Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #11
PBarone714

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip Adventure Leauge?

I am interested in the TFT Adventure League. I live in West Hills, San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles. My nearest game store is Paper Hero's Games in Sherman Oaks, CA.
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
Skarg

Are you thinking to track the number of successful 4- or 5-die rolls, critical hits and misses just for the sake of interest?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
lordtarim

The 4 or more successful die rolls, critical hits and misses, and other stats recorded would be used to determine the winners or top performers from all groups that submitted stats for their adventures.

So to answer your question, yes, all the recorded information would be used.

It could even be expanded beyond individual players stats and we could track the groups success between eachother.

Remember this is all in the most primitive stages right now.

I have the overall idea, an outline for adventure progression along with the type of challenges, a basic idea of the maps to use, the first 2 adventures roughed out, some friends input on loose backstory or reasons for the adventure setups.

I dont know if it should proceed into a kickstarter setup to get the book and pdf done, to attempt to contact steve directly to see if he is interested in providing any support, or to run a 3rd party "non offical" type set up.

This is all being done on the side as a hobby right now as i am not a professional writer or game designer, just a very long time fan still fairly young (turning 39) thats been playing over 25 years as much as i can, looking for work, building my own house and homestead, raising farm animals and kids, so time is limited unless it becomes a paying gig.
lordtarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

It does sound cool. But it's not something we would proceed on, or - in this form, at least - encourage fans to do for themselves. Off the top of my head - and I don't mean to sound negative but I kind of am, even though it would be a thing of beauty if it worked . . .

- The creative effort to generate, playtest, and check that much material could do a lot of different things for TFT. Things that would help everyone, not just those near stores. (If you think you're that good a short adventure writer, send me a Quick Quest proposal . . . today . . .)

- The administrative effort would fall on PvK, and I have other things for him to be doing! And in honesty, that is not what he signed up for.

- Experience teaches that self-reported tournament systems get gamed, in the bad way. And who wants to get involved in online arguments about what really happened at a table 500 miles away? I do not.

- I won't even start in on the CODING costs, because I still think the WWW is magic, but I have learned that the wizards want to be paid.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #15
lordtarim

Well to just put an "end cap" to this thread's focus, I would like to sum up my hopes for the future of The Fantasy Trip.

I totally get each of the points Steve made in the last thread post on this topic and they are all things that should be considered if we (as fans or future gaming supplement publishers) are to get something like an adventure league off the ground and into the hands of players.

I would love to see others get involved in creating setting type content to expand the world of The Fantasy Trip.

I personally would like to publish a "Powered by TFT" or "Compatible with TFT" setting book in the tradition of GURPS and help open the avenue for others to possibly do the same thing for The Fantasy Trip.

I would not want to re publish any of the already written rules (like In The Labyrinth, Wizard, ect...) because I want to require folks to get The Fantasy Trip books and I don't want to "Pick Steve's Pocket" because I love all the new stuff we have gotten to play with and the broadened exposure the game has gotten in the RPG community.

I will make the initial "leap of faith" and submit 1 or 2 of my ideas in the near future to Steve to see what they think and cross my fingers.

I would ultimately like to do the adventure league as envisioned (with dry erase cards and all) with a world setting book possibly featuring "non official" rules variants and featuring the winners characters as important NPC's in the setting books story. If that does happen it will be a gaming nerds dream come true.

So to wrap up this blurb of random thoughts and wants, anyone interested in helping to get the project off of the ground (even as a fan only thing) please contact me at Galaxy.System.Games@gmail.com

And thank you Steve for getting this wonderful gem of yours back to the public at large.
lordtarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #16
hcobb

Whataboutism a fan-run YouTube channel that hosts clips of actual gameplay from different gaming groups each week?

I've already started some of this, so just send me your video clips.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #17
zot

This is a good idea!

Here's my 2 cents. Two GMs in separate places could collaborate on a series with one running the adventures two weeks before the other. After each of the two sessions, both GMs could collaborate on tweaking the adventure after each session.

If both GMs were motivated and kept on schedule, they could produce one adventure per month.

Another option might be both GMs tag-teaming. This has worked super well for me in the past.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:25 PM   #18
PBarone714

So when are we going to start the TFT Adventure League???
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote