Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
Dexion
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Healing too much with spells

Hi folks !
In my current fantasy campaign with sessions seeing lots of fights, the group healer has a vital role in getting the team back on their feet after the clashes. The fights often take place in high or very high Mana areas.
The healer knows the spells of Minor/Major and Great Healing (M p.91). And the player is very lucky with his dices so critical success often occur. Nice !

But if Magic p.7 says : On a critical success, the spell works especially well. Details are up to the GM, who should be both generous and creative.

Well, here my question. When you have often critical success in high mana area, you get a free FP spell. It's good but do you have ideas about play creativity about to very well or too much well heal ? Someone that receive two critical success healing spells in the same day could be heal too much or have some problem or exotic side effects ?

It's occur often in my game so I want to have suggestions to inspire prudence to the warriors...
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Imbicatus
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

You should NEVER penalize critical successes. If they roll a critical success, itís supposed to be very good. But, repeated castings of healing spells on the same target have penalties to skill. These will eventually make a spell failure. Spell failures in very high mana are spectacularly bad, so if they keep casting in those situations, eventually the dice will turn against them.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
Brandon_Corey
 
Brandon_Corey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

If you want interesting problems or side effects... how about giving the characters some free points for mutations (or points in a random mutation)?
It will probably look ugly or freaky to normal people and give some nice abilities in combat. You can see some examples, as well as a worked-out system of drawbacks, in After the End.

Edit: this might actually be a better option for critical failures, not successes.
Brandon_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

I'll repeat the recommendation not to penalize critical successes. If you want critical successes on healing to have special effects, allow a special boon. Extra one-time use FP, temporary Very Rapid Healing or Regeneration, +1 on HT rolls for a day, etc.
__________________
RyanW
Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king. Gondor doesn't have to show you any stinking king.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
The healer knows the spells of Minor/Major and Great Healing (M p.91). And the player is very lucky with his dice so critical success often occur.
One nice thing to happen on a critical success would be for that casting to not count for the cumulative -3-per-casting penalty.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Dexion
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

Of course, I don't want to penalize critical Healing spells at all. I'm more looking to add effects for high dose or high amount magic. Maybe mutations yes it's a track ...
Just a remember of a spell that working too well... It's possible that be a bonus. My player suggest to me that will be a good explanation for more HP for his warrior...
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
Of course, I don't want to penalize critical Healing spells at all. I'm more looking to add effects for high dose or high amount magic. Maybe mutations yes it's a track ...
It's fair to do critical healing as a justification for something that the player wants to buy anyway, but I'd avoid any direct long-term effects.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
One nice thing to happen on a critical success would be for that casting to not count for the cumulative -3-per-casting penalty.
Yeah, thats my suggestion as well.
As for beneficial mutations you could have it grant an appropriate Special Exercises perk. So crit success could be Special Exercises (Increased HP) allowing HP to exceed campaign max by 1 if the player wants to.
Only useful if your using capped attributes of course.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
Mister Negative
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Most definitely alone
Default Re: Healing too much with spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
Hi folks !
In my current fantasy campaign with sessions seeing lots of fights, the group healer has a vital role in getting the team back on their feet after the clashes. The fights often take place in high or very high Mana areas.
The healer knows the spells of Minor/Major and Great Healing (M p.91). And the player is very lucky with his dices so critical success often occur. Nice !

But if Magic p.7 says : On a critical success, the spell works especially well. Details are up to the GM, who should be both generous and creative.

Well, here my question. When you have often critical success in high mana area, you get a free FP spell. It's good but do you have ideas about play creativity about to very well or too much well heal ? Someone that receive two critical success healing spells in the same day could be heal too much or have some problem or exotic side effects ?

It's occur often in my game so I want to have suggestions to inspire prudence to the warriors...

I'm not sure why you would want to inspire prudence about successful healings, but you could rule that critically successful healings leave a visible mark of the god on the person healed. Not a scar or anything disabling, but, for example, a white mark in the shape of a sunburst (for a god of light or the sun) or a white mark in the shape of a dove (for a god of peace).

The GM is inspired to be generous and creative, so people shouldn't want to avoid getting them. These marks could be noted and venerated by the faithful, as they would see the recipient as someone who had suffered in defense of the faith (or the faithful). It would be like 'next to martyrdom'--this person suffered grave wounds for the faithful, and the God has healed them for their service.

Alternatively, critically successful healing might also heal minor wounds on the healer--or maybe confer the benefits of a Blessing on the recipient, but only for health/injury/healing related events: +1 on all Health rolls to avoid or recover from injury, until a consequential failure, which is averted (so like, the next time they fail a dismemberment or death check, they make it).
__________________
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
critical success, healing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.