Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Bestowing Personality-based Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
But 4 times what? do you mean to price the "added advantage" as "Appropriate template" and then charge 4x for the affliction, without a defined basic ability?
Yeah. Afflict the most expensive metatrait and then buy that as a Wildcard power.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #12
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Isn't this a little like Dominance (the advantage that werewolves have to turn other people into werewolves)? Dominance is MUCH cheaper than Matrix_walker's +10,000% - it's 20 points plus the price of buying each victim as an Ally.

Dominance includes being able to control the victims. I'm not sure whether you want your villain to be able to control the victims or not. Maybe instead of being controlled directly by the villain they get Disadvantages along with the superpower package that make them cause trouble on their own initiative.

This power, unlike regular Dominance, allows for different powers to be given each time, so it should cost more, but it sounds as if the villain can't control which power, so not much more.
Dominance would be interesting. However, I don't want the victims to be controlled.

Also, I don't want the victims to be "re-infected". Once the victims get powers, then they don't get them a second time (unless they somehow lose their powers and become human again. Then re-infection might be possible).

In addition, powers have to be based at least somewhat on personality

My guess is that it would be some version of "Accessibility" or something like that. How exactly would the Limitations be priced?
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
Coinage

Here is a version of it with the wild-card ability, based on the Supers recommendation.

-Affliction, Advantage 1 [10 / lvl = 10] (B35)

Enhancements
--Advantage, 500 points [+10% per point the advantage is worth, + 5000% = 500] (B36)
--Mental and Physical [+100% = +10] (B71)
--Permanent, cannot be removed [300% + 30] (B104)

Limitations:
--Accessibility: Advantages given are limited to be in response to pre-existing Mental and/or Physical Disadvantages [-50% = -5] (PU8, p. 4)
--Accessibility: Only once a year [-60% =-6] (PU8, p. 4)
Sum: 644

--Wild Card: "Can bestow any power, but the powers are ultimately unpredictable and based on the recipient’s present circumstances, past background, worries about the future, personality, and other factors. Also, a person only be empowered once.” [x4] (S41)
Total: 2156

How does that sound?

Last edited by Coinage; 05-11-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
Anders

It's expensive as all hell, but it's a very versatile power. Yeah, I think I can buy that.

Now, would I allow a PC to have it? Hell no.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #15
Donny Brook

I think I'd start from the other end:

Modular Abilities (Cosmic Pool, 10/lvl)(Afflictions only -30%, Focus limited: Permanent traits only -5%, Accessibility: only related to traits already possessed by the target -40%, Uncontrollable: cannot choose what trait is afflicted (Modifier on a modfier -30% of Afflictions only limitation) -9%, Net -84% capped at -80%) [2/lvl].

Buy levels to reflect the cost of the Afflictions you want to apply. Duplicate this power for Physical-Only Modular Ability and make the cheaper version an Alternate ability. Consult GM for value of reduction for extreme rarity of use if applicable.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
Culture20

If you have no control over what powers are created, but want to be able to empower people at-will, there always the cheap option of Controllable Disadvantage (Origins Magnet). Offload all the work to the GM. GMs love extra homework. It's what fuels them.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #17
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It's expensive as all hell, but it's a very versatile power. Yeah, I think I can buy that.

Now, would I allow a PC to have it? Hell no.
Agreed. It was just a way for me to stat out a specific power for a NPC.

Sort of like the character of "Calamity" from brandon Sanderson's Epic book series.

Last edited by Coinage; 05-11-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #18
the_matrix_walker

"Mental and Physical, +100%" is a special enhancement for Modular abilities, and you are not using those here. There is no need for that enhancement on an Affliction.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #19
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Mental and Physical, +100%" is a special enhancement for Modular abilities, and you are not using those here. There is no need for that enhancement on an Affliction.
Okay, updating:

Enhancements
--Advantage, 500 points [+10% per point the advantage is worth, + 5000% = 500] (B36)

Limitations:
--Accessibility: Advantages given are limited to be in response to pre-existing Mental and/or Physical Disadvantages [-50% = -5] (PU8, p. 4)
Sum: 529

--Wild Card: "Can bestow any power, but the powers are ultimately unpredictable and based on the recipient’s present circumstances, past background, worries about the future, personality, and other factors. Also, a person only be empowered once.” [x4] (S41)
Total: 2116

How does that sound?
Old 05-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #20
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Okay, updating:

Enhancements

Limitations:
Sum: 529

Total: 2116

How does that sound?
Let me recommend phrasing the accessibility as dependant on the subject's traits rather than specifically their disadvantages, which opens the door to enhance things they are already good at in their existing nature, which is as much a trope in the nature of acquired powers as disadvantage based ones are.

Also, if you are only able to access this power annually, the discount should be greater than -60%. I might just price it as a character point powered ability, or take some Destiny (only to power CP powered abilities) and set it to BE a cp powered ability for 1/5th cost.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote