Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #711
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
The teeth on the top of his mouth definitely shows he might come from bovine stock other than cattle... ;)
They are half human.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #712
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Cute? Sure....in a veal kind of way. I suppose if you can have pigs in blankets, you can have veal in a toga :)
... You referring to another sapient in this way strikes me as suspicious :| ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #713
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

He doesn't look cute to me, he looks bratty. However, it's a quite nice piece of art.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #714
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I see nothing wrong with eating other sapients. I mean, it's not like they're going to eat themselves. Well, minotaurs might, but we can't assume that. Fire up the grill, it's time for minotaur-burgers!

Years ago, I did this picture of Ambrosia. Now, I've gone back and redone her in Reality to make a new version.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #715
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I see nothing wrong with eating other sapients. I mean, it's not like they're going to eat themselves. Well, minotaurs might, but we can't assume that. Fire up the grill, it's time for minotaur-burgers!
As long as you share them with those poor starving waifs.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #716
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Douglas Adams may have skewed my views on the concept :)

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #717
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
The horns are cute but I don't like the picture very much, sorry. It looks flat and artificial.

Maybe you could change the perspective (move the camera closer? can't really tell how far it is without knowing the correct proportions) or tone down those harsh outlines a bit so there is some more detail in the face?
I'm afraid I don't quite understand - there are no outlines?

Do you mean the rim lighting? The rim lighting highlights and emphasizes details in the face by lighting them from the side. Shutting them down would leave me with (basically) butterfly lighting, which would destroy detail. Butterfly lighting (key light from the front, or top-front) flattens out details in the face. It's a popular with glamour photography because it makes the nose and brows look smaller, and if you pick the right angle for it it can hide some wrinkles too ;) but in this case flattening the characters face would be counter productive.

I'm using a 65mm lens and telescopic zoom (another glamour trick) to avoid the middle-of-frame bulge/distortion you get with a 35mm lens - you can't get too close though because the field of view is narrow and the subject gets cropped out of frame. I can switch to a 35mm lens or shorter, but then you get the mid-frame distortion.

The surface detail could stand to be cranked up, though; I wanted to experiment with the Reality bridge and this subject anyways, so I'm trying that out too - it produces more naturalistic results and I think ultimately that might be whats throwing your eye off.

The intent on the original wasn't a naturalistic photograph, but more of a impressionistic work with light. The nice thing about CGI is that it's pretty easy to redo the work in an alternate style; this leaves the artist more time/brainspace to focus on the style/method, rather than futzing about to re-capture the subject again.

Last edited by Bruno; 01-31-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Run on sentance of doom
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #718
quarkstomper

I keep meaning to post on this thread and putting it off. Here is a gallery of a few of my own gaming sketches. They're mostly pencil sketches, with one executed in marker and colored pencil and a few that have been colored in PhotoShop.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #719
Ts_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Do you mean the rim lighting?
Yes, I guess that's the term. You understood my questions perfectly, luckily.

Quote:
The rim lighting highlights and emphasizes details in the face by lighting them from the side.
Well, might be a calibration issue (my screen is far from calibrated), but I thought the face was too dark, obscuring details. Especially the eyes are too dark to connect to. I don't mind the rim lights per se, but I think they just aren't balanced for the front light (or ambient).

Quote:
Shutting them down would leave me with (basically) butterfly lighting, which would destroy detail.
Beauty light softens skin detail because it comes from (relatively) large light sources (a huge softbox, very close). Sure, you put these lights somewhere in the front, but that's not what makes them beauty light, I think. A little bit of angle can still give you harsh shadows and lots of texture with a slightly off-center front light if it is a small light source. (The shadows will be small but dark.) A beauty light leaves almost no shadows because the light fills the irregularities of the skin from all sides because it is so big that it is essentially all around the face.
Butterfly lighting shouldn't by itself remove that much detail unless you do it with large light sources (which is, of course, the usual assumption). Just try a single small "sun" light to balance the rim lights would be my suggestion.

What I really find weird about the light setup, though, is that I cannot physically explain the U-shaped outline/halo starting at each brow and going all the way around the nose. Also, inside his right ear (left side of the pic) there's a weird light spot. There seems to be light coming from everywhere except where it would light anything up ... I really can't decipher that light properly.

Quote:
I'm using a 65mm lens and telescopic zoom (another glamour trick) to avoid the middle-of-frame bulge/distortion you get with a 35mm lens - you can't get too close though because the field of view is narrow and the subject gets cropped out of frame. I can switch to a 35mm lens or shorter, but then you get the mid-frame distortion.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly that the telescopic zoom is on top of the 65mm or if the 65mm is the final value (assuming 35mm film equivalent) ... Besides those technicalities, I think that kids in general can take the distortion of a close camera, as it shows the viewer exactly that closeness. I was missing some impression of depth in the picture, so a little less tele-flatness and a little more distortion might help.

Quote:
The intent on the original wasn't a naturalistic photograph, but more of a impressionistic work with light.
Okay. Then I was aiming my critique at the wrong result anyway.

Regards
Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #720
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper
I keep meaning to post on this thread and putting it off. Here is a gallery of a few of my own gaming sketches. They're mostly pencil sketches, with one executed in marker and colored pencil and a few that have been colored in PhotoShop.
Nice. Do you have any particular source of inspiration?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art