Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default Deathtouch for non-casters

If someone uses a $120 universal scroll to cast a 3d Deathtouch, will it just stay on their hand until they punch something? They can eat, pick locks, get dressed, sleep, pick pockets, have a beer, whatever - as long as they don’t attack someone using their charged hand, correct?

What happens if you punch a wall? How about a golem? (Deathtouch affects only living beings and undead)

If the user fights using a staff, they could enchant it as a wizard’s staff for $30 and get some sweet damage which bypasses blocks and unarmed parries, but wouldn’t get wasted on a miss, parry or dodge?

Also, does the universal scroll of Deathtouch exist in 6d version?

(Conceivably, it would be a fun critical failure result to discharge it acicdently, but DFS13 is pretty clear that it’s unlikely)
Old 01-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
JMason

Default Re: Deathtouch for non-casters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
If someone uses a $120 universal scroll to cast a 3d Deathtouch, will it just stay on their hand until they punch something? They can eat, pick locks, get dressed, sleep, pick pockets, have a beer, whatever - as long as they don’t attack someone using their charged hand, correct?

What happens if you punch a wall? How about a golem? (Deathtouch affects only living beings and undead)

If the user fights using a staff, they could enchant it as a wizard’s staff for $30 and get some sweet damage which bypasses blocks and unarmed parries, but wouldn’t get wasted on a miss, parry or dodge?

Also, does the universal scroll of Deathtouch exist in 6d version?

(Conceivably, it would be a fun critical failure result to discharge it acicdently, but DFS13 is pretty clear that it’s unlikely)
Per the description of Melee Spells (Spells p. 13), you have to make a "genuine" attack, and the target must fail to defend. I would rule that that attack must also be on a valid target for the spell to "trigger".

Otherwise the character should be able to keep the spell "held", while doing other tasks, but note that Melee Spells prevent casting other spells while they are "held". As far as I can tell RAW doesn't say that a spell ends with unconsciousness, but I have always ruled that melee spells end if the caster is rendered unconscious (even if by choice, aka going to sleep).

Also, note that a staff that has a Melee spell on it, will lose that spell if the staff is ever dropped or put down. So that sweet damage might not seem so great if they have to climb up a rock wall with a staff in hand.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Deathtouch for non-casters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Otherwise the character should be able to keep the spell "held", while doing other tasks, but note that Melee Spells prevent casting other spells while they are "held". As far as I can tell RAW doesn't say that a spell ends with unconsciousness[...].
That’s why it’s great as a scroll for non-casters. Wizards, clerics, druids and bards usually have much better things to do than carry a ready Deathtouch (which they can’t get rid of without successfully hitting a target), but a rapier Swashbuckler will love a quick 3-6d they can rely on when they find themselves in Close Combat. Especially if they can reste after casting it and it doesn’t get wasted between combats!