Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #1
cavesalamander

Default Hey, It Turns out I Still Have a Blog.

https://jeffsgurpsstuff.blogspot.com/

Last summer, I had an extended stay in the hospital. Luckily, this stay coincided with Bundle of Holding's GURPS essentials offering, so I grabbed PDFs of the GURPS Basic Set. To give me something to do, I started writing up GURPS versions of Marvel Superheroes. I did more than a few of these back in the days of 3rd edition, but those files have been lost to time.

So that was fun, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed building super characters with GURPS. After my release, I set things aside until a few months back, when I began putting together seeds for what became my currently running (though sporadic) Dungeon Fantasy campaign. I used the GURPS Character Sheet program to make the PCs and monsters for that game, and as I got more familiar with the ins-and-outs of GCS, I started thinking back on those Marvel characters again.

When I read the Pyramid article "Knowing Your Own Strength" and then saw that GCS supported those rules, that clinched it for me.

So here we come to GURPS Marvels. It's a look at the Marvel Universe circa November 1966, 5 years to the month the Fantastic Four took off on their fated rocket ship journey. It's the GURPS Sourcebook I would wish into being if I ever found a genie in a lamp.

Characters built for GURPS Marvels use the lifting and damage progression from "Knowing Your Own Strength." Numbers and other data are pulled from The Gamer's Handbook to the Marvel Universe (mainly), The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe (Deluxe Edition), and on occasion, my own cursory reading of the character's first few adventures (at least up through late 1966). Damage and DR scaling are centered around 6d-8d as "average," 12d-13d as max (Bricks who have bonuses due to Brawling skills and the like go a little higher, but I'm cool with that due to ST's increased cost compared to innate attack). DR tends to be on the lower side, with tougher heroes being given Damage Reduction to compensate.

I've given some characters typical 'adventuring' skills like First Aid, Shadowing, or Stealth to help round them out a little bit, as their skills and abilities might have been a bit undercooked in the comics at the time (*cough*Invisible Girl*cough*).

I then discovered that I still had a blogger account (hello, 2010!), and that I could output my GCS files in a format that was pleasing to my eye (drawing from Dungeon Fantasy's standard monster format and the format Douglas Cole used in his Nordland Bestiary). So now I can inflict my work on the world.

The characters won't be posted in any sort of order*, though they will all be tagged so finding all of the Avengers (once they go up) won't be difficult. Eventually there will be an index page.

I don't consider these writeups to be definitive. They're meant mostly as a sort of 'platonic ideal' of the character as they were depicted in the comics at the time. I know I may have missed a few things. Or maybe I've included something that wouldn't be a part of the character until much later. Likewise, I'm not fishing for points or trying to get the most bang for the buck. I just want to make sure the character feels and plays right.

Above all, however, is that this is a learning process for me. My earlier writeups will no doubt be blunter and less elegant than those that come later. Any constructive comments are, of course, welcome.

If the math is wrong, however, blame GCS. ;)

*I've actually started posting in rough chronological order starting with the Fantastic Four (forgive the Masters of Evil for line-jumping, but they're, you know, evil). Can't promise I'll keep this up, but right now I've got posts scheduled through the beginning of May following this pattern.

My blog (such as it is): jeffsgurpsstuff.blogspot.com
cavesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:19 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Hey, It Turns out I Still Have a Blog.

You might be interested in looking over Phantasm's GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition thread. (Running since 2007, hm. That's probably some sort of record, since it was still active as recently as last week.) That thread of course has its own assumptions as to what version, when, and what scale of everything to model. But it's a similar project, so the compare-and-contrast might be of some value.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:41 PM   #3
cavesalamander

Default Re: Hey, It Turns out I Still Have a Blog.

Oh I have checked Phantasm’s site out and it’s an incredible piece of work. I might have even peaked at his stuff once or twice to see how he approached certain characters.

My project doesn’t have near the same scope or ambition, admittedly.

My blog (such as it is): jeffsgurpsstuff.blogspot.com
cavesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, gurps 4e, marvel, powers, supers