Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Noršlond questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
Thanks again Douglas! Very cool stuff about the skalds and songs. I need to use them more in the campaign!
A 16-page book on Skalds/Bards really ought to be on my Wish List of things to write for Nordlond. They're too important to have as a generic bard.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
A 16-page book on Skalds/Bards really ought to be on my Wish List of things to write for Nordlond. They're too important to have as a generic bard.
I'd be interested.I mean I bought all your stuff already so thats not much of an incentive but still...
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
Stix4armz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I'd be interested.I mean I bought all your stuff already so thats not much of an incentive but still...
I'll second that! I can't get enough of the new DFRPG and Nordlond books!
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
I'll second that! I can't get enough of the new DFRPG and Nordlond books!
Thanks guys. I've already got at least one book on the back burner . . . and of course 2020 is the year that I go all-out on the Noršlondr Ovinabokin: the Noršlond Enemies Book.

Yep: a giant Bestiary. 200-300 critters. Hopefully full color and hardback . . . but I guess we'll see if we can make it that big. I hope so. That one will be mid to late 2020, though. I've got a TFT project to do first.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
LokRobster

Quote:
Thanks guys. I've already got at least one book on the back burner . . . and of course 2020 is the year that I go all-out on the Noršlondr Ovinabokin: the Noršlond Enemies Book.

Yep: a giant Bestiary. 200-300 critters. Hopefully full color and hardback . . . but I guess we'll see if we can make it that big. I hope so. That one will be mid to late 2020, though. I've got a TFT project to do first.
Would it be crazy to offer-bundle a 16page Skald book as a add-on to the Ovinabokin?

BEASTS AND BARDS
Old 12-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #16
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
Would it be crazy to offer-bundle a 16page Skald book as a add-on to the Ovinabokin?

BEASTS AND BARDS
It would not be crazy . . . but I'm going to try something in 2020 that might make that irrelevant (the add-on thing).

My experience with late add-ons is mixed. On the one hand, the add-ons for The Fantasy Trip were incredibly well received, and probably doubled my revenue. Those were counter sheets and a card deck, and the addition of a fifth adventure to the original four was more of a "yeah, I mispriced the original offering high, and *everyone* gets the new fifth book, which takes the pricing to where it should have been in the first place."

For Nordlond Sagas, adding Hand of Asgard as an add-on mid campaign was not as effective as it could have been. Folks were confused about whether it was included or an add-on (after pledging, many simply ignore the campaign and the updates until the end; that's not a complaint . . . if you back a lot of kickstarters then you are FLOODED with updates), and while I think it did OK, I think more folks will find that book useful than bought it.

In short . . . having "oh, and this other thing too" as an add-on is OK, but it can muddle the pitch unless (as with Phil Reed's new campaigns), "pick from this extensive and cool back-catalog of stuff" is one of the actual pitches from the campaign itself.

I want to keep the enemies book focused on JUST the enemies book. It is a giant project worthy of 100% of my focus and attention. I want to keep the offerings simple on that one. I also will be trying something with some of the upcoming projects that may well really help with the project queue, add-ons, etc. More on that once Nordlond Sagas is done.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
Anders

Quote:
They should be more martial than your average DF bard.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #18
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
They should be more martial than your average DF bard.
That definitely needs to be one of the different flavors.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #19
Gnomasz

Quote:
I want to keep the enemies book focused on JUST the enemies book. It is a giant project worthy of 100% of my focus and attention. I want to keep the offerings simple on that one. I also will be trying something with some of the upcoming projects that may well really help with the project queue, add-ons, etc. More on that once Nordlond Sagas is done.
Besides, Cardboard Heroes or print-yourself-pdf papercraft minis make waaaay more sense as an addon for a monsters book.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #20
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Besides, Cardboard Heroes or print-yourself-pdf papercraft minis make waaaay more sense as an addon for a monsters book.
That's true, and I did something similar for TFT. If folks want something that's on heavy card-stock that's basically the old CH model (cut 'em, fold 'em, stick 'em in a base yourself) I can probably do that quite easily.

If we want the new die-cut cardboard models that are basically 1" x 2" standees (that you still have to provide the base for yourself, but SJG does sell bases), I can still do that . . . but it's going to be VERY expensive unless a whole lot of folks want them and I can arrange a special run. And even then, it's a new supply chain for me if I feel that no one can afford them unless I do a custom large scale run.

Printing and shipping "stuff" instead of "books" is non-trivial, and I don't have the scale to risk a mess-up. I will consider this carefully and see what I can offer with confidence when the time comes.

Tags
noršlond, nordvörn