastical Household at about the right time (Priest in Ordinary to HM Queen Elizabeth from 1976 to 1993), and has enjoyed several marks of Royal favour, including the CVO and a very comfortable Church post in the Royal Peculiar of Westminster (Priest-Vicar of Westminster), which is in the personal gift of the Sovereign.
Apart from the neat little detail of the gargoyle, I must say that Booth seems far superior as a candidate, at least as far as the timing issue goes. The fact that he's dead will not be a major problem, as I can no doubt postulate plausible successors for his role in the conspiracy by using him as a connection.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Agemegos

Quote:
But if you are looking for a real person who is plausible in the part, look for someone who was a canon or the dean of St. Georges, Windsor when HM was first seeking counsel about her visions, and who has since received a high honour in the RVO.
Here's an interesting bod: the Right Reverend Michael Mann KCVO. Harrow and Sandhurst, then into the Colonial Service in Kenya during the Mau Mau Uprising. Then ordained, then bishop of Dudley (a see with no diocese, created in 1974 for him to occupy), then Dean of Windsor 1977–1989.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Icelander

Quote:
Here's an interesting bod: the Right Reverend Michael Mann KCVO. Harrow and Sandhurst, then into the Colonial Service in Kenya during the Mau Mau Uprising. Then ordained, then bishop of Dudley (a see with no diocese, created in 1974 for him to occupy), then Dean of Windsor 1977–1989.
Certainly does look interesting. Could have been one of the first to see the global possibilities, that if the Queen really saw spirits and had visions, maybe some of the other supernatural beliefs in the world were true. He could have maintained contact with Colonial Office chaps and locals in Kenya; people who lived in a culture where belief in ancestor spirits, witch doctors and suchlike were not ancient relics but daily life. Cast him as a leading force for making the Shadow Court not only a British thing, but a Commonwealth one.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Agemegos

Quote:
Certainly does look interesting. Could have been one of the first to see the global possibilities, that if the Queen really saw spirits and had visions, maybe some of the other supernatural beliefs in the world were true. He could have maintained contact with Colonial Office chaps and locals in Kenya; people who lived in a culture where belief in ancestor spirits, witch doctors and suchlike were not ancient relics but daily life. Cast him as a leading force for making the Shadow Court not only a British thing, but a Commonwealth one.
On the little we know about him he is easily fictionalised into a character with a very strange background. Harrow means connections with the wealthy and titled. Sandhurst means training as an Army officer. Going from Sandhurst into the Colonial Office rather than the Army suggests the intelligence service. Secret service in Kenya during the Mau-Mau uprising allows for some very, very murky experiences. Then he retreats into the clergy, but peace eludes him: They need him for something that calls for ordination into episcopal rank, but not having a diocese to look after. When that is done, they moving him over to Windsor for routine access to the Royal Family. And when it is all done, he gets a KCVO, the highest possible award for personal service to HM.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #17
Icelander

Quote:
On the little we know about him he is easily fictionalised into a character with a very strange background. Harrow means connections with the wealthy and titled. Sandhurst means training as an Army officer. Going from Sandhurst into the Colonial Office rather than the Army suggests the intelligence service. Secret service in Kenya during the Mau-Mau uprising allows for some very, very murky experiences.
I like it. The Shadow Court was initially very much a private intelligence service; recollecting an earlier Elizabeth and her courtiers.

Quote:
Then he retreats into the clergy, but peace eludes him: They need him for something that calls for ordination into episcopal rank, but not having a diocese to look after. When that is done, they moving him over to Windsor for routine access to the Royal Family.
Whatever this involved, it wouldn't have anything to do with the supernatural, as in the 70s, the world wasn't any more magical than ours. I prefer the idea that it was a reward which allowed him to retire with dignity, after some very bad experiences. Being assigned to Windsor would then mark his return to active religious life, wiser and more compassionate toward the mental anguish of his flock for his own experience of mental scars.

An ideal confidant for a Queen dealing with some truly mind-shattering revealations and doubts, in the early stages. The more so because he had a record of extreme confidentiality and loyalty in the service of the Crown, aside from his duty as a priest.

Quote:
And when it is all done, he gets a KCVO, the highest possible award for personal service to HM.
Now that could have been granted after becoming a member of the Shadow Court.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Icelander

Default Reading Material

I've obtained Andrew Marr's The Diamond Queen and am reading it now, hoping for glimpses into HM's private life and, especially, mentions of people who'd make interesting conspiracy members. I looked for the Hon. Margaret Rhodes' The Final Curtsy too, but didn't find it in the bookstore.

Does anyone have suggestions about books to read for looks inside the lives and relationships of Her Majesty, her mother and to a lesser extent the rest of the Royal Family, esp. in the period 1980-2012? Other form of media that would be useful?*

*I've seen Mirren and Firth win their Oscars, which was nice, but I'm looking for rather more detail.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Icelander

Default Re: The Shadow Court of HM Queen Elizabeth II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
I just want to say I love this idea, and if you want anyone to pitch in with experiences of studying the occult scene in our world, feel free to PM me questions.
Thank you.

I've found that public discussions often yield far more creative impetus and interesting insights; in that they allow many more people to participate and bounce ideas of each other. If there's anything you have to contribute, I'd welcome input in the thread.

As regards the occult, I don't have a library on it like Ken Hite, but at the same time I got reading material on the Queen, I also picked up two books with promising titles; namely A Brief Guide to Secret Religions by David V. Barret and The Mammoth Book of Lost Symbols by Nadia Julien. They are next on my reading list. I'm also a regular reader of the Suppressed Transmission column in Pyramid and I've found GURPS Thaumatology to be endlessly helpful.

Apart from that, I've read the odd reference book over the years, I suppose, but more about ancient and historical myths, legends and belief systems than the people who hold such beliefs today. I did do a fair bit of research for my Boston Mystic campaign a couple of years ago, though, enough to learn how to fake it in a game, at least as it applied to the paranormal things that cropped up in play.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Agemegos

Quote:
Now that could have been granted after becoming a member of the Shadow Court.
It was gazetted in 1989, when he retired as Dean of Windsor.

Tags
modern fantasy, monster hunters, queen elizabeth, secret magic, shadow court