Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
RGTraynor

Default Question about Regeneration

So ... my wife's Filthy Rich princess has made an offer to a long-time acquaintance of hers: do you want me to set you up with a healer and have that eye regrown? To which the grizzled, middle-aged smuggler replies that she lost it in a bar fight many years ago, but sure.

And I paused in thought, and wondered: is there any kind of time limit to the Regeneration spell? The healer saying "Gosh, sorry, but thirty years is a really long time, this will take a miracle?" A number of other spells have cascading levels of minus as time goes by ... what do people think on the matter?

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Question about Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
is there any kind of time limit to the Regeneration spell?
I think not, simply because Regeneration is limited by "One try." If it's been thirty years, the subject may have to unlearn some of their adaptations to only having one eye, depending on how detailed you want to get.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:24 PM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
A number of other spells have cascading levels of minus as time goes by ... what do people think on the matter?
That's because they reach into the past though. Once you are past the point everything has healed to its final state (months, but not years) I don't see what changes about the injury with time.

And if you were reaching into the past to the last time your body was able to grow an eye, the time at issue isn't how long ago did you lose one, but how long ago were you *born*, since you were last able to grow one as an embryo.

I could imagine a spell variant that might have such a time limit - e.g. it might reach into the past and [copy] your previous eye - complete with any damage it might have had at that point, instead of growing you a new healthy one, I'm fairly sure that isn't the way the spell is intended to work.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
JulianLW

I think it'd be cool for the regenerated eye to be unusual in some way - have a bright yellow cast or be highly reflective or something - worth a Distinctive Features quirk.

Or you could just assess a steep penalty to the roll - maybe base it off the Timeport penalty? I wonder what penalty for 30 years....

*checks....

JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:32 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
That's because they reach into the past though. Once you are past the point everything has healed to its final state (months, but not years) I don't see what changes about the injury with time.
Realistically, I agree. Some metaphysics might have your morphic field or whatever eventually shift to include long-term injuries. As usual it's possible to invent a logic if one wants the outcome.

I don't see reason to want the outcome, though...
Old 03-11-2023, 11:11 PM   #6
Pursuivant

Per RAW, other than the one try only limit, there don't seem to be any other restrictions on the Regeneration spell.

Since you've got two PCs collaborating to help one of them buy off a disadvantage, it's entirely up to your play style as GM as to how fussy you want to be. If it makes a Filthy Rich character happy to throw her money around, and the one-eyed character is happy with the arrangement, I'd allow the Regeneration to go forward as a matter of course. Don't even both to roll. Regeneration spell happens, eye grows back, everyone adjusts their character sheets as necessary.

The only reason to be a jerk is if you've got drama planned. The local healer says, "Eye's been missing for thirty years? No way I'm going to touch that; I'm not good enough to do the job right. The person you need is in the city of Faraway over the Plotpoint Mountains. And they don't work for cash, they demand favors up front."
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:46 AM   #7
RGTraynor

The Filthy Rich character has the money to throw around. She'd just hired the newly-retired NPC ex-smuggler to be on her security team, playing Fairy Godmother is her raison d'être. Thank you, Pursuivant -- just letting it happen, zero roll, does no harm and doesn't affect gameplay in the least degree one way or another, and I shouldn't have lost sight of that plunging into theory.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:43 AM   #8
Lancewholelot

I would do the roll, just for the possibility of a failure, or even more interesting, a critical failure. An unexpected roll can create its own story.
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, regeneration, vision