Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
sjolly75

Default GURPS Special Ops blog

Hey all,

Just wanted to let whomever is interested that I've been starting to convert some of the GURPS Special Ops templates from 3E over to 4E, including creating some new ones. Feel free to stop by, peruse the posts, and leave comments as desired. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: GURPS Special Ops blog

Good stuff!
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjolly75 View Post
Hey all,

Just wanted to let whomever is interested that I've been starting to convert some of the GURPS Special Ops templates from 3E over to 4E, including creating some new ones. Feel free to stop by, peruse the posts, and leave comments as desired. Thanks!
It's a great blog. Lots of awesome content there. Thanks for your work!
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
Farmer

Just had a chance to look through this - really nice, thanks!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #5
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Hey all,

Saw this aways back and added to the Classic: Special Ops page of the GURPSwiki

On wildcard skills - they are are a little too powerful for most campaigns. If you need any help I have spent a ridiculous amount of time converting characters and so have a good idea on how to "translate" templates.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hey all,

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Bloggers Who Blog Too Much. Your decoder ring is in the mail.

Very nice. Good choice on the wildcard skills. If anyone has those in real life it's the bloody special operators. I was never a fan of all the 3e spec ops skill lists because they were so long. A wildcard at a moderate level cleans the list up and provides a way for the GM to go "Yup! You were trained for that. Roll X."

I'm also firmly of the opinion that wildcards at Attribute-1 or less is probably realistic for some people. It's like a Talent, but better. Just not as good as an attribute in some instances.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #7
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Welcome to the Brotherhood of Bloggers Who Blog Too Much. Your decoder ring is in the mail.

Very nice. Good choice on the wildcard skills. If anyone has those in real life it's the bloody special operators. I was never a fan of all the 3e spec ops skill lists because they were so long. A wildcard at a moderate level cleans the list up and provides a way for the GM to go "Yup! You were trained for that. Roll X."

I'm also firmly of the opinion that wildcards at Attribute-1 or less is probably realistic for some people. It's like a Talent, but better. Just not as good as an attribute in some instances.
Given how broad many wildcards are I really can't can't anyone past TL4 (when the knowledge in any one area was limited) having one. Ten-Hut! is somewhat on the boarder though Soldier kind of makes it a little bit of a head scratcher.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #8
sjolly75

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Regarding Wildcard talents, I think I'm going to avoid those, as they just feel too cinematic and broad for Special Ops folks (heck, military folks in general). However, I will likely take advantage of the Job Talents (Talents, p.25), as it seems like a perfect fit to bump up several talents without costing an arm and a leg. I'm still trying to dig into it, so happy to hear your experiences and thoughts on it.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Given how broad many wildcards are I really can't can't anyone past TL4 (when the knowledge in any one area was limited) having one. Ten-Hut! is somewhat on the boarder though Soldier kind of makes it a little bit of a head scratcher.
Wildcards are not as broad as you think. I've encountered this a lot. Regular wildcards are basically a placeholder for specific skills and specific tasks. Dramatic wildcards can be whatever the situation calls for. They are descriptive. Template wildcard skills (which Ten-Hut basically is) is mostly just skills. They are prescriptive.

Spec Ops guys having Ten-Hut! at Attribute+0 or less just makes sense to me. I've met some of those guys (I live in a military area) and they have a ridiculous amount of training in a huge amount of things that they keep up with.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Regarding Wildcard talents, I think I'm going to avoid those, as they just feel too cinematic and broad for Special Ops folks (heck, military folks in general). However, I will likely take advantage of the Job Talents (Talents, p.25), as it seems like a perfect fit to bump up several talents without costing an arm and a leg. I'm still trying to dig into it, so happy to hear your experiences and thoughts on it.
Do you mean Wildcard skills? I'm not sure what a wildcard talent is...

Become a Patron!

Tags
blog, blogs