Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 08:28 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDave View Post
They could do something like a rewrite but keep the edition number the same. I know that the basic rule books have been criticized for leading off with chargen, instead of describing the core mechanics in some quarters. They could revamp the art as well, that always seemed a bit flat compared to other 4e books IMHO.

edit: of course they'd have to keep the rules mostly the same. Just reordering the content, and rewording where necessary.
I doubt this even more than a 5E.
It would change page numbers, requiring a edit of all existing material. Something they would not have to do for a fifth edition as people would expect page references in fourth edition supplements to point to fourth edition material.
And if you are going to make a massive edit to Basic you might as well make a new edition. Its not liek a lot has to change in the mechanics.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-25-2023, 08:29 AM   #12
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
I've been assuming that one or more of Kromm's secret projects would be something along the lines of DFRPG or Girl Genius RPG, probably done via Kickstarter, but I confess watching that interview does make me wonder about a 5th edition—possibly something significantly simplified but obviously meatier than GURPS Lite.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:04 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

[QUOTE=Refplace;2485737
And if you are going to make a massive edit to Basic you might as well make a new edition. Its not liek a lot has to change in the mechanics.[/QUOTE]

Core mechanics were cleaned up for 4e. The biggest task for 5e would be cleaning up Advantages and regularizing a lot of eccentric stuff like the Invisibility Power. Pruning Skills and Disadvantages wouldn't be bad either.

If you want radical change the Speed/Range Table could be replaced with something simpler. Even a new S/R T based on powers of 2 would be better. That might do something about Gurps reputation for mathematical complexity.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If you want radical change the Speed/Range Table could be replaced with something simpler. Even a new S/R T based on powers of 2 would be better. That might do something about Gurps reputation for mathematical complexity.
Powers of ten would be good. Big Eyes Small Mouth uses that for ranges.

If we're going to have finer subdivisions, I have to say I kind of like the decibel scale (1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6.4, 8, 10), but that's subject to the same criticisms as the current speed/range scale, I suppose.

But I think that making sure steps of x10 fit into the scale would be convenient for avoiding complicated calculations.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:31 AM   #15
Boge

I sure hope so. My group could REALLY use a reboot on the rules and I think only a Gurps 5th edition could trigger that.

Thing is, if it wasn't in development, couldn't they simply say it isn't? Which leads you to believe that not being able to say anything means it is in development.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:45 AM   #16
Michael Thayne

In my experience as someone who periodically tries to drag friends into playing GURPS, mechanical complexity once you start playing has never been the issue for me (except maybe when it comes the more free-form magic systems). It's always been players experiencing decision-paralysis during character creation. For some players, occupational templates help a lot—but for others, even that's too many decisions up front. To fix that problem, something like Gaming Ballistic's Delvers to Grow needs to be a core SJGames offering.

Also, while it's true that when I GM GURPS, I consider easy access to various tables, ideally on a GM screen, an absolute necessity, but rolling random hit locations is one of my favorite things about the game and I wouldn't want that to change.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:37 AM   #17
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I sure hope so. My group could REALLY use a reboot on the rules and I think only a Gurps 5th edition could trigger that.

Thing is, if it wasn't in development, couldn't they simply say it isn't? Which leads you to believe that not being able to say anything means it is in development.
That's exactly why the CIA came up with the Glomar Response "can neither confirm nor deny."
Old 05-25-2023, 11:37 AM   #18
Varyon

Quote:
Honestly, from what I've read about your group, I don't think a new edition will fix things. Or any game rule system, for that matter.

Quote:
Personally, there are some questions I simply refuse to answer - not because the answer is something I'm trying to conceal, but because the opposite answer is something I would try to conceal if it were true and is something that could potentially become true in the future, meaning if I answer now and refuse to answer later (because I prefer not to lie if I can avoid it) when the "I would hide this" answer becomes true, my questioner(s) will be able to deduce the truth. SJGames may be taking a similar approach. Alternatively, it may be something where they're considering a 5th Edition and are purposefully guiding current releases toward what they want in 5e (basically stealthily making new releases backwards-compatible if they do opt to make 5e), in which case neither a "yes" nor "no" answer would be completely honest. Or they've noticed that rumors of a 5e are causing more attention on GURPS, and they don't want to get rid of that attention by admitting that, no, they aren't working on a 5th Edition. There's any number of reasons they may be refusing to answer such a question.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:55 AM   #19
Taneli

It's interesting to see who from this forum are not talking about this, as SJG is pretty much contracting all the books out to writers who frequent this forum...
Old 05-25-2023, 12:01 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Powers of ten would be good. Big Eyes Small Mouth uses that for ranges.

If we're going to have finer subdivisions, I have to say I kind of like the decibel scale (1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6.4, 8, 10), but that's subject to the same criticisms as the current speed/range scale, I suppose.
Decibels have several advantages -- we're generally better at multiples of 10 than multiples of 6, and common ratios such as 2 and 5 are actually very close to integer values on the decibel scale. There is some question about what the right penalty actually should be (is -10 per x10 distance actually a good distance?).

The lazy fix is to have a system 'under the hood' but only bother to list a smaller number of ranges. You could simplify the existing range/speed chart by just deleting all the odd numbers, so it becomes
Code:
1   2   5   10  20  50 100 200 500
+2  0   -2  -4  -6  -8 -10 -12 -14
I will say, however, that being zeroed to 1 yard instead of 2 yards would be a big improvement.