Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Realm Management examples

Now that Realm Management is out, I thought it'd make sense to make a thread for people to post realms that they've made using it. I don't have any yet, but I plan to make and post some within a few hours.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Realm Management examples

Terranova

Terranova is the first (and as far as they know, only) human colony on another planet. Eighty years ago, 5000 people blasted off, activated their autopilot, and stepped into their suspended-animation pods to sleep during the long journey to a new world. A few months ago, they finally landed. Terranova is still in its very early stages, with infrastructure slowly being assembled and life fairly spartan. However, despite this, the colonists are still in good spirits and hopeful of the future.

Name: Terranova
Total Area: 25 square miles
Realm Size Value: +5 (City-State)
Resource Points: 5 (2 Agriculture Points, 0 Luxury/Precious Goods Points, 1 Natural Resource Point, 2 Workforce Points)
TL: 9
Cultural Traits: None
Realm Inhabitant Racial Traits: None
Population: 5,000
Citizen Loyalty: Good (13, +3)
Infrastructure Rating: 1
Control Rating: 4
Conformity Rating: 3
Openness Rating: 3
Government Type: Bureaucracy
Economy Type: Capitalist
Defense Bonus and Terrain: 0; plains and river
Education Rating: 6
Management Skill (+20%): 16
Habitability: Good (14, +1)
Reaction-Time Modifier: -2*
Realm Enhancements (+60%): Educated Populace 1 (+10%), Habitable Land 1 (+10%), Loyal Citizenry 1 (+15%), Reflexive Realm 3 (+15%); Secure Society 1 (+10%)
Realm Limitations (-50%): Obsolete Infrastructure 2 (-50%)
Social Resonance: 0
Patron Value: 10 points
Enemy Value: -20 points
Base Realm Value: $18,000,000
Realm Value: $23,400,000
Military Resources: $900,000/turn
Revenue: $3,600,000/turn
Starting Revenue: $234,000
Inhabitants’ Status: 0 to 2
Inhabitants’ Wealth: Average to Comfortable
Notes:
• The current government is planned to be a temporary situation; once things have stabilized, the plan is to transition to democratic government and a lower CR.
• As the only realm currently on the planet, Openness Rating and Social Resonance are effectively N/A.
• As the entirety of the population is composed of working-age adults, the base realm value uses a factor of 1 rather than 0.6.
• Starting Resource Points cost another $450,000 not included in Realm Value.

* Includes +1 for bureaucracy

This was designed to serve as the centerpiece for a hard-science colonization game in the vein of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The colony is unlikely to face any direct threat (its boosted habitability represents that they were able to choose the best spot on the planet to land), but hostile wildlife is a risk, and should any disaster strike, there'll be no help coming.

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 03-25-2021 at 07:03 PM.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
J. Edward Tremlett

Nice, but now I have the song 'Terra Nova Cain' by The Church stuck in my head. :)

I just got the book too so I'll have to come up with something fun for the thread. Thanks!
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
RedMattis

According to the table on page 10 a TL8 civlisation has 280 people per square mile. However Japan has 874 people per square mile.

While Japan is dependent on imports they were less so in the past, and from glancing at articles on the topic it sounds like they were more self-sufficient in the past, and could theoretically support their population if they switched gears.

Am I missing something here?

(I've yet to properly read past page 10, I'm still trying to make sense of the pdf, so sorry if this is tackled later)

Edit: Also a TL1 village could only support 10 people (0.5 square miles). I thought even a small village like that usually supported several families and slaves?
Old 03-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
According to the table on page 10 a TL8 civlisation has 280 people per square mile. However Japan has 874 people per square mile.

While Japan is dependent on imports they were less so in the past, and from glancing at articles on the topic it sounds like they were more self-sufficient in the past, and could theoretically support their population if they switched gears.
In 1940, about 20% of the rice and 50% of the soybeans consumed in Japan were imported from abroad. The average daily calories between 1911 and 1931 were 2,200 - a weight loss diet if you are doing light physical work, permanent hunger if you are doing heavy physical work.

"Switching gears" would have been possible; the system in use was antiquated and inefficient. But it would have required sweeping radical reforms - and even then, I'm not sure it would have been enough: the hard limit is the incredibly small percentage of fertile land. Note that's covered on p. 27: Infertile Territory.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post

Am I missing something here?

(I've yet to properly read past page 10, I'm still trying to make sense of the pdf, so sorry if this is tackled later)

Edit: Also a TL1 village could only support 10 people (0.5 square miles). I thought even a small village like that usually supported several families and slaves?
The population guidelines were heavily debated. One problem with lower TLs is that they encompass very different subsistence patterns - hunter/gatherers, nomads, agricultural, etc.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The population guidelines were heavily debated. One problem with lower TLs is that they encompass very different subsistence patterns - hunter/gatherers, nomads, agricultural, etc.
VERY much so.
The numbers given are broad categories more than academically sourced specifics as there are too many variables formula to cover every scenario.
The various modifiers were designed to address this and give GMs (and players) options to tweak for various local conditions such as climate, TL, infrastructure, soil, and more.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #8
ravenfish

I would have liked to see discussion of realms that are unambiguously over local carrying capacity (typically, cities that don't control surrounding farmland) and rely on trade with more agricultural realms to feed their population.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I would have liked to see discussion of realms that are unambiguously over local carrying capacity (typically, cities that don't control surrounding farmland) and rely on trade with more agricultural realms to feed their population.
Like Constantinople?

Sadly, it's already a huge supplement and that means something would have to have been cut.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #10
Been

I would have thought one would be the vessel state of the other
Been is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
realm management