Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2021, 11:53 PM   #41
Philomath
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

After not having logged in here for over four years I come back from the dead to say Damn Good Job! You really hit it out of the park with this one. Congratulations to you and the whole team which made this happen!

I can't decide if Boardroom and Curia is the perfect compliment to Realm Management or if Realm Management is the perfect compliment to Boardroom and Curia.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic
The only way to get a 'perfect simulation' is to kit up your players, train 'em (or not), and make them actually fight to the death in the backyard.
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:04 AM   #42
Kage2020
 
Kage2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia, US
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Yeah, I threw my money at the screen as soon as I saw it was released.

I've spent the last few years exploring other generic systems in the hopes of achieving a given result. Recently, however, I found myself going "Well, there's GURPS supplement that would allow me to do this..."

Now there's another GURPS supplement that allows me to do that.

Right, now I need to make an underground ersatz settlement with mystical protections and see how it works out. :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:14 AM   #43
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
After not having logged in here for over four years I come back from the dead to say Damn Good Job! You really hit it out of the park with this one. Congratulations to you and the whole team which made this happen!
Thank you so much. This means a lot to me. This book was like a stone around my neck for a long time (I started it in June 2018) and the hardest thing I've written to date. Y'all's reception of it just makes me positively giddy. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
I can't decide if Boardroom and Curia is the perfect compliment to Realm Management or if Realm Management is the perfect compliment to Boardroom and Curia.
Matt's work influenced me greatly. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to make sure the existing framework for Boardrooms and Curia could work for the Wheel. It needs a little bit of work for full compatibly, but I've left all the pieces there for GMs. Just needs a little assembly. If this does well I have several smaller books I want to pitch using the framework and expanding it a bit. But that's a job for the future after we see how well it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
Yeah, I threw my money at the screen as soon as I saw it was released.
:-)
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 03-26-2021 at 12:28 AM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #44
Ewan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hamilton, UK
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Read part of it last night and I like what I’m reading.
It is a meaty supplement but think once I get into it and generate a couple of realms it should be straight forward.
Thanks Christopher for writing it.
Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:10 AM   #45
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
Read part of it last night and I like what I’m reading.
It is a meaty supplement but think once I get into it and generate a couple of realms it should be straight forward.
It's dense, I'll give you that. I hope not too crunchy. I tried to make it so it's accessible at the table since it's a roleplaying tool even though it brings its own mechanics to the table.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
Thanks Christopher for writing it.
Thank you for supporting me as a writer and coming here to tell others about it. :-)
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:14 AM   #46
Michele
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Udine, Italy
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Just scrolled through my comp copy. I can't wait to create a few examples. What I can say now is that the finished product delivers more than what the playtest already seemed to promise.
Well done, thank you.
__________________
Michele Armellini
GURPS Locations: St. George's Cathedral
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:45 AM   #47
Jürgen Hubert
 
Jürgen Hubert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
After not having logged in here for over four years I come back from the dead to say Damn Good Job! You really hit it out of the park with this one. Congratulations to you and the whole team which made this happen!
I likewise came in after a long absence to voice my approval. I only wish I'd had it some six years ago - I ran a rather lengthy GURPS campaign that heavily focused on realm management. But, alas, GURPS Realm Management didn't exist back then, so we had to use the Pathfinder Kingdom Building Rules instead. Which... weren't a great fit.

I'll be looking forward to reports how this system works in practice with great interest.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:09 AM   #48
Philomath
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
I likewise came in after a long absence to voice my approval. I only wish I'd had it some six years ago
I could have used it just six months ago, and six months before that, and . . . I tend to play games where this sort of thing is a staple. I've never been quite happy with anything I've cobbled together or translated from other systems but this ticks like 90% of my boxes. I'm doing a second closer read and actually using the rules so I'm betting that goes up a few points.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic
The only way to get a 'perfect simulation' is to kit up your players, train 'em (or not), and make them actually fight to the death in the backyard.
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #49
Pbuckley
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Well crap I have been working on something like this for a bit over half a year now...

Could I use this to approximate a game of Birthright but for GURPS?

Last edited by Pbuckley; 03-26-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #50
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
I've never been quite happy with anything I've cobbled together or translated from other systems but this ticks like 90% of my boxes. I'm doing a second closer read and actually using the rules so I'm betting that goes up a few points.
I'm sure the author would love to know what boxes it doesn't tick for helpful ideas for a possible future supplement.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
realm management

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.