Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
kate_unknown

Default Listed as 3E?

I am curious why no books in Warehouse 23 are listed as 2E/1E, does that mean that all the listed books are compatible with 3E if they say 3E?

That seems rather unlikely for the following:
-Man to Man/Orcslayer
-Humanx/FLoMN
-Horseclans/BtAUP
-The Old Stone Fort
-AADA 1-7
-Autoduel: Car Warriors
-Fantasy Harkwood
-Space: Unnight
-Zombietown USA
-Space Atlas 1 & 2
-And possibly more?

All of these were released before 3E as far as I can tell and since there is an 80 page update between 2E and 3E seems like there would be some playability issues.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by kate_unknown; 06-08-2021 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added car warriors to the list
kate_unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: Listed as 3E?

That update didn't change too much, some traits got cheaper and superpowers were revamped a bit. I know for certain that Horseclans (my copy of that is missing, and I'm well mad about that), Autoduel and all the Space ones you mentioned are probably 90% compatible e.g. it's cheaper to be Undying in 3e by about 30 points, but that's the only major difference for Horseclans that I recall. Same for the rest of the stuff on your list, although I'm not sure what you're abbreviations mean.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
Pursuivant

For convenience, SJG lists all supplements printed for earlier versions of GURPS as "GURPS 3e." In terms of character generation and most combat rules there are few differences between 1e, 2e, and 3e. The big change between 1e/2e and 3e is that the rules for ranged weapons were changed.

Given that most of the content in GURPS 1e & 2e books doesn't involve game mechanics it wouldn't be any harder to convert those books to 4e than to convert a GURPS 3e book. If anything, GURPS 1e/2e content is easier to convert since the concept of enhancements and limitations on skills hadn't been invented. That came in with GURPS 2e Supers and related supplements like IST, Super Scum, Mixed Doubles, Super Adventures, etc.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
LokRobster

I have all of those, and they are quite compatible with 3e.
I joined GURPS at the dawn of 3e, around 1990 or so, but had been into Car Wars since ‘86. I bought Car Warriors and the Road Atlas and Survival Guides before I got the Basic Set book.

A few pages, like the weapon tables, have pencil marks in them where I wrote in the stats that were different. That’s really the only change I made for Humanx too, I love Alan Dean Foster’s books and the GURPS treatment of it is great.

On characters, the exact point values and some traits will be off if you’re trying to match modern values, but for NPCs it’s an easy adjustment and they’re GM-able as-is. Making PCs out of the Car Warrior listings would be easy, using the stats as a starting point to make them in GCA.

The stories and backgrounds are all good to go. I recommend any of them if the subject material interests you at all.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #5
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
...I'm not sure what your abbreviations mean.
-Humanx/FLoMN
-Horseclans/BtAUP

For the Love of Mother-Not
Bili the Axe: Up Harzburk!

Both solo adventures. The humanx one works, and is OK.
I have bili the axe but a printing error broke the continuity of which paragraphs go where and lead to what and made it unplayable. I’ve always wished someone had the original map of the text and had a way for us to ‘correct’ our copies... but alas.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #6
kate_unknown

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I actually recently ordered a copy of GURPS basic set 1e, GURPS 2e to 3e conversion, and GURPS basic set 3e (unrevised) so I am going to take a look through them and see how the variation is represented. It is a shame that some material isn't captured in PDF but I get that the idea is to only provide the most up to date versioning.

I prefer 4e, so if conversion from 1e/2e is as easy as 3e that would be amazing and it sounds like it from what everyone is saying!
Old 06-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_unknown View Post

I prefer 4e, so if conversion from 1e/2e is as easy as 3e that would be amazing and it sounds like it from what everyone is saying!
There might e a little more conversion required than soem have hinted at but much of that is technical.

For example, Gurps Humanx is o old that it predates Space 1e. So it's starship rules aren't compatible with any other books and it's TL scale goes up to 9 and just stops even though it inclides itesm that latger books put at higher TL levels. However, ll you need to do si sue the 4e tL scale instead and set the Humanx unverse to early TL 11 with lots of TL 10 still in use.

Then if you really need ships you get Gurps Spaceships and design your ships with that. It's a very simple system.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
For convenience, SJG lists all supplements printed for earlier versions of GURPS as "GURPS 3e." In terms of character generation and most combat rules there are few differences between 1e, 2e, and 3e. The big change between 1e/2e and 3e is that the rules for ranged weapons were changed.
I found the damage scaling change the biggest problem, not the range mechanics change.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
kate_unknown

The reason I'm skeptical that the changes are so minor is because the wiki lists the 2e to 3e conversion document as 80 pages, and they had to fill those 80 pages with something.

I've got that document coming in the mail, but it isn't here yet. I'll let everyone know if there is anything interesting in there when it does.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #10
Anaraxes

In the meantime, here's a list of differences between 2e and 3e, originally prepared to create that Update document.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote