Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective
 
Raekai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Default Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

This should hopefully be an easy one.

If I hit someone with Affliction (Advantage, Damage Resistance 1, +50%; Cumulative, +400%; Fixed Duration, +0%) [55], does the cumulative effect work only for the initial three minutes (of the fixed duration) of does each use reset those three minutes?

I can't seem to find a clarification. If it's the former, how fair would it be to apply Cumulative to the duration itself? Of course, this would assume that base duration is worth +5% to make it Fixed Duration, Cumulative, +25%. (Or maybe building it as Extended Duration, Permanent, +150% with some kind of Accessibility, Must re-afflict every X minutes, -XX% limitation on the enhancement itself.)

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned
 
NineDaysDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
This should hopefully be an easy one.

If I hit someone with Affliction (Advantage, Damage Resistance 1, +50%; Cumulative, +400%; Fixed Duration, +0%) [55], does the cumulative effect work only for the initial three minutes (of the fixed duration) of does each use reset those three minutes?

I can't seem to find a clarification. If it's the former, how fair would it be to apply Cumulative to the duration itself? Of course, this would assume that base duration is worth +5% to make it Fixed Duration, Cumulative, +25%. (Or maybe building it as Extended Duration, Permanent, +150% with some kind of Accessibility, Must re-afflict every X minutes, -XX% limitation on the enhancement itself.)

Thanks!
I'd say you keep track of each time you used affliction and each use lasts 3 minutes. So you get a gradual build up, and a gradual wearing off.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

If someone wanted to apply +400% to allow layering durations INSTEAD of effect (ie for any advantage, not just leveled ones) that wouldn't seem too broken, though it's not official.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned
 
NineDaysDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If someone wanted to apply +400% to allow layering durations INSTEAD of effect (ie for any advantage, not just leveled ones) that wouldn't seem too broken, though it's not official.
Given that Permanent is +300%, +400% is overpriced for layering durations.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Given that Permanent is +300%, +400% is overpriced for layering durations.
What if we applied it to Extended Duration +20%? Quintuple the value is +100% so "it lasts 3x the duration PLUS I can add unused duration to my new duration" would cost as much as 300x duration, meaning you'd need to hit the guy 100x to actually get a longer duration for the same price.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I'd say you keep track of each time you used affliction and each use lasts 3 minutes. So you get a gradual build up, and a gradual wearing off.
If the players were comfortable with the additional book keeping, I would use this as it makes a much more interesting and dynamic ability.

From a general perspective, for +400% I think it should increase duration. That's a pretty huge enhancement.

So, as a simplification for playability, I would say "Yes. Due to the cost of the enhancement, you have reset the duration of the ability when you layer the effect on."
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned
 
NineDaysDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
If the players were comfortable with the additional book keeping, I would use this as it makes a much more interesting and dynamic ability.

From a general perspective, for +400% I think it should increase duration. That's a pretty huge enhancement.

So, as a simplification for playability, I would say "Yes. Due to the cost of the enhancement, you have reset the duration of the ability when you layer the effect on."
+400% is a huge enhancement, which should give you a huge benefit. "a" as in one huge benefit, not as many huge benefit as you like. It already gives you the huge benefit of allowing you to cumulatively stack as many uses as you like on top of each other.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Raekai
World's Worst Detective
 
Raekai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I'd say you keep track of each time you used affliction and each use lasts 3 minutes. So you get a gradual build up, and a gradual wearing off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
If the players were comfortable with the additional book keeping, I would use this as it makes a much more interesting and dynamic ability.

From a general perspective, for +400% I think it should increase duration. That's a pretty huge enhancement.

So, as a simplification for playability, I would say "Yes. Due to the cost of the enhancement, you have reset the duration of the ability when you layer the effect on."
I agree that this is probably the "right" way, but it definitely would be too much to handle for my games, I think.

Also, +400% is a lot. But I also think it'd be nice to have a separate enhancement for cumulative duration if it isn't included in the price of Cumulative. Of, if it is, how much of Cumulative is for cumulative duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
What if we applied it to Extended Duration +20%? Quintuple the value is +100% so "it lasts 3x the duration PLUS I can add unused duration to my new duration" would cost as much as 300x duration, meaning you'd need to hit the guy 100x to actually get a longer duration for the same price.
I was kind of stuck between +50% and +100% myself. Based on GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, I could go either way. It almost feels between Adding Utility (+50%) and Cheating (100%). If it is worth +75%, that would make it a nice half of Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
+400% is a huge enhancement, which should give you a huge benefit. "a" as in one huge benefit, not as many huge benefit as you like. It already gives you the huge benefit of allowing you to cumulatively stack as many uses as you like on top of each other.
Again, this is a simplification for playability. Also, that emphasis is yours, not RAW. You are welcome to interpret it how you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Also, +400% is a lot. But I also think it'd be nice to have a separate enhancement for cumulative duration if it isn't included in the price of Cumulative. Of, if it is, how much of Cumulative is for cumulative duration?
I think that down that path madness lies.

Well, cumulative duration would be a bit much. But, resetting the duration was the original ask, and I think that it would be fine to reset the duration on each use. I strongly doubt it would break the game. The best way to find out is to play with the option and see which you like better.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #10
NineDaysDead
Banned
 
NineDaysDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Does the Cumulative enhancement on Affliction reset the duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Also, that emphasis is yours, not RAW.
I'm pretty sure RAW is that traits have the effects they are stated as having, not the effects you wish they had.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
affliction, cumulative, duration, enhancement, extended duration

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.