Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Diebdazar

Default KFM: Keysi Fighting Method as a Style

Still learning GURPs and trying to wrap my head around the styles rules, have tried searching the forums. How would one model KFM using the styles as presented in GURPs Martial Arts?

From Wikipedia:

Keysi Fighting Method (KFM) is a method of self defense that is based on natural fighting instincts and several street fighting techniques, developed by Justo Diéguez Serrano from his fighting experiences in the streets of Spain. The system was founded also with the help of Andy Norman.

The Keysi Fighting Method became famous after it was used in the fighting choreography of the movies Batman Begins and its sequel, The Dark Knight. Both founders, Justo Diéguez and Andy Norman, are certified Jeet Kune Do instructors under Dan Inosanto.

KFM makes use of multiple attacking ranges, with or without weapons. The KFM trademark is the thinking man (Pensador) and thinking man attack (pensataq), which makes use of a tight defensive shape to protect the most precious part of the body, the head, and smashes and opens up the opponent for the finish using all ranges of strikes - punches, hammer fists, kicks, knees, head butts, and the sharp elbows, all at high, middle and low lines on the opponent. Unlike many martial arts, KFM tends to get into extreme close quarters when in combat. From the Pensador defense a variety of counter attacks to vital targets (such as the biceps, kidneys or solar plexus) are often launched. KFM also relies on understanding how people typically move or attack in a fight so that when striking, the opponent's body moves to expose further targets.

The shape of the thinking man represents the unification of the mind and body.

Another aspect of KFM is its "360-degree" approach to multi-assailant attacks whether standing, kneeling, sitting or lying down. Part of KFM's philosophy is the redefining of the terms "predator and prey" as well, where the would-be victim becomes the predator and the would-be attackers his/her prey.
Diebdazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
SuedodeuS

Default Re: KFM: Keysi Fighting Method as a Style

I don't currently have access to my books, but off the top of my head:

Brawling: "Natural fighting instincts" and "street fighting" both strongly imply use of Brawling, despite the fact that most would think of Batman as using Karate (particularly with the fact that the reboot officially made him a ninja). Thinking back on how he typically fights in the movies, however, Brawling does seem to fit. The list of strikes mentioned are all usable by Brawling (I think), and there are some that aren't usable by Karate (like Head Butt, IIRC).

Clench: I think there's a Style Perk that makes you better at extreme close combat - if so, it's definitely a fit for this style.

Techniques: All but Punch are actual Techniques in GURPS MA, so those would definitely be in the style. Targeted Attack (Brawling Punch/Vitals) is a good one for the kidney/solar plexus punches, although the punch to the biceps would just be an attack to the arm (which is a waste of points to try and buy off the penalty, IMO).

Thinking Man: There might be reason to allow someone to get a bonus to Parry against high attacks by taking a penalty to Parry against low attacks to emphasize the defense of the head; alternatively, just let stylists buy Enhanced Parry (Brawling), possibly limited to "Upper Body Only." From the description, I'd say stylists make heavy use of Evaluate and Deceptive Attacks. The mention of going after openings implies either a specialized Technique the penalizes Parry (probably cinematic), or on the more realistic side things like Riposte and Counterattack. The fact that it was made by people proficient in Jeet Kune Do also means that Stop-Hits might be popular.

360-degrees: This implies possibly Peripheral Vision or something more exotic (for cinematic campaigns). Perks like Ground Fighting (is that what it's called? can't remember) would also be appropriate, as the style apparently teaches how to defend from multiple stances. The Predator vs Prey thing might take the form of things like high Will and Indomitable (to prevent fear), and Combat Reflexes.

You'll want to find a lot more information on the actual style before GURPSifying it, to try and stay true to how it functions. For example, the text you supplied makes no mention of what kinds of weapons it teaches. Improvised Weapons (Brawling) would probably make for a good Perk, and Knife, Shortsword (for sticks), and Axe/Mace (for heavier blunt objects) might be good for optional skills. You could probably also watch Batman Begins and Dark Knight with a slow-mo remote to get a better idea of how the style works.

EDIT: A quick Google search found me a YouTube video of it being used (there were others, but as my sound is out they aren't very useful to me). It looks to incorporate a decent amount of grappling as well, meaning Wrestling or Judo should be a part of the style.

Last edited by SuedodeuS; 06-07-2009 at 09:37 PM.
SuedodeuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
The list of strikes mentioned are all usable by Brawling (I think), and there are some that aren't usable by Karate (like Head Butt, IIRC).
No, Head Butt can default from Karate. It does sound like brawling to me as well, it really depends on how much training is spent on learning to hit harder (using the whole body, etc...) the primary mechanical difference between the two schools is damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Clench: I think there's a Style Perk that makes you better at extreme close combat - if so, it's definitely a fit for this style.
Clinch is only useful if the style does not include judo or wrestling.
[/QUOTE]
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
aesir23

Actually, looking at some youtube videos myself, I'd say that they do use Karate. Lots of emphasis on striking and no reason why JKD practicioners wouldn't use more scientific striking theory with their "street fighting" moves.

Some of the videos showed a lot of "Ground and Pound Techniques, so it probably incorporates Ground Fighting (Karate).
Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
aesir23

Okay, I'm just going to hammer out a write up before work.

Skills: Karate, Wrestling
Techniques: Counter Attack (Karate), Elbow Strike (Karate), Ground Fighting (Karate), Hammer Strike (Karate), Head Butt (Karate), Targeted Attack (Karate Punch/Vitals), Targeted Attack (Elbow Strike/ Face), Targeted Attack (Hammer Strike/Face)
Cinematic Skills: None
Cinematic Techniques: Fighting While Seated (the actually mention this on one of the promos), Timed Defense
Perks: Neck Control, Style Adaptation (Jeet Kune Do)
Old 06-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Diebdazar

Looks good Aesir23 :)

and aye I should likely look up more information about the style before trying to include/describe it.

Thank you :)
Diebdazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
aesir23

Your welcome. :) I just love writing styles.

A variation with Brawling instead of Karate works just as well, you just need to decide if they spend a lot of time training the full body coordination necessary to maximize striking damage, or keep things simple so that it can be learned more quickly.

Also: I forgot Uppercut, I think the style may use Uppercut.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
chris1982

I would model the Pensador, which is basically the center of the style as a Defensive Attack (idhmbwm is it called that way in MA?) and give them a technique to reduce the attack penalty..
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
aesir23

There is no attack penalty for Defensive Attack, only reduced damage. I think the basic attack types (Defensive, Committed, All Out, etc...) are out of bounds for techniques. Just make a note in the flavor text that they favor defensive attack, ala Wing Chun.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:40 PM   #10
WholesomeMadScientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Skills: Karate, Wrestling
Techniques: Counter Attack (Karate), Elbow Strike (Karate), Ground Fighting (Karate), Hammer Strike (Karate), Head Butt (Karate), Targeted Attack (Karate Punch/Vitals), Targeted Attack (Elbow Strike/ Face), Targeted Attack (Hammer Strike/Face)
Cinematic Skills: None
Cinematic Techniques: Fighting While Seated (the actually mention this on one of the promos), Timed Defense
Perks: Neck Control, Style Adaptation (Jeet Kune Do)
How many points?
WholesomeMadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote